2013 Monaco Grand Prix

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
stefan_
stefan_

Re: 2013 Monaco Grand Prix

Romain making a flying lap. Literally.

"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

dren

Grossjean crashed? I don't believe it...
Honda!

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

Webber very upbeat talking to SSF1. Implied that RB have not shown their hand yet.

Vettel was P10 on a 1:16:0 on softs, with no KERS, and at the start of a 5 lap run.

Ferraripilot

Sector 3 seems to be the big differentiating area setting W04 apart from others. Merc have potential to rake some points in here.

jenseneverest
jenseneverest

I expect only Lotus and Force India could one stop, all other teams will 2 stop. Should make for a good last stint. At last a track that dosn't destroy these crapy 2013 tyres.

Richard
Richard

iotar__ wrote:Red Bull to Webber: "Lift earlier to save the brakes" What?! Below 100% driving not related to tyres!? Saving fuel, saving brakes, saving gearbox, saving engines? That's not racing. :o
LOL People jumping on bandwagons have selective hearing!

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

astracrazy wrote:
GrizzleBoy wrote:I honestly don't know if Lewis actually knows how to drive the Merc as well as Rosberg.

I've said it many a time before, but under braking his downshifts during races and even quali sounds like a car on an in lap.

Its unbelievably slow. It could just be a stylistic difference, but he never used that style in the McLaren.
are you serious?

You think that Lewis doesn't know how to drive the Merc as well yet he has so far had better results and you think its down to gearshifts? And you think even if that was the case its something him and his engineers have missed yet you picked up on it?
I am simply commenting on the fact that compared to how he used to drive his McLaren, how everyone else drives and how Nico drives, that he seems to have made a very notable shift in an aspect of his driving.

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

Ferraripilot wrote:Sector 3 seems to be the big differentiating area setting W04 apart from others. Merc have potential to rake some points in here.
Rosberg managed 20 laps on the supersofts with some cool-down laps throw into that stint. Will surely need better than that to pull off a 1 stop.

Dyanxx
Dyanxx

Jonnycraig wrote:
Ferraripilot wrote:Sector 3 seems to be the big differentiating area setting W04 apart from others. Merc have potential to rake some points in here.
Rosberg managed 20 laps on the supersofts with some cool-down laps throw into that stint. Will surely need better than that to pull off a 1 stop.
By the time we get to sunday though, there will have been a lot of rubber on the track, which should help slightly with the tyre life.

Jonnycraig
Jonnycraig

Dyanxx wrote:
Jonnycraig wrote:
By the time we get to sunday though, there will have been a lot of rubber on the track, which should help slightly with the tyre life.
True, but without those cool down laps I still personally think they will be very marginal on a 1 stop. As said in commentary, its likely to come down to a team picking the correct strategy and sticking to it as Ferrari did in Barcelona.

Ferraripilot

I don't think anyone will be in for a one stop race. When the softs and supersofts go south, they really go, in a bad way.

iotar__

jenseneverest wrote:I expect only Lotus and Force India could one stop, all other teams will 2 stop. Should make for a good last stint. At last a track that dosn't destroy these crapy 2013 tyres.
Maybe, but what about situation like this:
- Ferrari in front of Lotus
- Lotus on a certain one stopper, better pace over two long stints
- Ferrari - somewhere in between, two stops can be risky because of traffic etc.
so how slower can Ferrari afford to be towards the end of the race if they decide to pit once and keep position?

Looking at the lap times in FP2, it's hard to read but they all look fine to me, Lotus maybe in front, Ferrari and Red Bull, even Rosberg.

jenseneverest
jenseneverest

iotar__ wrote:
jenseneverest wrote:I expect only Lotus and Force India could one stop, all other teams will 2 stop. Should make for a good last stint. At last a track that dosn't destroy these crapy 2013 tyres.
Maybe, but what about situation like this:
- Ferrari in front of Lotus
- Lotus on a certain one stopper, better pace over two long stints
- Ferrari - somewhere in between, two stops can be risky because of traffic etc.
so how slower can Ferrari afford to be towards the end of the race if they decide to pit once and keep position?

Looking at the lap times in FP2, it's hard to read but they all look fine to me, Lotus maybe in front, Ferrari and Red Bull, even Rosberg.
I expect Ferrari, Red Bull and Merc to fight over the first 3 rows. Meaning Lotus and F/India and possibly even Maclaren will have to try something differant. A 1 stop should still be faster but is a gamble as to weather or not the tyres will last.....

Overdriving
Overdriving

jenseneverest wrote:
I expect Ferrari, Red Bull and Merc to fight over the first 3 rows. Meaning Lotus and F/India and possibly even Maclaren will have to try something differant. A 1 stop should still be faster but is a gamble as to weather or not the tyres will last.....
There's also a matter of SC. A badly timed SC would destroy any advantage 1-stoppers might have--and the other way around, of course. And there will be SCs, especially since we have many rookies this year. Though in Monaco even top drivers can easily crash.

Neno
Neno

richard_leeds wrote:
iotar__ wrote:Red Bull to Webber: "Lift earlier to save the brakes" What?! Below 100% driving not related to tyres!? Saving fuel, saving brakes, saving gearbox, saving engines? That's not racing. :o
LOL People jumping on bandwagons have selective hearing!
Nothing wrong with what he sayed. That is not racing, saving fuel... saving engines. Only whiners complain where something is not working for them, in this case Red Bull. It must felt reall good sitting on throne 3 years, without any worry about nothing and pumping their ego about best aerodynamic, wait i am wrong. They need to worry to sabotage every weekend Webber, and when they couldn't do it they needed to make team orders, but that is smaller problems.
But you get what i mean. FP1 and FP2 showed me how to much downforce they have, they lapped everyone in same lap