Canadian GP 2011 - Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
kakogohrena
kakogohrena

Re: Canadian GP 2011 - Circuit Gilles Villeneuve

added tyre info:

Lap chart

S = Soft compound
SS = Super Soft compound
W = Wet tyre
I = Intermediate tyre
N = New compound
U = Used compound
DT = Drive through

myurr
myurr

HampusA wrote:Button was 100% on the racing line. What some people forget is that it´s drizzling down and the corner turns right. So you position yourself almost as far to the left as possible to do the least amount of steering and get as straight of a braking zone as possible.

Hamilton has a two pairs of brakes which he should have used.
There's no god given right to hold the racing line if another car is there. The rules are explicit, you cannot run another car off the road, and make no mention of racing lines.

Hamilton thought Button had seen him and didn't think he would run him off the road, so he went for the gap. Button, for his part, says he didn't see him and unintentionally pushed him into the wall. Racing incident.

Yes Hamilton could have played it safe, but playing it safe against a dominant Red Bull isn't going to win him the championship any more than crashing out is. He has to go for it and give it a shot, even if it ultimately means he loses out, as it's the only way he'll ever have a chance of winning.

When Button went past Webber by slamming a car on slicks across a wet track, IF he'd stuffed it into the wall there'd be all kinds of name calling on here saying he should have played it safe. He didn't, took a gamble, and this time it paid off. Hamilton took a gamble and it didn't pay off, but to play it safe would mean Vettel would still walk away with the championship. Sometimes your only option is to throw the dice. Vettel is lucky in that his car is so dominant in qualifying that he's not having to take those risks, otherwise he too would be having bad days at the office every now and then just as any driver would.

zeph
zeph

Hamilton should consider himself lucky to have fans as devoted as Ringo and Myurr.

Sheez, even he himself admitted it was an error of judgement. It happens. Does not mean he is not great.

And just because he had two s--t races does not mean he is losing it, either. He just needs to keep his cool.
myurr wrote: Yes Hamilton could have played it safe, but playing it safe against a dominant Red Bull isn't going to win him the championship any more than crashing out is.
He shouldn't have played it safe. He should have played it smart. And patient.

myurr
myurr

One thing that I don't think has been picked up on is that Vettel set his best middle sector time of the entire race under waved yellow flags, whereas Button backed off by a couple of tenths. Given that other drivers have been given a drive through for this, should Vettel have been investigated and reprimanded, or even given a penalty? Why is Vettel's situation different?

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

zeph wrote:Hamilton should consider himself lucky to have fans as devoted as Ringo and Myurr.
Lucky or scared?
zeph wrote:Sheez, even he himself admitted it was an error of judgement. It happens. Does not mean he is not great.
But that's not good enough Zeph. It is a question of pride on here. Ultimately, they will arrive at the same conclusion as Hamilton after a bit more hyperbole. :lol:

We all like to think the guy we support is infallible however there is no harm in admitting they made a mistake, after all they are merely a human (shock horror!!).

andrew
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

myurr wrote:One thing that I don't think has been picked up on is that Vettel set his best middle sector time of the entire race under waved yellow flags, whereas Button backed off by a couple of tenths. Given that other drivers have been given a drive through for this, should Vettel have been investigated and reprimanded, or even given a penalty? Why is Vettel's situation different?
Did he? I don't recall anyhting being mentioned in the coverage but it is not uncommon for things to be missed on the terrible BBC commentary.

Was the yellow flag in the middle sector?

freedom_honda

Should F1 just rename the extreme wets as SC car tyes, and the intermediates should just be called wets. It feels like every time it is time for extreme wets they just bring out the SC and/or red flag the race. The SC start robbed us of a potentially amazing start :(

freedom_honda

andrew wrote:
myurr wrote:One thing that I don't think has been picked up on is that Vettel set his best middle sector time of the entire race under waved yellow flags, whereas Button backed off by a couple of tenths. Given that other drivers have been given a drive through for this, should Vettel have been investigated and reprimanded, or even given a penalty? Why is Vettel's situation different?
Did he? I don't recall anyhting being mentioned in the coverage but it is not uncommon for things to be missed on the terrible BBC commentary.

It thought it was in sector one.

myurr
myurr

andrew wrote:

Yup, it was for Nick Heidfelds crash just after the bridge which is in the middle of sector 2.

myurr
myurr

Sorry, my bad. It was sector 1. I'll go find a corner to sob in now :(

gridwalker
gridwalker

I am pretty sure that I remember a time (many years ago) when F1 cars were provided with an extra-deeply treaded tyre, which the commentators referred to as the Monsoon tyre ... whatever happened to those? Surely such a tyre would have made sense this weekend.
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

Not really, by the time the FIA deemed it was safe to race, it was time to use inters. The FIA seem to feel it's too dangerous to race in the wet now. Pirelli might as well not bother manufacturing extreme wets.

zeph
zeph

Diesel wrote: Pirelli might as well not bother manufacturing extreme wets.

Come on now, they proved to be very effective behind the SC. :wink:

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

gridwalker wrote:I am pretty sure that I remember a time (many years ago) when F1 cars were provided with an extra-deeply treaded tyre, which the commentators referred to as the Monsoon tyre ... whatever happened to those? Surely such a tyre would have made sense this weekend.
GoodYear and Michelin had them, they lifted around 120 litres of water into the air, however Bridgestone didn't want to carry them and Pirelli have followed. The Monsoons had 2mm more tread depth than the wets and raised the car by that amount as well. Teams, if i remember rightly, were given one set of these per weekend per car, and the Monsoons lasted about 700km to 750km. In event of there being a monsoon weekend that was enough for Friday Practice 1&2, Saturday Practice1&2, Quali and the race at the time as drivers usually did 9 to 12 laps of Friday practice and about 25 to 28 laps of saturday practice, as well as being limited to 12 laps in Quali at the time. Not to mention the fact that In Season Testing was rife then.

Monsoons were done away with around 2004 i think, as Michelin wanted to try and develop a better intermediate tyre as at that time the Michelin wet was the better option to the Bridgestone, but the Bridgestone was the better inter at the time, and id recon is the best inter ever.

HampusA

myurr wrote:There's no god given right to hold the racing line if another car is there. The rules are explicit, you cannot run another car off the road, and make no mention of racing lines.
There wasn´t another car there.
You mean the point where Hamilton put his front tires in a space that was dissappearing?
He never was alongside, Button never turned into anyone. 100% Hamilton´s fault for not using his brakes.
He should have seen that because button was moving across the road all the time.

I like the guy but these two last races he has done some stupid stuff.
The truth will come out...