USF1 -- F1's All-American Challenger

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
djos

Re: USF1 -- F1's All-American Challenger

xpensive wrote:Looking at the Windshear website, there is no mentioning of Anderson whatsoever, not in the News archive either.

http://www.windshearinc.com/

You can also find the original article from Road & Track as a .pdf there, written by none less than Jim Hall.
Still no reference to Anderson though, guess Wired were being a little creative with their piece?

You are just pissed-off because you consider Windsor an Australian, when he was raised in Disney...sorry, Sydney.
So what if there is nothing on the Windshear site site, show me any other high tech wind-tunnel project on this scale that lists who was involved? The article you refer to doesn't mention anyone involved aside from Gene Haas the owner which proves absolutely nothing!

I could care less that Windsor was raised in Australia! [-X
"In downforce we trust"

WhiteBlue

I must say that the new web site is not a big surprise, isn’t it? They are doing a bit of what they have announced and let much more out about their development than other teams would. But they are not supposed to be front runners with their first car either. So we may have to wait a bit to see if this kind of openness continues.
xpensive wrote:One can't help wondering what incentives the FIA had to pick USF1 before the Richards/Prodrive/Aston Martin effort?
There is no secret about that. Richards didn't order a Cosworth lump, USF1 did full stop.
xpensive wrote:That website? Well, I've seen teenager's sites far more elaborate than that, while for those "partners", please note that McLaren was listed too.
I don't think that web design will be their forte. I expect them to use video a lot more than other teams do. I like it for the fresh approach. Being a user of the McLaren standard ECU I do not see a reason why they cannot list them as technical partner. Many F1 supply contracts have elements of publicity instead of money, why not the McLaren? McLaren might be interested to penetrate the US automotive custom sector further and the reference could be usefull. If USF1 keep up with the Youtube feeds from their US and Spanish base and from races the auto nuts in the US will visit their channel quite a lot.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

xpensive
xpensive

Truth is that Anderson is a phoney, according to his CV he was Technical director of Ligier and Onyx in F1, both gone.
The case of Ligier is simply not true, an American as Technical director for Guy Ligier? Get the f**k out of here!
Onyx, well, in that operation anything could happen from a day to day basis with van Rossem and later Monteverdi.

Come on, Aussies are the same flagwaving kind as Americans, supporting Williams because Michael is Aussie is typical.

And djos, go easy on the eggnog, ok?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Mystery Steve
Mystery Steve

There's not really a whole lot of flag waving going on here, but there is a lot of flag stomping... These "flag wavers" are people who know how to take a deep breath and chill out for a second. They are people who realize that USF1 have more important things to worry about than providing us updates on their progress once a week or updating a website. The point of F1 is to race cars, not see who can hire the most creative web designer.

No one here is claiming that they have an uber-awesome design and they're going to reinvent F1. The prevailing attitude is that having a US based team could possibly be a refreshing change for the sport, and we (Americans and otherwise) hope that they bring their best effort, and we'll see what happens when the green flag drops in March.

Granted, Windsor and Anderson may have embellished their resumes, but that's not grounds for dragging down an entire organization. There are still plenty of hardworking employees at USF1 who are trying their best to get a car built with the resources they have. Besides, a car isn't any slower or faster based on the assembly table used. Sometimes a little adversity is better for the greater long-term goal. Wouldn't you agree?

WhiteBlue

Mystery Steve wrote:No one here is claiming that they have an uber-awesome design and they're going to reinvent F1. The prevailing attitude is that having a US based team could possibly be a refreshing change for the sport, and we (Americans and otherwise) hope that they bring their best effort, and we'll see what happens when the green flag drops in March.
=D> =D> =D>

It is great to have an American team back in F1 and let us enjoy it if they make it to the grid. They sure enough will have a different style and deserve a round of applause for taking the sport deeper into the US market. We have enough fake national teams (FI, MercGP, Red Bull) who only play the national anthem and run a shop in the UK. Actually only Ferrari, Sauber and Toro Rosso are putting up a real effort outside of England. So showing the world how it is done the American way will enrich the F1 experience.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

djos

Well Said Mystery Steve and WhiteBlue! =D>
"In downforce we trust"

Richard
Richard

djos wrote:Some of you Euro types really pi$$ me of with all the negative BS directed at USF1 and pretty much anyone in F1 who isn't a European!
What I see is a technical forum having at a media chap who could fill a hot air balloon trying to be technical.

xpensive
xpensive

Firstly, I find a nationalistic approach to F1 completely out of today's context, I thought Prost GP was the last of that.

