Honda returns to F1 in 2015

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
dren

Re: More Honda Rumor Fuel

beelsebob wrote:
dren wrote:Heard a rumor Honda might power Saubers as customers.
Sauce.
Someone on another forum that has been pretty much on point with all of these Honda rumors, and others not relating to F1.
Honda!

beelsebob
beelsebob

dren wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
dren wrote:Heard a rumor Honda might power Saubers as customers.
Sauce.
Someone on another forum that has been pretty much on point with all of these Honda rumors, and others not relating to F1.
I heard Toyota are going to power Mercedes next year.

sebbe
sebbe

I've heard that Honda powered McLaren from '88 to '92.
With so many rumours, I'm not sure anymore!
:?
"I've already altered the deal, pray I don't alter it any further" -Darth Vader to Lando Calrissian. The Empire Strikes Back.
"Progress is not always made by reasonable men." (McLaren Racing).
"We have optimised the lateral optical interface of the building." (Translation: "My factory has a lot of windows.") Ron Dennis.-

muhammadtalha-13
muhammadtalha-13

beelsebob wrote:
muhammadtalha-13 wrote:i would love to see Ranault return as Works Team. Wonder what would redbull do then :lol:
Renault *has* returned as a works team – RedBull gets works engine supply.
Then why Mercedes can't give Mclaren 'WORKS' Engines? If Renault can give their engines to RedBull despite having their own team, then why Mercedes can't? To McLaren?

spadeflush

muhammadtalha-13 wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
muhammadtalha-13 wrote:i would love to see Ranault return as Works Team. Wonder what would redbull do then :lol:
Renault *has* returned as a works team – RedBull gets works engine supply.
Then why Mercedes can't give Mclaren 'WORKS' Engines? If Renault can give their engines to RedBull despite having their own team, then why Mercedes can't? To McLaren?
Renault HAD a works team. They dont anymore, its called Lotus now, ownwed by Genii Capital, not Renault. Hence, Red Bull is their de facto works team. Mercedes are a works team. McLaren are customers, since 2010.
Forza Michael. Forza Jules

muhammadtalha-13
muhammadtalha-13

Renault HAD a works team. They dont anymore, its called Lotus now, ownwed by Genii Capital, not Renault. Hence, Red Bull is their de facto works team. Mercedes are a works team. McLaren are customers, since 2010.[/quote]

That's exactly what i knew SPADEFLUSH. I was asking BEELSEBOB who said Renault "HAS" Returned as WORKS team.
I was just saying IF Renault again becomes a team like they were in 2009, what would Redbull do then.

beelsebob
beelsebob

muhammadtalha-13 wrote:Renault HAD a works team. They dont anymore, its called Lotus now, ownwed by Genii Capital, not Renault. Hence, Red Bull is their de facto works team. Mercedes are a works team. McLaren are customers, since 2010.
That's exactly what i knew SPADEFLUSH. I was asking BEELSEBOB who said Renault "HAS" Returned as WORKS team.
I was just saying IF Renault again becomes a team like they were in 2009, what would Redbull do then.
RedBull would start paying for their engines...

Gridlock

beelsebob wrote: RedBull would start paying for their engines...
...or become a title sponsor of the works Renault team, which has been based in the UK before....

Chassis > Engine = Red Bull Racing Renault
Title Sponsor > Chassis = Red Bull Renault

beelsebob
beelsebob

Gridlock wrote:
beelsebob wrote: RedBull would start paying for their engines...
...or become a title sponsor of the works Renault team, which has been based in the UK before....

Chassis > Engine = Red Bull Racing Renault
Title Sponsor > Chassis = Red Bull Renault
Why would Renault or RedBull agree to jump through those hoops, when RedBull racing is already set up, and already the renault works team?

FW17

Renault doubts F1 return for Honda, Toyota

One of F1's existing engine bosses has questioned rumours Honda and Toyota could be set to re-join the sport in the foreseeable future.

Amid strong rumours Honda will become McLaren's works partner in 2015, and possibly supply customer V6s to Sauber, another rumour doing the rounds in Bahrain was that Honda's traditional rival Toyota might also come back.

Both Japanese marques withdrew their works teams amid the global financial crisis late last decade, but could now be interested in F1's futuristic ERS-powered turbo V6 rules that will come into force next season.

"Yes, even Toyota is toying with a comeback," Swiss newspaper Blick's veteran correspondent Roger Benoit said in Bahrain.

"The Japanese have Williams in sight, and they could get Japanese favourite Kamui Kobayashi back in a race cockpit."

Senior Renault engine figure Rob White, however, doubts not only the Toyota rumours, but also the reports that Honda's plans are already well advanced.

"If they actually wanted to come back," he is quoted by Speed Week, "then why not take part in the planning meetings?

"We have never received a request in this regard -- the meetings are always only represented by Ferrari, Mercedes and us.

"But Honda and Toyota could easily ask the FIA for permission and join in."

Asked whether Ferrari, Mercedes and Renault were always alone in the turbo V6 planning meetings, White answered: "No.

"The first project meetings were held four years ago, and the interest was great -- Audi, Cosworth, Ilmor, Honda, Toyota, Mecachrome and others.

"However, as it got more specific, only (Craig Pollock's) Pure was left, but now it's only us three.

"I simply cannot imagine that a company will enter in 2015 without having wanted a say in the rules," added White.

coaster

Motogp has a piston bore limit of 80mm, close to F1 2014.
If you made a V6 version of the honda V4 you'd be pretty much have a 430hp V6, just add turbo!
Would it not be awesome to see a young, fearless driver and a huddle of secretive japanese mechanics like in 1988?

dren

I'm expecting a news release for the Honda/Mclaren partnership in the next few days. Possibly the 23rd.
Honda!

oT v1
oT v1

dren wrote:I'm expecting a news release for the Honda/Mclaren partnership in the next few days.
yh just saw it on Crash.net (probably not the 'sauce' of preference for you guys but w.e)

Shame we have to wait untill 2015, would have been cool to see them in from the beginning, i guess they've still got a lot of dyno work and R&D to do first :(
The Power of Dreams

dren

oT v1 wrote:
dren wrote:I'm expecting a news release for the Honda/Mclaren partnership in the next few days.
yh just saw it on Crash.net (probably not the 'sauce' of preference for you guys but w.e)

Shame we have to wait untill 2015, would have been cool to see them in from the beginning, i guess they've still got a lot of dyno work and R&D to do first :(
http://news.yahoo.com/motor-racing-hond ... 16582.html

There are several out there now. It was in the Shimbun the other day. Can't wait for Honda to be back! By waiting a year it gives Honda the benefit of not dumping money in for 2014 when the regs will surely change for 2015. Plus there is the benefit of Mclaren feedback on the Mercedes engine. It will also line up with the new NSX which likely will have a similar powertrain, although most likely with a larger displacement, 3.0liter-ish
Honda!

Hail22

Seems like a few "well respected" news sources in Japan expect an announcement by Honda next week:

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/ja ... 6644178450
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve