McLaren MCL33

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
cramr
cramr

Re: McLaren MCL33

godlameroso wrote:
10 May 2018, 22:17
Vanja #66 wrote:
10 May 2018, 22:12
godlameroso wrote:
10 May 2018, 22:08
Do you think it possible that some teams experiment with channeling air through the nose through the car to exit as as micro jets to help seal the diffuser?
You mean all the way trough the car?
Yes duct the air coming through the nose and speed it up so that it exits as a jet near the diffuser, maybe to add energy to any vortecies interacting with the rear wheel to limit it's effect on squirt. Or maybe to help with places that are prone to flow separation.

https://arc.aiaa.org/doi/10.2514/1.8552
If I'm not wrong that's not really possible since it's not allowed to have any air duct passing through the cockpit (to avoid possible F-duct and things like that in the past). Besides that it would be hard to keep enough momentum in that flow to "survive" in good condition an almost 6 meters trip. You are probably better off getting a good cokeline flow that bringing it from the front of the car

mclaren111

Thunder wrote:
10 May 2018, 18:49
... and i still don't know where that S-Duct exit is... :?:
Also very surprised that there is no S-Duct !! :o :o

adrianjordan

I look forward to getting to see the underside of the new nose. Where the cape is just looks very bulky from the outside (may be an illusion created by the block of orange....maybe if they'd painted the lower part black it wouldn't look as big), but I suspect those side sections are actually slim flow conditioners and there's something else going on that we can't see from the nose ducts...
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

GoranF1
GoranF1

Rear brake ducts also different.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

michl420
michl420

In front view you can see through the slots on the side of the new nose, so they use not the same rule loophole as the force india nostrils. My question is, how fits this nose in the "just one cross section" rule? :?

mclaren111

GoranF1 wrote:
11 May 2018, 09:02
Rear brake ducts also different.
Can you post a picture ?

Nonserviam85
Nonserviam85

mclaren111 wrote:
11 May 2018, 08:39
Thunder wrote:
10 May 2018, 18:49
... and i still don't know where that S-Duct exit is... :?:
Also very surprised that there is no S-Duct !! :o :o
I think I saw some exits painted in black on the back sides of the nose but this doesn’t look like a standard S duct configuration

Thunder

Some good Pictures here:
[media]https://twitter.com/ScarbsTech/status/9 ... 6869186561[/media]
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

OviJohn
OviJohn

An interesting video describing/ analyzing the changes and possible aerodynamic effects of new front and other upgrades:

https://youtu.be/MSD9vv56bK0

Kudos to CPR at Autosport forums for the find!

matt_s
matt_s

One question I have:

Why is the nose ducted on the sides like the FI/Sauber? If you compare the length of the 'tip' to that of the RBR, they are pretty much the same. What benefit is there to create the nostrils rather than just have then open? Where are they ducting the air?

EDIT: To clarify, FI are doing the nostrils to get the holes further up the sides of the nose than the otherwise could. McLaren aren't doing this. The are also not using them to channel the air in behind the nose, because they don't appear to exit above the cape. So what does this allow them to do that a RBR tip doesn't?

Macklaren
Macklaren

I'm surprised at the lack of aero rakes/flo-vis etc in FP1 so far. but early pace looks promising...

Edit: OK flo-vis on now...

Sevach
Sevach

gridwalker
gridwalker

matt_s wrote:
11 May 2018, 11:14
One question I have:

Why is the nose ducted on the sides like the FI/Sauber? If you compare the length of the 'tip' to that of the RBR, they are pretty much the same. What benefit is there to create the nostrils rather than just have then open? Where are they ducting the air?

EDIT: To clarify, FI are doing the nostrils to get the holes further up the sides of the nose than the otherwise could. McLaren aren't doing this. The are also not using them to channel the air in behind the nose, because they don't appear to exit above the cape. So what does this allow them to do that a RBR tip doesn't?
I believe it is down to widening the gap between the pylons in order to maximise flow to the cape.

Moving the wing pylons wider increases the surface area of the nose. This creates space above the minimum regulated requirement at the nose tip, so it is better to reduce the impact by adding ducts. Although not as good as free flow air, the overall volume should be increased.
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

matt_s
matt_s

Interesting. So Scarbs reckons they might vent out behind the nose above the cape.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare