2016 Fantasy Liveries topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
cmF1

Re: 2016 Fantasy Liveries topic

Tbh though I wouldn't take anything BBC Sport F1 report on seriously.
プラスとマイナス

Joseki
Joseki

ScottB wrote:
cmF1 wrote:
ScottB wrote: Their Twitter account spent much of last year's pre season hinting at red and white, so either they just do this stuff for attention, or they have no idea what the race team is actually up to...
There were lots of people hashtagging blue Monday. It's nothing to do about the livery, but to do with the 'most depressing day of the year'. The 3rd Monday in January.
Their Twitter had this:

https://twitter.com/mclarenf1/status/689047420957765632

Which the BBC reported as 'hinting at a new livery' yesterday... I get the blue being Blue Monday, no idea what the Red relates to!
They were trolling Ferrari for the stupid spam competition.

Hail22

Apparently this is Renault' 2016 livery (via F1 racing mag February edition):

Edit: As stated below, this is F1 racing mags interpretation of the 2016 Renault livery, not the official Renault livery.

Fan made Williams Martini livery via Motorsport forums:

Fan made Williams Martini livery via Reddit:

Last edited by Hail22 on 20 Jan 2016, 22:30, edited 1 time in total.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

cmF1

The Renault one is an assumed livery by one of the magazines graphic designers.
プラスとマイナス

cmF1

Thanks for the vote down for 'being incorrect', but even the team themselves acknowledge it as NOT the actual livery, and the magazine themselves say it's not the livery either.

プラスとマイナス

Facts Only
Facts Only

Have an upvote for taking the time to put someone in their place, made me chuckle.

I wouldnt get to hung up on it though, its pretty meaningless and is often just a rating of how much popularist flumpf people can post.

F1 is Rubbish! +1
And Pirelli/Jean Todt/Mercedes/Seb Vettel made it that way! +5
Bernie Ecclestone is Evil +10
McLarens should be Orange... or Red and White +20

And yes I do appreciate the irony of me saying that.

On the liveries topic I hope (as I do every year) that we get a bit more colour and a bit less grey/silver.
"A pretentious quote taken out of context to make me look deep" - Some old racing driver

Hail22

Factsonly Re Colour:

As much as myself like you and many others agree that the addition of more colour to the liveries would be fantastic.

My only fear is that when you have large corporations sponsoring teams, they have an influence on how the livery is designed in order to get the best "brand exposure" from their mobile marketing billboards (referring to Formula 1 vehicles as mobile billboards is subjective in the least from my point of view).

I'm holding out for the following to shine with their liveries this season:

1. HAAS
2. Renault
3. Force Inidia
4. Mclaren (please lord add some colour to this 2015 ugly duckling)

cmF1: thanks for adding facts to my post, as you can appreciate sometimes I do not have the luxury to promptly fix errors. :)
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

FrukostScones

Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

ScottB
ScottB

Renault, or their still Lotus named Twitter account anyway, seem to be running a competition for livery suggestions, if anyone fancies taking a crack at it...

Hail22

ScottB wrote:Renault, or their still Lotus named Twitter account anyway, seem to be running a competition for livery suggestions, if anyone fancies taking a crack at it...
Or the mods / owner could use F1technicals twitter account to link the 2016 Fantasy livery topic / thread to Renault for them to take a look at the plethora of liveries we've all shared / linked? :)

Gilles Villeneuve

turbof1

Hail22 wrote:
ScottB wrote:Renault, or their still Lotus named Twitter account anyway, seem to be running a competition for livery suggestions, if anyone fancies taking a crack at it...
Or the mods / owner could use F1technicals twitter account to link the 2016 Fantasy livery topic / thread to Renault for them to take a look at the plethora of liveries we've all shared / linked? :)
Good idea. I'll forward it to Steven.
#AeroFrodo

VFC_Cipher
VFC_Cipher

Interesting article that goes into detail about how a livery gets designed and who gets say so in what goes where, what color (colour) it is, and how big it is.

http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/how-a-rac ... 1752512826

ScottB
ScottB

VFC_Cipher wrote:Interesting article that goes into detail about how a livery gets designed and who gets say so in what goes where, what color (colour) it is, and how big it is.

Very interesting!

Speaking as designer, though not a livery one (yet anyway), it's all too easy for others on the outside of a project to say x or y should be different, whether it's F1 livery designs, websites (most portfolio sites are packed with redesign concepts for every major site under the sun), iPhones or whatever.

Problem is, without context, without knowing what the brief was, what the requirements were, what restrictions the designer(s) were under, it's hard to say for sure if a better solution was achievable, or not. 'Bad' design is not always the fault of the design team involved. I can recall a number of occasions when clients have insisted on particularly daft ideas inspite of my advice, so I'm sure the same is possible with livery design. Actually, I bet it's a nightmare! Internal creative sign off, plus having to deal with marketing managers and the like from each of the sponsors... It's a wonder we get decent looking liveries at all!

Writinglife
Writinglife

VFC_Cipher wrote:Interesting article that goes into detail about how a livery gets designed and who gets say so in what goes where, what color (colour) it is, and how big it is.

Now that's an interesting article. Thank you

VFC_Cipher
VFC_Cipher

YES! I have finally contributed in a meaningful way around here.