2014 Brazilian Grand Prix - São Paulo

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
iotar__

Re: 2014 Brazilian Grand Prix - São Paulo

- Rosberg has been simply faster over one lap this season (without random elements), that is when they push 100%

- after Austria and Monza Bottas messed up another big chance, couple years ago decisive outpacing Massa meant nothing and he himself didn't deserve any F1 seat, now being slightly better than him and behind when it matters the most is a proof of top driver qualities, randomness of media's/audience's perception is funny

- very close from 5-10 and Button of all people the fastest

windwaves
windwaves

De Jokke wrote:I still think Lewis without a doubt although he has 'disappointed' this season in terms of poles. I expected more but maybe Lewis focuses more on the race, as Rosberg was reporting using too much of his rears in Q1. For now this theory is correct based on the last few races, let's see how it pans out tomorrow.
I am no big fan of HAM however could it be that really he's been managing things using a bit of brain recently, hence not taking unnecessary risks for pole ? He knows he can pass ROS, usually. Could it have to do with tyres or even engine management ?

On the other hand I do not doubt ROS speed and ability to equal HAM in one lap and more, however, HAM evidently has been better so far un Sundays.

Phillyred
Phillyred

I think Lewis has always been a "smart" driver, but at times a bit too aggressive and hence in the past over-cooking his tires/brakes when in pursuit. Lately he is more calculated and letting the race develop and fall into his hands when the timing is right. I think Nico is doing a great job as well, but I don't admire his position having to win the next two races while Lewis can choose to attack or play it conservative. I'm a little concerned though about Massa/Bottas behind him on the opening lap. Hopefully Massa is wise enough not to ruin the race for the Merc duo.

basti313
basti313

astracrazy wrote:Ham was well off in q2. I wonder if he took it easier to save his race tyres?
No. he had a lot of standing tires and white smoke under breaking. Looked like cold breakes.
Don`t russel the hamster!

gray41

astracrazy wrote:Ham was well off in q2. I wonder if he took it easier to save his race tyres?
Yeah, he did the same in Austin too IMO.
Lewis Hamilton #44
Poles: *****
Wins: ***

ringo

windwaves wrote:
De Jokke wrote:I still think Lewis without a doubt although he has 'disappointed' this season in terms of poles. I expected more but maybe Lewis focuses more on the race, as Rosberg was reporting using too much of his rears in Q1. For now this theory is correct based on the last few races, let's see how it pans out tomorrow.
I am no big fan of HAM however could it be that really he's been managing things using a bit of brain recently, hence not taking unnecessary risks for pole ? He knows he can pass ROS, usually. Could it have to do with tyres or even engine management ?

On the other hand I do not doubt ROS speed and ability to equal HAM in one lap and more, however, HAM evidently has been better so far un Sundays.
i'm inclined to agree with this. It is clear to him that by default he is going to be in P2 come sunday. After Austria it seems that Hamilton is being very calm with his qualifying. I don't think he is going balls to the wall like Rosberg. He definitely can squeeze out more performance, but it's not worth it with this formula. Better safe in P2 than make an error and go off the track or damage something. He has Rosbergs number for the race and it's better to hunt than be hunted so no i don't really see Rosberg as the out and out best qualifier. Hamilton's mind is somewhere else.

Even after they come out the car, Lewis is not even disappointed with losing out to rosberg like he used to be in the earlier parts of the season. He has a very calm demeanor as to say he doesn't mind not going all out because the race is where he can show his speed endurance.
For Sure!!

Juzh

Anyone thinks OP accelerating williams can keep up with merc by any chance? Would be nice to see a 4 way fight at the front.

SiLo

The speed of the Williams... I reckon they could cause an upset in the first few laps, but over the race distance I don't think they have the pace to keep up with the Mercs.
Felipe Baby!

SiLo

Just seen the mistake by Hamilton, pretty sure that was pole lost for him right there.
Felipe Baby!

