Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Squid
Squid

Re: Honda Power Unit

Sure, Honda overpromised and underdelivered for almost 3 years, but you have to put that in context to make any predictions regarding the future.

The lack of a good base engine to develop from hurt Honda a lot during the past years. If spec 4 delivers a good platform, I can see Honda improving a lot in 2018. Look at 2016. Despite the flawed concept, they still managed to improve it. 2017's engine went backwards, but it's an entirely different concept. We know that Honda is capable of improving on a previous engine, and we know they are capable of improving on a bad platform. Knowing this, wouldn't it be fair to consider that they are capable of improving a lot with a good platform?

I hope Honda introduces spec 4 this year. Just a few race weekends provide invaluable data that they can use to iron out problems. If they still have correlation issues, track time is even more important for them.

godlameroso

Honda is still updating the current power unit, I still think by Suzuka we should see another step forward. They already had one in Monza, Honda's progress has been delayed but now they're on the right track. The PU is entering the adolescent phase it's just a matter of time for the typical adolescent changes to happen. It looks like Red Bull is taking things from McLaren, first sponsorship, then fuels and lubricants and finally the power unit.
Last edited by turbof1 on 05 Oct 2017, 11:54, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed off topic debacle
Saishū kōnā

dren

aleshondas wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 13:18
Now Honda can work in peace and get ready for Redbull....
If the Red Bull move is a given, now that Renault is pulling out, perhaps that working relationship can happen sooner than later. Didn't Red Bull help Renault with their ERS?
Honda!

godlameroso

ZakB wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 12:59
McMika98 wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 12:54
ZakB wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 10:30
He's proven wrong various times.
Wow! Seriously. This from the mouth of someone whose most reliable source is the Benson's Bull Crap. To paraphrase: "You are an incorrigible delinquent. Behave yourself"
Yeah, at least Wazari isn't biased. I suggest you read the premium article on Autosport about Honda. Three targets set, not one achieved.
[/quote]

The schedule wasn't kept, the targets took longer to achieve than anticipated, but they are starting to deliver. Vandoorne had the pace to be in the top 10 in Monza of all places. They couldn't do that at all the last two years.
Saishū kōnā

f1rules
f1rules

his tweet https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 2434392065
Translated from Spanish by Bing Wrong translation?
4.0 specification Honda is scheduled for USA or Mexico. You will begin to notice the hand of Illien. Will be the base motor development 2018 for TR

-wkst-
-wkst-

In a world of 100% secrecy I've always wondered why Honda would let one of their engineers publish inside information.
Nothing to ad.

HPD

f1rules wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 14:05
his tweet
https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 2434392065

4.0 specification Honda is scheduled for USA or Mexico. You will begin to notice the hand of Illien. Will be the base motor development 2018 for TR
Translation is very well We hope @ Wazari can confirm something.

I always see Albert Fabrega in movistar. He always tries to defend Honda.

drunkf1fan
drunkf1fan

godlameroso wrote:

The schedule wasn't kept, the targets took longer to achieve than anticipated, but they are starting to deliver. Vandoorne had the pace to be in the top 10 in Monza of all places. They couldn't do that at all the last two years.
First off, Vandoorne absolutely did not have the pace to finish top 10 in Monza, at all, his car failed while he was in 10th... he hadn't made his pitstop, when he made his pitstop he was 100% going to end up behind Sainz meaning 14th, that is the pace he had. He was the only man to have not made a pitstop.

Then he was running about 10 seconds ahead of Alonso and would have come out 10 seconds ahead but was on the softer tire then Alonso would have likely been faster over the last stint, Alonso was 123 seconds behind before he slowed down then retired, 123 seconds behind on lap 49 that is. In 2016 Button finished only 91 seconds behind in Monza.

Even if you argued Vandoorne would have finished 10th(he absolutely wouldn't have at all), it was still going to be significantly further behind than Mclaren finished in 2016. Position is irrelevant to performance. If 15 cars get in one crash and a Mclaren finished 3rd with two Saubers behind, that doesn't change their performance and if they finished 100 seconds behind and finished 3rd they are still 100 seconds behind. Time behind is relevant when comparing performance to the teams Honda and Mclaren want to beat. They didn't have an improvement in Monza, they weren't more competitive at Monza this year than last year.

