Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2015

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
RicME85

Re: Khamsin Virtual Racecar Challenge 2015

Am I right in saying that K3.3, 3.4 and 3.5 prevent a duct that allows air to flow from under the car to on top of the diffuser?

cdsavage
cdsavage

RicME85 wrote:Am I right in saying that K3.3, 3.4 and 3.5 prevent a duct that allows air to flow from under the car to on top of the diffuser?
Pretty much, yes. If you have questions about a specific design, you can email me a copy and I'll have a look.

etsmc
etsmc

Well got my results...
Drag: 1415.76 N
Drag coefficient - Cd: 0.72
Drag area - Cd.A: 1.18 m2
Downforce: -1680.96 N
Downforce coefficient - Cl: -0.86
Downforce area - Cl.A: -1.40 m2
CoP of downforce: 0.817 m along streamwise (Y) direction from Y = 0.00 m.
KVRC Only: Corrected CoP of downforce: 1.234 m along streamwise (Y) direction from Y = 0.00 m.

Not much of an improvement unfortunately

CAEdevice

Finally I received the results: nothing special, I had a very high drag (about 1800N) and a quite low DF/DRAG ratio (4.4). My target is around 5th place this time.

cdsavage
cdsavage

Speed trap results from round 4 - there's a pretty wide range of setup choices, even at the front of the field:

CAEdevice

JJR and Mantium confirm the best efficiency, but Variante has interesting data too. I'm sorry about TF missing that race.
Last edited by CAEdevice on 24 Aug 2015, 08:19, edited 1 time in total.

LVDH

I might even have quite a bit of better efficiency compared to JJR but somehow my CFD did not match the results very well and my CoP is way off from what I anticipated, so I loose a lot of apex speed.

cdsavage
cdsavage

Results for round 4 - impressive result for Mantium, but CAEdevice with the highest downforce entry, and Variante with the lowest drag entry, are only 0.022s apart!

The entries marked as 'NC' were not fully rules-compliant.

CAEdevice

Very good result for Mantium (more than 0.6s faster than the couple of cars that follow in a short track).

CAEdevice and Variante obtained the same result with a totally different setup, but Variante's car is fully new, so we can expect big improvements in the next two races (mine, on the contrary, is almost fully developed, but I think I can find somewhere a way to add 50-100N of DF).

I'm happy with my low df rear wing, that worked as expected. I'm the only one who decided to use a full (rear and front wheels) F1 shaped car for the fast tracks: I'll probably go on with that solution for the next race at least.

LVDH

Haha,

what a result! Even the car is so happy it cannot keep it together:

After seeing the top and apex speeds I once more plotted them into a scatter plot. The interesting thing is that Variante, MantiumRAY and CAEdevice are on the pareto frontier:

So I was very curious to see how that will translate into positions. But interesting to see how far appart the designs are and yet come so close on the track.

This time I only posted a short article about the car:
http://mantiumcae.com/mantiumray-scores ... ry-in-kvrc

MadMatt
MadMatt

Well done guys. I am having very busy time this year (hell, I didn't even have time to write a blog article in 2 months), but I am keeping an eye on the competition, and I am very impressed by the cars shown. Just a shame some of the participents don't really discuss or create a dedicated thread to explain their cars. They could benefit from advices from the good teams!

On my side of things I will compete next season (for sure). I will definitely not have enough time to enter a round this year, but I hope the regulations for 2016 will be out not long after the end of this season so I can try to catch up a bit with the pack, as I should have some spare time at the end of this year.

In the meantime good job guys, I wish I had time to compete with you guys, and congrats to Mantium Ray for his performances, his improvements over the last races can clearly be seen!

CAEdevice

Well, the convergence between the competition and the professional interests is what the KVRC really need, well done Mantium!

I have great expectation too about the next season, and I agree with MadMatt: we need to start the discussion about the 2016 rules (I hope they will be an evolution of 2014 o or 2015 rules, no need to invent something new).

I also hope to find some time to update the CAEdevice thread too.

CAEdevice

PS: I would have a request for Julien. Would it be possible to have an additional couple of images when OCCFD post processes the results? A plane view from the top and another from the bottom would be very useful.

MadMatt
MadMatt

Like in F1, keeping the current regs will only make the current strong team even stronger, but its part of the game for the newcomers to overcome that disadvantage, like Mantium did this season. I also think that keeping the current rulebook is a good idea. I know the season isn't finished but imo:

- increase/decrease engine size
- increase/decrease cooling requirements
- increase rear wing template dimensions

I don't mind seeing diffuser/floor regulations stay the same, because allowing more freedom would allow more exotic solutions to be used, which means some people won't actually have time to experiment.

I haven't got any plan or idea yet on what the car will be like next year, the one I had for this year was pretty good, but limited me in many domains. I would like to make a car even simpler than what it looked like, but focus on making it work good. Back to the basics, in a sense.

Finally, something that prevented people to enter the competition is the lack of plots/pictures. I hope the organizers will release more pictures of the cars' pressure/velocity plots after the season is completed in order to attract more people or help people to understand what worked and what didn't. Some would say this is unfair, but I think that this competition is more about learning and discussing solutions than a real competition, although I see the competition is tough here! :)

CAEdevice

MadMatt wrote:Like in F1, keeping the current regs will only make the current strong team even stronger
I have a different opinion (about F1 too): new rules are good for the teams that have better skills and can design a car knowing what they are doing. Weak teams on the contrary take advantages from keeping the rules because the can try to imitate other teams and to experiment different solutions even without completely understand how thy work :)