McLaren MP4-30 Pre-launch Speculation

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Egresi Tamás
Egresi Tamás

Re: McLaren MP4-30 Pre-launch Speculation

the EDGE
the EDGE

Very much looking forward to this... But knowing Mclaren it will be the usual "let's hide every important detail possible from the diffuser to the front wing" routine they usually follow. It's possible this year not even the new areo philosophy will be represented on the car, as I'm expecting them to continue with an interim MP4-29H for at least the first test as they wanted to maximise the time Peter Prod had to design it

I assume however we will get to see the new colour scheme at last, I'm praying for the red/white Marlboro scheme but I doubt it will happen for obvious reason. So I'm going to guess red (for Honda) trimmed with black (like this year, trimming the Mercedes silver). after all it's not as if that would clash with marussia now, and I would expect them to do a much much better job of it

Thunder

tbh it doesn't really make sense to hide anything. I mean the car will be on Track only a few Days later.

But eh, it's F1 i guess.....
Last edited by Thunder on 09 Jan 2015, 22:09, edited 1 time in total.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

Macklaren
Macklaren

the EDGE wrote:
Very much looking forward to this... But knowing Mclaren it will be the usual "let's hide every important detail possible from the diffuser to the front wing" routine they usually follow. It's possible this year not even the new areo philosophy will be represented on the car, as I'm expecting them to continue with an interim MP4-29H for at least the first test as they wanted to maximise the time Peter Prod had to design it

I assume however we will get to see the new colour scheme at last, I'm praying for the red/white Marlboro scheme but I doubt it will happen for obvious reason. So I'm going to guess red (for Honda) trimmed with black (like this year, trimming the Mercedes silver). after all it's not as if that would clash with marussia now, and I would expect them to do a much much better job of it
Since it's not an event at MTC, I highly doubt if we will see the new livery and sponsor. This will most likely be an orange test livery with MP4-30 written across it.

mikeerfol

No running until Jerez, so they solved all problems?

frosty125
frosty125

Bad news on sponsor but hopefully a strong season will sort that out. However no running before Jerez could be good news or bad news. They might be confident that the issues have been resolved, or they might not feel it is worth running the H again and can't get the 30 ready in time, or they might want to have the film day free to use between tests to resolve issues.

aterren
aterren

It seems the only speculation about the MP4-30 is how they will paint it. ](*,)

Consider this a plea for something technical to help me through these long cold winter nights.

bauc

aterren wrote:It seems the only speculation about the MP4-30 is how they will paint it. ](*,)

Consider this a plea for something technical to help me through these long cold winter nights.
Well, the most interesting part for me will be to see which way Hodna will go with its cooling system and how Mclaren have designed the whole areo layout around the engine cover & side-pods. As for the front and the rear, I expect ReduBull like solutions to be implemented and I'm sure that the butterfly suspension will also be dumbed.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Richard
Richard

Yes, this is probably going to be the most interesting car on the grid in terms seeing how McLaren embark on a new design philosophy.

I expect PP to bring Red Bull/Newye emphasis on no compromise. Also some RB evolution of ideas from season to season rather than McLaren's recent habit of changing philosophy from one season to the next.

The Honda PU is rather limited in innovation due to the tight PU rules, but I'd expect a Merc clone in general layout. It'd be interesting if PP brings some RB influence on unforgiving packaging and how that compares with Merc.

Mesteño

My humble 'technical' curiosity is if they'll be able to develop a Red Bull's style chasis in three months from Peter Prodromou arrival or we'll have to wait to a B-spec of the car in Barcelona GP and in the meantime they will use MP4-29H for developing the PU.
All team said in presentation that first year would be of adapting and developing although they hope to win some races (I must have understood badly).

My God, can't wait to see that Honda PU in action and the rear shape of the car.
George-Jung wrote:If I am correct, Hugo Boss is no longer a McLaren sponsor..

Sad news, I think this sponsor fitted perfectly with Mclaren.

j2004p
j2004p

Thunders wrote:On a more serious Note about the Livery. Someone posted this over on autosport and i really like that concept.

http://i.imgur.com/OkEPzR7.png
Now that is a good looking colour scheme!
George-Jung wrote:If I am correct, Hugo Boss is no longer a McLaren sponsor..
Yep, they've takes their $'s to Merc

frosty125
frosty125

I have no inside knowledge but I believe that the MP4/30 will be based around PP's aerodynamics. I know he came late to the party however look how quickly they developed that completely new FW + other aero parts to go with it on a car that had a very different concept to the RB.

A few months ago McLaren were openly stating that they would produce an interim car for the first test or two and then release the MP4/30 for the final tests to give PP maximum time to work on the new car. To me it looks like the programme was massively accelerated with the MP4-29H interim car launched before the last race of the season and the MP4/30 ready for the first test.

Coefficient
Coefficient

frosty125 wrote:I have no inside knowledge but I believe that the MP4/30 will be based around PP's aerodynamics. I know he came late to the party however look how quickly they developed that completely new FW + other aero parts to go with it on a car that had a very different concept to the RB.

A few months ago McLaren were openly stating that they would produce an interim car for the first test or two and then release the MP4/30 for the final tests to give PP maximum time to work on the new car. To me it looks like the programme was massively accelerated with the MP4-29H interim car launched before the last race of the season and the MP4/30 ready for the first test.
Perhaps they realised there was somehting fundamentally incompatible between the MP4 29 and the Honda power unit which contributed to the lack mileage so were forced to think again.
"I started out with nothing and I've still got most of it".

aral
aral

frosty125 wrote:I have no inside knowledge but I believe that the MP4/30 will be based around PP's aerodynamics. .
WHY?? There will be a re think on aero due to different noses. But obviously all cars will still look reasonably similar due purely to the way the rules are written. And the Macca aero was created around the use of the suspension blockers too, and there is no knowledge as to whether or not these will be continued in 2015.

skoop
skoop

gilgen wrote:
frosty125 wrote:I have no inside knowledge but I believe that the MP4/30 will be based around PP's aerodynamics. .
WHY?? There will be a re think on aero due to different noses. But obviously all cars will still look reasonably similar due purely to the way the rules are written. And the Macca aero was created around the use of the suspension blockers too, and there is no knowledge as to whether or not these will be continued in 2015.

if i rember correctly i read somewhere that peter is no fan of the butterfly suspension and will propably get rid of it. i think i read it here, but i don't have the source right now. sorry.