F1 sold to Liberty Media. Bernie Out?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Tim.Wright

Re: F1 sold to Liberty Media. Bernie Out?

Moose wrote:Here's the easy solution to getting the best engine:

You can have any engine you like, but you're limited to 105kg of <insert spec> fuel for the race.
Easiest solution if your goal is to bankrupt the entire grid maybe.
Not the engineer at Force India

Vasconia

Tim.Wright wrote:

You can have any engine you like, but you're limited to 105kg of <insert spec> fuel for the race.
But more fuel would let the drivers push more.

FrukostScones

djos wrote:
ecapox wrote:I wonder how long it is going to take everyone to start hating Ross now that he is part of the governing group?
Depends on how big a target he paints on himself, just look at Jean Todt, he's dam near invisible so no-one really rags on him.
it just hit me, those two guys were responsible for the F1 alltime low ; Spielberg 2002: I really wanted to kick in my TV.

https://adamcooperf1.com/2010/07/26/the ... rs-affair/
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

djos

FrukostScones wrote:
djos wrote:
ecapox wrote:I wonder how long it is going to take everyone to start hating Ross now that he is part of the governing group?
Depends on how big a target he paints on himself, just look at Jean Todt, he's dam near invisible so no-one really rags on him.
it just hit me, those two guys were responsible for the F1 alltime low ; Spielberg 2002: I really wanted to kick in my TV.

https://adamcooperf1.com/2010/07/26/the ... rs-affair/
No-one is perfect. :mrgreen:
"In downforce we trust"

Andres125sx

zeph wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:I´m amazed about how many people will miss Bernie.... May I ask one single decision he made in past 15 years you´ll miss? Fair question, please reply.

Bernie did amazing things for F1, but that was 20-30 years back. Then in past 10-20 years he´s only make decisions to increase his own bank account. He surely think he built F1 as it is (and he´s probably right) so then he deserve the biggest part of the cake, and that´s what he´s been doing in past seasons, eating his own cake

But the cake is now significantly reduced, time to make a new one, and Bernie cannot be the one to make it again obviously
Nobody denies that he has been off his game for -say- the last ten years or so. I think nobody disagrees it is time for him to go.

But that doesn't mean I won't miss the old bugger being there. He is a familiar face that has been part of F1 since the beginning of time. A colorful character, always good for a laugh or WTF when interviewed.
I'd go as far as to say Bernie IS one of F1's big stars, and as much a part of the sport's history as Ferrari or McLaren.

He should have retired sooner, but with him gone, a part of F1's soul will have gone, too. The end of an era.
Probably I´m not that sentimental, I´ve always been a lot more pragmatical so my opinion about MrE have been tourning south season by season the past 10-15.

I will always be gratefull because of his good job decades back, but now when I see him, I instantly think about Magny Cours, Hockenheim, Imola.... and the tracks wich did replace those, Abu Dabhi, India, Singapore... with the only reason MrE taxes went so high no "normal" country will pay. In other words, he did prioritize his income to F1, as simple as that :x

Ideas like sprinklers, trumpets on the exhaust, sparks generators also come to my mind when I see his face. That was Bernie now, today, not that romantic idea some of you seem to hold from past eras. Since today MrE is far from good for F1, I was willing to see his exit, because I was seriously concerned about F1 existance with MrE on charge for many more years. This is a sincere feeling I´ve expresed more than once, I was not sure what would die first, MrE or F1 but I´m completely sure both could not survive togheter for too long

So yes, I´ll always be grateful for his past job, I also miss the old bugger, but I miss the old bugger since the 90's :wink: , his retirement will change nothing at the respect, maybe when you see him you still see that old bugger, but I don´t. To me that old bugger was replaced by a greedy elderly who was ruining F1 many years ago.

