2014 Monaco Grand Prix

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
astracrazy
astracrazy

Re: 2014 Monaco Grand Prix

Töm87 wrote:Does anyone know how long it takes to make Monaco ready for F1 racing each year?
Also, how do they do it? Surely they can't block those roads for several weeks? Do they only work at night for the most part so that the normal street traffic isn't touched too long?
months in advance. I know someone on facebook and they took photo's when they went there on business and all the stands etc. were going up. I can't remember exactly how long before but a few months. it was enough for me to think "what already!?"

johnsonwax
johnsonwax

Glyn wrote:I think you are over-estimating the competitiveness of the other teams.
Perhaps. My sense, however, is that the Mercs greatest advantage is on the long straights, which won't be of much help here. I don't think they're weak in any particular way, but I think some of their biggest strengths may be blunted here. Monaco these days is won and lost in quali, and while I would put Lewis as the best qualifier in the field, and Nico as perhaps the best around Monaco, the circuit is unforgiving. It's easy for the best driver/car to wind up in the armco, or held up due to yellow/red flags, etc. Merc will want to be conservative and bring their cars home. Drivers like Seb and Kimi will ignore team orders and go balls-to-the-wall if only to qualify ahead of their teammates.

Monaco isn't necessarily a question of technical advantage, but of risk management. No other circuit is quite like this (Canada and Singapore have their corners, but Monaco is the whole circuit.) And we don't have the clearest sense of how well the different cars compare around a relatively low-speed bumpy circuit. Merc could be even farther ahead here than elsewhere, but I think it's also possible that this is the one race where RB can get low-speed mechanical grip down and make a real run at the front. I think it's the only race that the other teams even stand a chance, even in the rain. If Merc lock out the front row here, then the season is well and truly over. Everyone else will be fighting to not get lapped the rest of the year.

And if it rains, well...I'll just note that Olivier Panis won Monaco in a Ligier. Anyone could win if it rains. As much as I want to see Lewis win, I cannot tell you how much I want it to rain... :lol:

beelsebob
beelsebob

johnsonwax wrote:
Glyn wrote:I think you are over-estimating the competitiveness of the other teams.
Perhaps. My sense, however, is that the Mercs greatest advantage is on the long straights
My sense is that it's in fact on the short straights. They gain in acceleration and breaking, not in top speed.

johnsonwax
johnsonwax

beelsebob wrote:My sense is that it's in fact on the short straights. They gain in acceleration and breaking, not in top speed.
Yeah, you're probably right. Looking at the speed data from the previous races, Merc was up to 10km/h slower in the speed trap than the fastest cars, but often had the fastest speed at start/finish. So they get up to speed much more quickly.

I'll still hope for rain.

Juzh

beelsebob wrote:
johnsonwax wrote:
Perhaps. My sense, however, is that the Mercs greatest advantage is on the long straights
My sense is that it's in fact on the short straights. They gain in acceleration and breaking, not in top speed.
They gain in all areas (compared to RB, other teams are pretty much irrelevant). short straight, long straight, top speed, the lot. Still, superior traction and higher corner entry speed can negate power disadvantage to some degree and that's why people seem to think RB will be closer to mercedes in monaco (if they do indeed have the edge in those departments, we shall see). That, and the fact that the less time you're on full throttle, the less time you will lose in outright acceleration. And monaco has the lowest % off all the tracks with 45%.

beelsebob
beelsebob

Juzh wrote:That, and the fact that the less time you're on full throttle, the less time you will lose in outright acceleration. And monaco has the lowest % off all the tracks with 45%.
Right, but you're still making the assumption that the engine doesn't affect breaking, which is not true.

Juzh

beelsebob wrote:
Juzh wrote:That, and the fact that the less time you're on full throttle, the less time you will lose in outright acceleration. And monaco has the lowest % off all the tracks with 45%.
Right, but you're still making the assumption that the engine doesn't affect breaking, which is not true.
It does, but why would you think merc is better on this?

marcush.
marcush.

a whitty Driver would brush the armco in rascasse or even better piscine and diving into the pits with supposed damage to a tyre .Sure delicate to have the right size of contact but this way nobody could complain...
Rosberg is not that Kind of guy...but he might be quick enough to beat lewis there nevertheless?

beelsebob
beelsebob

Juzh wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
It does, but why would you think merc is better on this?
Because we've seen especially the Renault teams complaining about breaking instability and locking wheels reasonably often, and the Ferrari teams less often but still so. The Merc teams seem to have this sorted in every single way.

djos

2014 Monaco Grand Prix

beelsebob wrote: Because we've seen especially the Renault teams complaining about breaking instability and locking wheels reasonably often, and the Ferrari teams less often but still so. The Merc teams seem to have this sorted in every single way.
Maybe the lower tier Renault Teams, and to some extent Vettel, but Dan seems to have no confidence issues under braking in his RBR.
"In downforce we trust"

Juzh

djos wrote:
beelsebob wrote: Because we've seen especially the Renault teams complaining about breaking instability and locking wheels reasonably often, and the Ferrari teams less often but still so. The Merc teams seem to have this sorted in every single way.
Maybe the lower tier Renault Teams, and to some extent Vettel, but Dan seems to have no confidence issues under braking in his RBR.
Vettel seemed to be fine in spain, but he was struggling in previous races somewhat. On the contrary we've seen both ham and ros locking up quite a lot when they were pushing each other for the last 10 laps. We'll just have to wait and see.

f1316
f1316

What sort of Monaco-specific packages do teams bring these days? Is it just big ol' barn door rear wings or something more than that?

Also, do we think it likely that teams will either a) change gear ratios specifically for Monaco (I suspect not but perhaps if it's their only opportunity to win this year...?) or b) have Monaco-friendly ratios now that they will change for Montreal?

mikeerfol

Since practice begins on Thursday, do we expect to see the first car photos tomorrow?

siskue2005

mikeerfol wrote:Since practice begins on Thursday, do we expect to see the first car photos tomorrow?
yes.

De Jokke

Wasn't it the fast corners where RBR excelled?

Monaco are all slow corners, so advantage remains with the mercs?
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!