Raleigh
Raleigh

iotar__ wrote:- after Austria and Monza Bottas messed up another big chance, couple years ago decisive outpacing Massa meant nothing and he himself didn't deserve any F1 seat, now being slightly better than him and behind when it matters the most is a proof of top driver qualities, randomness of media's/audience's perception is funny
Media perception of Massa used to be that he was the successor to Schumacher...

He was Ferrari's golden boy, so very nearly beat Hamilton to the 2008 title and when Ferrari had the choice or Massa and Kimi to partner Alonso they picked Massa.

But Ferrari has been the problem. For the last 6 years they have produced evil cars. Not necessarily slow cars, but cars with unreliable, unpredictable and negative handling characteristics. Alonso can drive these evil cars and still extract most of their speed, but that is his unique talent. Massa can't do that, Kimi can't do that, Vettel certainly can't from what we have seen this season, none of the top drivers can do that. Perhaps Hamilton might, but we haven't seen him in a really evil car...

And to see Kimi struggle against Alonso in exactly the same way as Massa did (right after 2 very good years in the Lotus) has really boosted media perception of Massa.

In a good car, one with positive and reliable handing characteristics, Massa is a very fast driver and would be similar in speed to Alonso. So for Bottas to be mostly beating him this year in the Williams (a good car) is impressive, not to mention Bottas has put in a few performances that would be fantastic no matter who he was driving against.

atanatizante

I was doing a brief analysis regarding Lewis results this year so far compared to Nico and I found up rather something very interesting which worth mentioning here to you all :
- There were 7 races where Nico won the qualy with Lewis went second (Bahrein, Monaco, Canada, Belgium, Japan, USA and Brazil)
- Guess what? Except Monaco where is almost impossible to pass, Canada where he DNF (although he passed him after the first pit stop) and Spa when he passed him in the first lap, Lewis was beaten Nico fair and square EVERY time!
So it's right to say that Lewis does better in the race or he just sets his car more towards the race? if not entirely ...
And in addition could we say Nico is more affected by the radio couch ban rule introduced in the last races?
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Hobbs04
Hobbs04

No one is saying this but Hamilton is getting older. He isn't going to wake up in 5 years and instantly drop off his one lap pace. We are starting to see the incremental drops of speed due to his age. Kimi had his days, Alonso had his, Hamilton had his, I'm not sure who is the next lightning rod but it's not Rosberg. Vettel isn't going to show us many poles if he goes red next year either.

basti313
basti313

atanatizante wrote:Lewis was beaten Nico fair and square EVERY time!
Yes. One has to appreciate that. To me it looks like he is just much better on the Medium tire. This is where Lewis won his races. On the Soft they are absolutely equal.
atanatizante wrote:So it's right to say ... he just sets his car more towards the race? if not entirely ...
No. Mostly they have the same setup.
atanatizante wrote:And in addition could we say Nico is more affected by the radio couch ban rule introduced in the last races?
No. Lewis had the same radio guidance during the races, maybe even more. And Lewis had the edge on the Medium tire before the radio ban...there is nothing new with radio ban.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Kingshark
Kingshark

http://www.formula1.com/results/season/ ... times.html

Ultimate lap (best sectors added together):

Nico Rosberg - 1:09.861
Lewis Hamilton - 1:10.010 (+0.149)

Kingshark
Kingshark

Rosberg has always been mindbogglingly fast over one lap. As if it isn't difficult enough to believe that it has taken some people this long to find that out, some are still at this point in denial of his qualifying ability.

Watch Brazil Q2, not only did the guy put over 1 second (yes, 1 whole second) between himself and MSC around one of the shortest tracks on the calendar, he came within 1 tenth of Vettel (who was driving the RB7) while he was in the 4th fastest car on the grid.

However, up until recently Nico had always been inconsistent in qualifying. Throughout 2012-2013 and early 2014 he was prone to making mistakes, but ever since Monaco, something's changed. He hasn't made a single qualy error since the Mirabeau incident. His Q3 performances have, time and time again, been faultless.