That´s the reason I didn´t stop happy dancing since I read the confirmation of his departure, best new for F1 in many many many years =D>

Andres125sx

As soon as he replaces some traditional and fun track like Magny Cours and replace it with a boring eastern track with empty stands because his income is better, or in other words, as soon as he start priotitizing his own wallet to F1 :wink:

Andres125sx

Sorry spanish, but an interesting article about Liberty Media targets for F1

The sad part is they will not be able to do what they want until concorde agreement expires in 2020

There´s a nice graph showing GP canons wich clearly show what Bernie did substituding traditional tracks with some wich do not add anything, but pay huge canons

http://www.marca.com/motor/formula1/201 ... b46e5.html

Also, it´s Marca, so take it with a grain of salt

dmjunqueira

jonas_linder wrote:
dmjunqueira wrote:With Bernie out, I hope they finally make a decent "free" F1 app. It wouldn't take much...Just put the live race info, that they already share (for free) on F1 website, inside the app. The current app doesn't show live race info unless you pay a ridiculously expensive premium feature. (Not mentioning the bad interface, bugs and crashes of the app.)
Sorry if this is OT.
Like 1-2 euro per race, is that ridiculously expensive? I would say that it is very good value for what it adds! Especially if you use it on a tablet where more information can be shown! Personally I never had it crash, what phone/pad are you using?
There is some time since I removed this app from my phone, so I don't know exactly the value they are currently charging for the premium feature in my country... But yes, IMHO it was very expensive and illogical since they share live timing FOR FREE on the F1 website. The only reason I can't see the live timing from the website on my phone is that it uses a java engine that doesn't run on mobile browsers. So I have to use my laptop to see it.
I use a regular Samsung Android phone and at least on it, the app was "buggy" sometimes.

iotar__

- Make no mistake it's not only new owners, (some) teams including perhaps future teams wanted Ecclestone gone. Archaic approach, technical and sporting rules incompetence (qualifying format) and outbursts of awkward hands on management (e.i. "Hamilton will be the champion", "would be the better champion") were only parts of the problem.

- Brawn's words about engine rules change plans (~2020?) look more interesting now in the context of new teams. Obviously no one can join hybrids F1 now and succeed. Same direction: gossips about money distribution changes and Brawn's caring about small teams. No one cares about small teams ;-) .

- Speaking of pants down, I read that good old Max Mosley is buying himself law in the good old Great Britain. Maybe Bernard E. can join him again? Two pillars of society.

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

Vasconia wrote:
Tim.Wright wrote:

105 kg is the 2017 limit. It's more about total freedom of the engine regulations and the extensive R&D costs that would most likely be incurred.

toraabe
toraabe

If F1 is going to be successful in USA you need an oval race . Michigan or Texas would have been nice venues :)

Vasconia

ChrisDanger wrote:
Vasconia wrote:
Tim.Wright wrote: Easiest solution if your goal is to bankrupt the entire grid maybe.
105 kg is the 2017 limit. It's more about total freedom of the engine regulations and the extensive R&D costs that would most likely be incurred.
Yes, I know. I was only mentioning that increasing of the fuel quantity would let the drivers push more. It woud have been an easier solution than a dramatic increasae of R&D which will kill the overtakes.

Andres125sx

toraabe wrote:If F1 is going to be successful in USA you need an oval race . Michigan or Texas would have been nice venues :)
Ok now you scared me! :?

Anycase I don´t think that will ever happen in F1, as GPs must be around 300km long, and that on an oval would not be possible as throttle percentage is dramatically higher than on any normal twisty track. They´d need an extra fuel tank, refuelling, or an embarrasingly low race pace to make the race with 105kg of fuel

Unc1eM0nty

Vasconia wrote:
ChrisDanger wrote:
Vasconia wrote:
Yes, I know. I was only mentioning that increasing of the fuel quantity would let the drivers push more. It woud have been an easier solution than a dramatic increasae of R&D which will kill the overtakes.
But in practice they all under fuel the car to save weight anyway, at some tracks when a safety car is likely they even allow for a few slow laps in their calculations.

FrukostScones

Bernie GP1 is coming

https://twitter.com/andrewbensonf1?lang=de

I'd rather have F3000 back.

Maybe he could start and make Formula 3.5 V8 into something.

I believe it when I see it anyway.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.