Mclaren Mercedes MP4-25

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Richard
Richard

Re: Vodafone Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

The Boss moniker came from the sponsorship, best shown in the pic below. "Hamilton Boss"

Personally, I think any post with the words "the boss" should automatically go to fanboy ying yang. Members using the words in exra large bold fonts should be banned for incurable levels of fanboy-ism ;)
astracrazy wrote:Image

Richard
Richard

Back to topic....

The pic below is great for showing the sculptured body of the car. I presume the angular bulge between the sidepod and engine cover, where it says "vodaphone" is the edge of side impact crash structure?

Also you can see the red pull tabs just above the "E", I presume engine cut off? Are they new for this year?

When you look at the pic below, use your hand to block out Hamilton's helmet and left side pod. Then look at the line of the right sidepod, the undercut and the slope of the top face (compared to the Lotus table top!). Then the way the car tapers to the rear. Beautiful!
astracrazy wrote:Image
Back to

ISLAMATRON

richard_leeds wrote:I presume the angular bulge between the sidepod and engine cover, where it says "vodaphone" is the edge of side impact crash structure?
Nope, it is the vent that McLaren has copied from RBR, sometimes there, sometimes not

PlatinumZealot

I really like that camera angle.

It was I who made up the BOSS name.. :lol: I think it was Monza 2009. You know like when we predict what's going to happen during the race. I was just goofing around since I was high off the pole position. :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7329&start=75
sunny1304 wrote:
n smikle wrote:This track belongs to the BOSS this weekend.

He has the best line through the chicanes and Parabolica.. It is going to be an easy win for the #1 driver!
are you sure that you are not dreaming :?:

:lol:
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

β˜„οΈ Myth of the five suns. β˜„οΈ

β˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈ
LxVxFxHxN

Callum

segedunum wrote:
horse wrote:
jop999 wrote:Image
I believe the engine cover has changed. The diameter of the section heading to the rear wing has been reduced, possibly in response to the restriction in the secondary air intake channel.
Possibly. It does look slightly different, but the eye plays tricks. I still don't like them bulges. Never have done since the car was launched. The car is certainly fast (still not sure at all how fast relative since no one wants to show anything) but I still firmly believe even the small effects of packaging will be critical over a race distance with the weight they're carrying.
The engine cover does look different but maybe we have never seen the car from this angle before. It looks impressive...fast? I don't know.

jop999
jop999

the mclaren looks beautiful :D

Danlizzyman
Danlizzyman

I didn't like the look of the McLaren at the launch, but looking at jop999's pics, it really looks like it means business, great looking car.

Confused_Andy
Confused_Andy

Danlizzyman wrote:I didn't like the look of the McLaren at the launch, but looking at jop999's pics, it really looks like it means business, great looking car.
Totally agree with you, I thought it was ugly as hell at launch but now I think its probably the best looking car on the grid, I love the way that every single detail is original and has a purpose.

horse

So Jenson is still about 20-30mm higher than Hami in the cockpit, roughly.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

Danlizzyman
Danlizzyman

horse wrote:Image

Good spot, is Jenson much taller than average for an F1 driver?
When he came into F1 in 2000 I thought he sat higher in the cockpit than any other driver I'd seen, then Montoya came along a year later and sat the lowest in the cockpit I'd ever seen!

horse

Danlizzyman wrote:Good spot, is Jenson much taller than average for an F1 driver?
He's a fair bit taller than his team mate:

"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

Poleman

horse wrote:Image

Indeed...Regarding that Jenson said that he got finally comfortable in the seat of the MP4-25 then it all comes to the drivers comfort i guess rather than efficiency.What i mean is that Lewis and Jenson have just different seating styles which i assume that it does not have to do anything with the intake behind them.As far as i know Jenson always was a bit higher in the cockpit than the average of the pilots on the grid.

Giblet
Giblet

The average height is around 5 feet 9 inches.

Fernando Alonso is 5 feet, 7.3 inches tall.

Lewis Hamilton is 5 feet 8.5 inches.

Michael Schumacher is 5 feet 8.5 inches.

His brother Ralf is 5' 10".

Drivers who are over 6' are rare.

David Coulthard and Jenson Button are both 6'0" tall.

The tallest F1 drivers in 2007 were Mark Webber and Alexander Wurz, who are both 6'1".

Half of what these guys do involves muscle memory, and little things like maybe their ankle touching the sidewall when they are at braking threshold makes a huge difference.

You can't go quick until you are comfy. I learned this the hard way, buying a new desk and new chair at once, and my sim driving position changed so much I had to turn about 20 laps to get comfortable again, and even more to be quick again.
Before I do anything I ask myself β€œWould an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

PlatinumZealot

Sutil is pretty tall too.

πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

β˜„οΈ Myth of the five suns. β˜„οΈ

β˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈ
LxVxFxHxN

Fil

March 09 & Alonso already had Ferrari boots on.. :shock:
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).