Keep in mind that Vandoorne before his car issues was 75 seconds down on lap 31 of the race, while Button was 91 seconds down after the full race and that included 2 pitstops to the leaders 1 stop. Both years Merc's were absolutely cruising out front for the majority of the race under zero pressure and could absolutely have gone faster as well.

As such I would also say that on the idea they are starting to deliver on their targets, no they really aren't. They were pretty much 3 seconds off the leaders pace in Spa and Monza, and it doesn't matter if those are power tracks and at a few tracks the gap is less because they actually have to race and be competitive at all tracks to go for a title and that was both Mclaren and Honda's goal for 2016 let alone late 2017. They are an absolute mile off in performance and there is absolutely no sign of large gains at all. The best Mclaren/Honda were looking at was 14/15th in Monza and that is with a far superior chassis to all those around them up to Red Bull, with a similar budget and chassis quality to a TR or anyone else they'd have been fighting even further back. But neither driver finished the race either, along with dire performance they had two retirements and couldn't even handle that miserable pace without breaking.

McMika98
McMika98

HPD wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 14:14

Apparently he has ties going back to the Super Aguri days, hence a soft spot. At least he does not throw out random numbers and has more credible sources.

j.yank
j.yank

drunkf1fan wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 14:29
godlameroso wrote:

First off, Vandoorne absolutely did not have the pace to finish top 10 in Monza, at all, his car failed while he was in 10th... he hadn't made his pitstop, when he made his pitstop he was 100% going to end up behind Sainz meaning 14th, that is the pace he had. He was the only man to have not made a pitstop.
OK, ask yourself why they did hold him 32 laps on supersoft instead of cover the strategy of cars that were obviously slower than him (ask Kvyat about this).

GoranF1
GoranF1

f1rules wrote:
his tweet
https://twitter.com/AlbertFabrega/statu ... 2434392065

Yes...another 3.4 HP boost.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

ZakB
ZakB

McMika98 wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 14:43
HPD wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 14:14

Apparently he has ties going back to the Super Aguri days, hence a soft spot. At least he does not throw out random numbers and has more credible sources.
Random numbers lol, the sources I quote already published this 'news' before the summer break. :D
  • Everything that isn't positive (random figures, rumor)
  • Everything that brings huge improvement (truth)
Credible sources huh... #-o

Andres125sx

asendra wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 12:54
I just wanted to share some info that a Spanish newspaper posted yesterday about how bad the Honda situation is.
https://www.elconfidencial.com/amp/depo ... n_1442947/

First of all, sorry if I translate some terms incorrectly. I'm just a car fan with zero real technical knowledge in engines.

The gist of it is they claim Honda engineers did an experiment at Sakura this summer, putting the SuperGT ICE (4cil 2000cc) with the fuel and lubricants used in Formula 1 on the dyno, to try understand how much they were worth and to quantify the real power loss they had (not sure how that would work?).

The results of the test, they say, was that the SuperGT ICE gained around 50cv from the formula 1 fuel/lubricant, going from ~600cv to ~650cv, SURPASSING the power output of their formula 1 ICE (630-640cv)
Well, one is a 2 litres turbo engine, while the other is a 1.6 litre hybrid wich must take advantage of the mgu-H, so a similar power output is far from the disaster that article is trying to imply :roll:

Andres125sx

carisi2k wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 11:05
Maybe Honda might have 4 cars in 2018 instead of only 2 with the Red Bull Renault relationship apparently at it's end according to reports. The Honda engine might make leaps and bounds with Red Bull technology assistance.
It´s amazing how some people think a company who has never built an engine can improve Honda engineers work #-o

aleshondas
aleshondas

dren wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 14:01
aleshondas wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 13:18
Now Honda can work in peace and get ready for Redbull....
If the Red Bull move is a given, now that Renault is pulling out, perhaps that working relationship can happen sooner than later. Didn't Red Bull help Renault with their ERS?

Yes and what make me happy red Bull and honda have great relationship in other sports. All my heart is to honda make a monster. Sory for May poor english