FOTA agrees to drop KERS from 2010

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
ISLAMATRON

Re: FOTA agrees to drop KERS from 2010

absolutely, exactly he formula KERS needs richard

has anyone else noticed that both McLaren & Ferrari are interested in putting a KERS type system in their not to distant road cars?

xpensive
xpensive

Thank you for your kind compliments WB. However, as every engineer knows, there are no such thing as one-sided figures, only correct or incorrect figures.

Kinetic energy is still mass times speed squared over two.

Surely you can confirm or correct my figures with ease, when I say that even if you double the KERS capacity to 800 kJ, it will only save you 0.1 liter of gasoline per lap on a typical track if you have an engine efficiency of 20%.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

WhiteBlue

They should unlimit the KERS potential and generally lower fuel allowance step by step to about 100 L/race. KERS could have 10% impact on such a formula.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

xpensive
xpensive

Now I'm beginning to be in more agreement with you WB, not taking KERS out of context, instead integrating the system in a general approach to make better use of the energy available.

Limiting fuel allowance together with giving incentives to reduce aerodynamic drag, when an F1 car of today's spends more than 500 kJ per second at 300 km/h.

ISLAMATRON

Guess we might get to see some KERS next year afterall

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/n ... 4439.shtml

I hope the FOTA teams stick to their guns and dont run it while Williams trounces them with their innovative flywheel system.

xpensive
xpensive

I saw somwhere something about college distance-classes in energy-analysis somewhere, didn't I?

WhiteBlue

It sounds very much like Williams and Mercedes are opposed to drop KERS. It requires unanimity to drop KERS and that may just not be on the cards. In this situation nobody can afford to build a car without KERS. That means it can be back at the drop of a hat. it also should be remembered that the minimum weight goes up by 15 kg from 605 to 620. That decision has remained in the rules because it was decided prior to the dead line.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

ISLAMATRON

so then KERS is all wheels and 800kj per lap?

The tires are really gonna suffer with all that extra weight next year, 15 kg more ballast and race fuel loads, and a smaller front tire, think we'll be seeing 3 stop strategies as a norm.

James_graham
James_graham

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlines/n ... 4439.shtml

Is this a plot to get back in FOTA or are they serious with the recent (all be it very track depedant and some errors on other peoples parts) success of KERS cars?

xpensive
xpensive

I think FOTA wants to drop KERS because it was an xtremely xpensive technical dead end.

Williams? Well, they need every bit of publicity they can get sponsor-wise, but I don't know if that spinning KERS-thing ever ran a lap yet? Anyone?

James_graham
James_graham

No not yet but if they are sucessful towrads the end of the season they may want to make it work in there car. Technology has been crash tested but not put on a car

Richard
Richard

WhiteBlue wrote:It requires unanimity to drop KERS and that may just not be on the cards.
KERS has been dropped by full agreement. It would take full agreement to bring it back. I suspect the non-FOTA teams are likely to work along FOTA lines, most likely because FOTA would consult them before making decisions.

James_graham
James_graham

Have the FIA banned it for next year?

xpensive
xpensive

If not, they should.

roost89
roost89

James_graham wrote:Have the FIA banned it for next year?
Nope. It's why the enws that Williams and F.I. may use it keeps cropping up. ONly FOTA teams have said they won't use it.
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green