Honda Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
mclaren111

Re: Honda Power Unit

This is good news:
According to Spain's Marca daily, the Honda upgrade in Hungary - reportedly featuring changes to the internal combustion engine - will be installed penalty-free.

Not only that, Honda has made the changes outside of the performance upgrade system, meaning that the struggling Japanese marque still has 7 'tokens' still to deploy in 2015.

"We still have no exact date for their (the tokens') use," a Honda spokesperson confirmed.

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

The reports from Hungary are that the engine is unchanged.

mclaren111

Good article:

http://www.newsf1.it/f1-analysis-power- ... #more-4270

Glad to see in last paragraph they seem optimistic :D

PlatinumZealot

I have a feeling they will adopt a Mercedes style turbocharger int he next upgrade...
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

Honda fan
Honda fan

This is a program that has been broadcast by the broadcast stations that of Japan NHK (national broadcaster). These are not at all true.It seems to contain some of the acting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndrdwPFKSj8

Facts Only
Facts Only

PlatinumZealot wrote:I have a feeling they will adopt a Mercedes style turbocharger int he next upgrade...
Unless they've spent 2.5+ years figuring out how to get it to work they wont!
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

gary123

Honda fan wrote:This is a program that has been broadcast by the broadcast stations that of Japan NHK (national broadcaster). These are not at all true.It seems to contain some of the acting.

Nice video specially from minute 19, such a shame that i dont know japanese :)

OviJohn
OviJohn

Jef Patat wrote:Oh yes, they said all of that for sure, just an example:
http://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12479/9855457/a
Alonso wrote:“The final part of the championship – even if it’s a very ambitious target, I’m very optimistic - we need to be close to the podium positions,”
Though I agree with your post completely, as a fan, I find it very frustrating that I have to consider every statement PR. I know it's part of the sport, but for MCL-Honda it seems to be all PR and no reality.

Pure gold mate! I´ll share this video on another forum and hopefully we get some worthy translation for the technical parts =D>

noname
noname

PlatinumZealot wrote:I have a feeling they will adopt a Mercedes style turbocharger int he next upgrade...
I doubt this is coming, unless they've been working on such a system for a very long time. It's not just the turbo, even - you need to change a lot on the engine side, and build heavily revised car around.

They came through a lot of pain, but I am sure they learnt a lot along the way. Making such a radical change would mean signing on another long and painful trip.

Edit: Sorry, Facts Only was faster.

dmjunqueira

gary123 wrote:
Honda fan wrote:This is a program that has been broadcast by the broadcast stations that of Japan NHK (national broadcaster). These are not at all true.It seems to contain some of the acting.

Nice video specially from minute 19, such a shame that i dont know japanese :)
Nice indeed! :)
They show (what I suppose to be) the MGU-K a couple of times, but the image is blurred on purpose.
And at times 47:09 and 48:48, it is possible to see something very similar to a turbo (turbine housing).

GoranF1
GoranF1

from team thread via @Snorked

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

stevesingo
stevesingo

Looking at the telemetry at 30:24 I see 3.71Bar Boost (Abs?) at 114,456rpm (turbine rpm), 991/1001degC EGT and 100kg/hr fuel flow. Then at 30:29 after a period of closed throttle 1.35Bar Boost (Abs?) at 56584rpm (turbine rpm), 753/758degC EGT and 0kg/hr. There are a few more examples later in the video.

PlatinumZealot

Great screen grabs!

The turbo center bearings needs cooling water and oil for lubrication. So where the piping is connected might help give an idea.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

ringo

The compressor seems to be right in front of the turbine housing based on how they shaped the plenum. It's either there or somewhere in the middle. They have used some accurate but possibly deceiving images in the video.

From the video i am also seeing MGUH rpm.
One thing though, you wont be able to gather much useful information from those boost values, as we need to know their intake temperatures, a:f and engine speed. I find i can manipulate those three things in my calculator with my fuel flow to match up to their boost. But it doesn't say much because they are too many things i can vary.
For Sure!!

gruntguru
gruntguru

stevesingo wrote:Looking at the telemetry at 30:24 I see 3.71Bar Boost (Abs?) at 114,456rpm (turbine rpm), 991/1001degC EGT and 100kg/hr fuel flow. Then at 30:29 after a period of closed throttle 1.35Bar Boost (Abs?) at 56584rpm (turbine rpm), 753/758degC EGT and 0kg/hr. There are a few more examples later in the video.
That's gold. Higher boost and turbine rpm than any commentator (eg Benzing) has claimed so far. Certainly puts paid to those insisting boost must be less than 3 bar abs.
je suis charlie