Most pec...bizarre aerodynamics thread.

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Sombrero
Sombrero

Re: Most pec...bizarre aerodynamics thread.

The G.P. at Long Beach required a high down force wing for the street circuit. The rules at the time stated that any piece of bodywork (wings included) behind the rear axle could be a maximum of 110cm wide but did not specify that this be measured from the center of the car, so Ferrari fitted two individual wings, one slightly ahead of the other, each 110cm. In the race Gilles Villenueve finished 3rd on the road but the race stewards later declared that this wing was illegal and the results didn't stand.

Source : http://web.ipmsusa3.org/content/ferrari ... 982-part-1

The idea behind the Carletti bi-wings was : you're not seing one large wing but two separate wings, each one within the regulations.

outer_bongolia

Ok. This is from 24 Hours of Lemons. And bizarre is what that race is. But this car(?) beats anything (tongue in cheek).

https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1 ... =3&theater
Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep thoughts can be winnowed from deep nonsense.
Carl Sagan

thisisatest
thisisatest

most of you guys have probably seen this before, but here it is again anyway.
this is the famous "cheaparral" corvette. built for Grassroots Motorsports $2007 challenge. i dont know how they got all that stuff so cheap, but...
most interesting part is the snowmobile engine driving a vent fan from a M1a1 tank, sucking through a skirt that rolled on its own casters under the car, in turn keeping the car planted.

ajprice
ajprice

The Red Bull X2010 'F1 concept car' from Gran Turismo 5

then the X2011 update

and the X2014 cars for GT6, as a standard version, fan car, and 'Junior' formula car.
http://wtf1.co.uk/oof-three-versions-of ... turismo-6/

Nuvolari_the_legend

The aerodynamics on this go kart are very serious an they do actually work (I think) but it just looks weird, a go kart with aerodynamics.
It's called R1 MONACO
"Tazio Nuvolari was the greatest driver of the past, the present and the future."
Ferdinand Porsche

SectorOne

Straight from Roswell, New Mexico :)

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

stefan_
stefan_

* X Files theme song starts playing *
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

But it already had a flap at the trailing edge!
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

humble sabot

Billzilla wrote:The Aussie Bill Norman GEK.
Yes it looks 'orrible but it beats pretty much everything.
That's gorgeous, I mean it's no swoopy Colani, and the paintjob is like some kind of insect defensive coloration, but the conception and format are beautifully functional.
It reminds me of my favorite modern day UK hillclimb car, though not especially clever aerodynamically: http://raceenginedesign.biz/Manic-Beattie.htm
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

humble sabot

I take that back! Check out the blown diffuser: http://speedhillclimb.com/mannics-quick/#more-4334
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

andylaurence

MadMatt wrote:First of all, let me explain why I think British or Australian hillclimb championships are no way near hillclimb events as we name it in Europe (mainland). I recon the European Championship should be called Mountainclimb Championship because when you look at what kind of hills you get in England and in the EHC, it is far from being the same.

In England you have what I would call FSAE-type racecourses. It is very narrow, very twisty, short, and not very steep while we have fairly long races, steep, often 4-5m wide and very very fast.

andy, it doesn't mean that because it says European that it is not the reference. Look at the European Rallycross Championship: it is the world reference for example. You are also wrong at the pace. In Europe we have all kind of fast cars, from F3000 to GP2 formula cars, from DTM cars to old group B machines, from highly tuned Mitsubishi Evos to silhouette cars, and A LOT of prototypes (osella FA30, etc.). All these cars are ridiculously fast. Not to mention the drivers are very brave out there, and risk their life at every race, unlike racing in a Lord's park.

I know you are doing hillclimb races in England so don't take this personally but if you have been to a round in Europe you will know what I mean. It is another world. (I have been to both, I am not just saying this to troll)

But as you said it will be interesting to see in October. :)

Just so I don't get insulted, I will post a picture of an amazing car, the FA30. It is not bizarre per say, but with its central driver position and lot of aero devices, makes it agressive:

http://www.reportmotori.it/wp-content/u ... angoni.jpg
I think you have hit the nail on the head. British Hillclimbing is a different discipline to European Hillclimbing. The longest UK hill is about 1000yards and the tracks are rarely 4 metres wide. The top speeds are still high though with 150mph at the finish line at Shelsley and Gurston, for example. I expect apex speeds are lower in the UK although I have no data to prove it.

As far as which is the reference, I would say that both are the reference for their respective disciplines. By definition if nothing else! Despite that, I strongly believe that the outright performance of the UK cars is greater. Wind tunnel results printed in Racecar Engineering show they have similar aero performance to a 15 year old F1 car, yet with 700bhp from the top cars and well under 500kg kerb weight. Statistically, I think that's probably better than an old F3000 car or GP2.

The sports cars in the European championship are superb and a cut above most of the UK cars. Sports Libre isn't too popular over here and only a couple of cars are of significant performance, notably the Force LM cars and Rob Stevens in his Force.

As an addendum to show my bias. I'm not a Hillclimb competitor, in UK or European championships, although my car has previously competed in FFSA events.

dandfx
dandfx

I'm a bit late but I completely agree with the difference in Australian and European / British Hill Climbs. They are all different worlds. I have raced at MT Cotton in a tin top, Bill Norman's special isn't refined or beautiful but is very effective. The fastest guys are running sub 40 second laps (940m) which is extremely short compared to what other countries race on.

Some other Australian aero.

Back on topic- Can't forget the Monster Tajima's Suzuki

The Tomica Super Silhouette (my personal favourite race car), It's awesome in person because you can see all of the hand made sections and rivets up close.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Definately belongs here.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Sebp

From Stefan's gallery

No smartphone was involved in creating this message.

RicerDude

2009 Williams FW-31