Secondly, I find absolutely nothing technical to be xcited about in this USF1, a "Technical director" who worked briefly with two minnows in F1 twenty years ago, a "generic" tub without even the cut-outs for a proper DDD that scarbs mentioned,
a 6000-series Aluminium suspensionbracket, H-section wishbones with ball-joints and a pathetically small autoclave?

WhiteBlue

xpensive wrote:Firstly, I find a nationalistic approach to F1 completely out of today's context, I thought Prost GP was the last of that.
What would be the basis for accusing USF1 of a nationalistic approach? National would be ok, IMO. Would you accuse Ferrari of being nationalistic? Having some nations competing in F1 by team ownership or driver participation helps create interest in F1 and makes the sport stronger.

I would call an approach to F1 nationalistic when a team thinks that the national resources are highly superior and they would only employ personnel or suppliers of their own nationality discriminating against other nations. I believe that isn't the case at USF1. They use American engineers and suppliers for efficiency but employ foreign nationals equally when they bring the required qualifications.

xpensive
xpensive

Haven't you picked up on anything of what Windsor has been rambling about for the past year, showcasing US-technology and engineering skills, "the first US-built F1 car since Dan Gurney's Eagle...", US-drivers and whatever?

Sometimes I think people might be right about you WB, you just want to argue for the sake of argument?

WhiteBlue

xpensive wrote:Haven't you picked up on anything of what Windsor has been rambling about for the past year, showcasing US-technology and engineering skills, "the first US-built F1 car since Dan Gurney's Eagle...", US-drivers and whatever?
That is hardly nationalistic. Sure they have a national focus but that is legitimate IMO.
xpensive wrote:Sometimes I think people might be right about you WB, you just want to argue for the sake of argument?
Not at all. Who is making personal remarks about other forumers instead of analysing their points? I think you don't have a leg to stand on.

spacepig
spacepig

xpensive wrote:Truth is that Anderson is a phoney, according to his CV he was Technical director of Ligier and Onyx in F1, both gone.
The case of Ligier is simply not true, an American as Technical director for Guy Ligier? Get the f**k out of here!
Congratulations, you're the biggest hypocrite on the internet. I would hope you get sued for libel, except I can't imagine anyone in the world gives a crap what you think.

Here's a Saward article from November 1, 1989:
There was a big technical reshuffle at Ligier in 1989 and an American - Ken Anderson - found himself in charge of the engineering team at Magny-Cours
http://www.grandprix.com/ft/ft00017.html

And another:
http://www.grandprix.com/gpe/cref-andken.html

xpensive
xpensive

It says nowhere in said interview that Anderson thought of himself as a "Technical director", au contraire:

"Basically Guy (Ligier, my note) oversees the whole project. We've been so flat out, we really haven't had time to say 'Okay, you're the boss man'. We're all pulling our share of the load.

Anyway, just a couple of months after that interview he had moved to Onyx as Stefan Johansson's race engineer,
which seems to be the kind of position he has been comfortable with since then?

donskar
donskar

Hey, "xpensive," instead of trotting out your old, tired, jingoistic anti-US refrain, how about regaling us with the glories of the Swedish auto industry?
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

xpensive
xpensive

I much rather roll myself in the misery of the US auto industry. You know the feeling don, when you've got a cold and meet someone with the flu, you feel so much better! :lol:

But seriously, I have never ever criticized "USF1" for being American. But crap is crap, no matter where from.