2014 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
oT v1
oT v1

Re: 2014 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka

i hope they dont concrete the run-offs after so many mistakes were exposed in FP2 :o
The Power of Dreams

Caerdroia
Caerdroia

aleks_ader wrote:
Caerdroia wrote:
mrluke wrote:Awful Mercedes reliability shown in that table, just awful.
On that note: If the start time isn't changed and there's a high likelihood the race won't go ahead, then now would be a fantastic opportunity to take your 6 engine... effectively a free one.
emm the penalties could be carry forward to next races...
Penalties for power units are only carried forward if they're already far down on the grid. So if you qualify 21st but have a 10 place penalty for changing the engine, you'll get a 3 place grid penalty to put them 24th and then a 7th place grid penalty next race.

Regardless of whether the race actually goes ahead or not, the grid penalties are still given... so those that qualify higher than 14th won't have any penalty carried over to the next race.

Juzh

Shrieker wrote:You never know, the mercs are fragile and there's a very good chance of rain on Sunday.
Rain ain't gonna change things much up the front. Maybe hamilton will have an easier time with rosberg and RB might have an easier job with williams/ferrari, but that's about it. Merc simply has too much pace in hand.

Moose
Moose

Caerdroia wrote:
aleks_ader wrote:
Caerdroia wrote:On that note: If the start time isn't changed and there's a high likelihood the race won't go ahead, then now would be a fantastic opportunity to take your 6 engine... effectively a free one.
emm the penalties could be carry forward to next races...
Penalties for power units are only carried forward if they're already far down on the grid. So if you qualify 21st but have a 10 place penalty for changing the engine, you'll get a 3 place grid penalty to put them 24th and then a 7th place grid penalty next race.

Regardless of whether the race actually goes ahead or not, the grid penalties are still given... so those that qualify higher than 14th won't have any penalty carried over to the next race.
The ridiculous thing about this is that if someone at this point needed a whole new engine (all 6 parts) they'd get a 45 place grid drop (it's 10 for the first part, 5 for the second, 10 for the third etc). That would mean that even if they Qualified on pole, they'd start last, and still have a 22 place grid drop at the following race. You literally could qualify on pole twice, and start at the back twice with this rule set.

mikeerfol

Any chance we'll see rain for FP3/Quali?

SiLo

Moose wrote:
The ridiculous thing about this is that if someone at this point needed a whole new engine (all 6 parts) they'd get a 45 place grid drop (it's 10 for the first part, 5 for the second, 10 for the third etc). That would mean that even if they Qualified on pole, they'd start last, and still have a 22 place grid drop at the following race. You literally could qualify on pole twice, and start at the back twice with this rule set.
Pretty sure they just get a ten place grid drop, or put to last, whatever comes first. And the grid drop doesn't carry over either. That would be retarded...
Felipe Baby!

Caerdroia
Caerdroia

SiLo wrote:
Moose wrote:
Pretty sure they just get a ten place grid drop, or put to last, whatever comes first. And the grid drop doesn't carry over either. That would be retarded...
It was new for this year that grid penalties related to the power unit are carried over into the next race. However, there's also a clause that should the whole power unit be replaced then that results in a pitlane start, not a grid penalty. So the scenario of a 45 place penalty isn't possible. Technically, a 40 place penalty is possible but I imagine the team would just replace the whole unit in that case to avoid that.

RicerDude

mikeerfol wrote:Any chance we'll see rain for FP3/Quali?
Looks clear for Saturday.

mikeerfol

RicerDude wrote:
mikeerfol wrote:Any chance we'll see rain for FP3/Quali?
Looks clear for Saturday.
The calm before the storm then! :P

Jano11
Jano11

Moose wrote: The ridiculous thing about this is that if someone at this point needed a whole new engine (all 6 parts) they'd get a 45 place grid drop (it's 10 for the first part, 5 for the second, 10 for the third etc). That would mean that even if they Qualified on pole, they'd start last, and still have a 22 place grid drop at the following race. You literally could qualify on pole twice, and start at the back twice with this rule set.
All these new 'penalty' systems are rather ridiculous when you compare them to what we had in the past.
Common sense has long left Place de la Concorde.

Mr Alcatraz

Why Fred so fast on both compounds? I guess Alonso is really lite.
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

Sevach
Sevach

Mercedes superiority is hard to believe, i thought Williams and RBR would be closer.

Thus far they are smashing RBR even in the aero/chassis section :shock:

Youhavebeendunn

Mr Alcatraz wrote:Why Fred so fast on both compounds? I guess Alonso is really lite.
Maybe he will try to get one last pole at Ferrari?

Youhavebeendunn

Mr Alcatraz wrote:Why Fred so fast on both compounds? I guess Alonso is really lite.
Maybe he will try to get one last pole at Ferrari?

Pierce89

Sevach wrote:Mercedes superiority is hard to believe, i thought Williams and RBR would be closer.

Thus far they are smashing RBR even in the aero/chassis section :shock:
That's because a huge average power advantage allows you to run alot more wing. Singapore they were all on max df so Merc was shown to have a similar max df level similarto RBR and Ferrari.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher