Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
fellowhoodlums
fellowhoodlums

Re: Honda Power Unit

Remember when Honda were "asked" to go down the size 0 route and have, according to Boullier, only just achieved it this year?

McLaren brought in some of Adrian Newey's team from RB a few years back and tight, small packaging was always his philosophy.

Perhaps, as I think someone said, TR will be the test project for Newey design around a low cog, tightly packaged Honda engine which can then be implemented into RB in 2019 in a more mature state and when the Honda power is competitive.

etusch

fellowhoodlums wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 17:07
Remember when Honda were "asked" to go down the size 0 route and have, according to Boullier, only just achieved it this year?

McLaren brought in some of Adrian Newey's team from RB a few years back and tight, small packaging was always his philosophy.

Perhaps, as I think someone said, TR will be the test project for Newey design around a low cog, tightly packaged Honda engine which can then be implemented into RB in 2019 in a more mature state and when the Honda power is competitive.
This year Redbull tried low drag concept. Apparently it didn't worked. But if there is a way to make it work with more competitive Honda concept, I think it would be great combination fighting for title.

diffuser

I wonder if we're gonna keep seeing Honda PU updates this year?

damager21
damager21

For sake of Honda, I am hoping in little over a month from now, we get to finally see the much talked about Spec 4.0 engine with a significant improvement in power and hence lap time. That should give Honda the much needed impetus and confidence going into 2018 to bring down the gap to Mercedes significantly.

If the current gap is 70hp and Honda can bring it down to 35hp, that will be great as it will be the closest they have been to Mercedes all these 3 years. The focus for next year will clearly be on bridging this gap of 35hp + whatever Mercedes will gain over the winter and improve on ERS + Combustion efficiency

Beating Mercedes or Ferrari engine in terms of output in 2018 looks difficult but Renault should be possible

dren

diffuser wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 17:55
I wonder if we're gonna keep seeing Honda PU updates this year?
I fully expect updates to ERS and engine mapping along with reliability updates. The combustion update seems up in the air at the moment.
Honda!

etusch

damager21 wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 18:16
For sake of Honda, I am hoping in little over a month from now, we get to finally see the much talked about Spec 4.0 engine with a significant improvement in power and hence lap time. That should give Honda the much needed impetus and confidence going into 2018 to bring down the gap to Mercedes significantly.

If the current gap is 70hp and Honda can bring it down to 35hp, that will be great as it will be the closest they have been to Mercedes all these 3 years. The focus for next year will clearly be on bridging this gap of 35hp + whatever Mercedes will gain over the winter and improve on ERS + Combustion efficiency

Beating Mercedes or Ferrari engine in terms of output in 2018 looks difficult but Renault should be possible
If I am not wrong 30-40 hp from spec 4 had said before spec 3.5. After that claim revialed spec 3.6 and 3.7 came. I think spect 4 is not 35 hp anymore because of updates which are part of spec 4.
Of course there are peoples here have very good technical knowledge but I still believe Honda's biggest problem is turbo and mgu-h efficiency. And I believe most powerful area of Mercedes is that too.
Correct me if I am wrong, in 2016 Honda become more competitive than 2015 with their concentration on ERS, exhaust and intake area. I think it is still the same. Yes they need more power from ice but they need more electric more than more power on ice.

restless
restless

spec4 is not about max ICE power, but about fuel efficiency

nzjrs

Squid wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 19:11
godlameroso wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 13:54
In any case why is ZakB posting here, he should be posting in the Renault PU thread.
He'll still be posting here in 2018 when McLaren will have nothing to do with Honda anymore. He's not posting here out of love for McLaren, but out of hate for Honda.
There's a handful of users so toxic that its ruining this whole place. I worry if it stays like this much longer then this place will soon be no better than reddit.

nzjrs

ZakB wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 20:53
nzjrs wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 19:29
Squid wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 19:11

He'll still be posting here in 2018 when McLaren will have nothing to do with Honda anymore. He's not posting here out of love for McLaren, but out of hate for Honda.
There's a handful of users so toxic that its ruining this whole place. I worry if it stays like this much longer then this place will soon be no better than reddit.
It's a forum. You guys constantly get offended when Honda get's attacked. It's full of quotes from sources that are biased and every source that's critical is a liar. Stop acting like a bunch of fanboys. If McLaren produces a sh!t stain next year I will be the first to admit that, no problem at all. I don't see the point of defending a brand like your life depends on it.
Some of us try to have a level headed and calm discussion about the engine and the process of developing it. And you come here pissing all over the discussion and making it personal and about who is a fan of what. I encourage the mods to take a position on what sort of place they want to have here.

loner

I encourage all the non engineers members who know nothing about the PU and iam the first one to stop posting in this thread starting from the official announcement tomorrow and the end of this saga.
lets feed our thoughts from the respectable knowledge members with satisfied reads in silence.
para bellum.

PlatinumZealot

Wazari wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 07:43
Without going into details, the roll-out of the "Spec 4" whether this season or next will not have the "teething" problems that this current PU had. It will have been more "seasoned" that any other PU even before it gets attached to the chassis. The chassis to PU relationship is the biggest unknown but typically not a big hurdle unless the layout and weight distribution deltas between the old/new PU's are significant.

I am confident that the next configuration PU will be a pleasant surprise. Also don't place too much credence to the HP deltas published by journalists. Some of the figures make me laugh out loud. As I said before, ERS management and fuel efficiency are the biggest hurdles now and the hurdles are getting much smaller.
So wAzari san i take it then:

Torro rosso chassis fitment this year confrmed.

Honda Aerospace input tried and tested.. Confirmed..

Race Horsepower to match or exceed renault in spec 4 confirmed..
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

PlatinumZealot

restless wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 19:09
spec4 is not about max ICE power, but about fuel efficiency
In this formula they are one in the same.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

PlatinumZealot

loner wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 21:45
I encourage all the non engineers members who know nothing about the PU and iam the first one to stop posting in this thread starting from the official announcement tomorrow and the end of this saga.
lets feed our thoughts from the respectable knowledge members with satisfied reads in silence.
I said this on page 100 something and got pelted with monkey dung! Good luck!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

Wazari

PlatinumZealot wrote:
14 Sep 2017, 22:32

So wAzari san i take it then:

Torro rosso chassis fitment this year confrmed.

Honda Aerospace input tried and tested.. Confirmed..

Race Horsepower to match or exceed renault in spec 4 confirmed..
Sorry but I don't know what you're asking? Toro Rosso chassis fitment this year? Honda Aerospace input? Race HP to match or exceed Renault? All confirmed?

Since some of you are asking, even demanding answers from me, please don't get offended if I don't answer each one personally. Whether or not Spec 4 get released to McLaren this season is IMO only, not going to happen now. I have my reasons for my opinion and elect not to share them at this time. Maybe when this whole mess settles down and if the Spec 4 is not released this season, then I will share my thoughts.

As far as Spec 4 HP increase, it will be greater than the 3.4 HP that some seem to think. The reason I believe it will not suffer the bugs as other new versions is that this configuration has been built and tested during the winter and has been continuously being tested and improved since then.
“If Honda does not race, there is no Honda.”

“Success represents the 1% of your work which results from the 99% that is called failure.”

-- Honda Soichiro

PlatinumZealot

Those were not questions. I was joking. Never mind. :wink:

I forgot u are from the older generation so you would not get the joke then.

In any case we hope Spec 4 expectations do not go the way of a certain video game named Half-life 3.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN