F1 sold to Liberty Media. Bernie Out?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
erikejw
erikejw

Re: F1 sold to Liberty Media. Bernie Out?

BBC in and Ecclestone out.

It will be interesting to watch Boys Billionaire club operate F1.

Brawn, Bratches, Carey are the new boys in town. I will pass judgement after the honeymoon period.

If they achieve better interesting racing they win.

ChrisDanger
ChrisDanger

Good news for those troubled by DRS...
https://twitter.com/Motorsport/status/8 ... 2866450432

iotar__

ChrisDanger wrote:Good news for those troubled by DRS...

- What news, spouting pureness gimmick for uninformed? Ross Brawn of all the people is a pure sportsman now. Can't argue with that though: nothing beats a 'proper' F1 overtake, like Alonso on Petrov '10. Didn't bother with the full picture?

- To be fair to him apart from not liking it he admits he doesn't have any alternative solution (http://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/18552190). He wants to work on it though by creating a small group. I think it used to be called overtaking working group which came up with DRS :-).

- Talking about it now and not DRS itself is the real gimmick. Meanwhile it's very telling that he's not dissecting the real gimmicks of F1: new wings/downforce levels + wider tyres

- Again to be fair he addresses it that rather vaguely (ESPN) by talking about aero/mechanical balance and saying 'we'll see' while knowing perfectly well what the consequences will be. It would be awkward to tell the truth about huge marketing visual changes. Pureness on the other hand...

Big Mangalhit

Andres125sx wrote:
toraabe wrote:If F1 is going to be successful in USA you need an oval race . Michigan or Texas would have been nice venues :)
Ok now you scared me! :?

Anycase I don´t think that will ever happen in F1, as GPs must be around 300km long, and that on an oval would not be possible as throttle percentage is dramatically higher than on any normal twisty track. They´d need an extra fuel tank, refuelling, or an embarrasingly low race pace to make the race with 105kg of fuel
I think in an oval the cars would average above 300km/h. That means they could do the race in less than an hour, which means they could run the whole race with max fuel flow of 100kg/h. So the 100kg of fuel would not even be the limiting factor there.

It's better to conserve momentum than the stop go corners for fuel efficiency

A bigger problem would probably be the banking of the corners which F1 are not designed for

toraabe
toraabe

At Michigan the throttle is 90 % flat out. They just have to lengthen the race to 600 km. No fuel limit

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

No ovals in F1 please. no no no. It's fine for the American sports, it's not done for F1. I don't really enjoy the half-oval with a 'coarse' added to it either to be honest.
Why go to ovals when you can go to Laguna Seca, just to name one?

If there would be anything i would be curious to see, would be a 'rally' f1 race. from point A to point B. no laps, no pitstops. 1 run from start to finish. 1 qualifying time trial. then the entire field together off to the finish line. i however don't think that fits f1 circus. I WOULD aprreciate such a thing as a 'B-series' non-classified race.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

toraabe wrote:At Michigan the throttle is 90 % flat out. They just have to lengthen the race to 600 km. No fuel limit
Brawn is talking about getting rid of gimmicks and you want to have the most gimmick thing possible: F1 on an oval. #-o
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

MrNoo
MrNoo

I am glad Mr E has gone, sure he made the sport what it was in the early years, the great years but look at it today, it's boring. I struggle to slay awake whenever I watched a race last season. I truly hope the Ross and the others stir the rules up, bring back proper racing, allow the cars to be able to follow each other more closely, bring in underfloor tunnels , get rid of those "works of art" front wings etc etc. I feel they could and should even open up the engine regs to allow different engines, V6's V8's V10's and heaven forbid V12's.
I admit I maybe looking at this with rose tinted spectacles but the sound is also very important aspect but above all they need to race, no coasting, no tyre conservation, they just need to be able to go balls out from the off just like Moto GP or the TT and make it a spectator sport again.

FrukostScones

FrukostScones wrote:Bernie and Briatore to start GP1. as he is pushed out by new owners.
Force India already in talks :mrgreen:

https://twitter.com/thevijaymallya?lang=de
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Eddie_Temple
Eddie_Temple

iotar__ wrote:
ChrisDanger wrote:Good news for those troubled by DRS...

- What news, spouting pureness gimmick for uninformed? Ross Brawn of all the people is a pure sportsman now. Can't argue with that though: nothing beats a 'proper' F1 overtake, like Alonso on Petrov '10. Didn't bother with the full picture?

- To be fair to him apart from not liking it he admits he doesn't have any alternative solution (http://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/18552190). He wants to work on it though by creating a small group. I think it used to be called overtaking working group which came up with DRS :-).

- Talking about it now and not DRS itself is the real gimmick. Meanwhile it's very telling that he's not dissecting the real gimmicks of F1: new wings/downforce levels + wider tyres

- Again to be fair he addresses it that rather vaguely (ESPN) by talking about aero/mechanical balance and saying 'we'll see' while knowing perfectly well what the consequences will be. It would be awkward to tell the truth about huge marketing visual changes. Pureness on the other hand...
Not sure what the point of your post was. Each one of your bullet points was riddled with #alternativefacts and pretty much aimed at taking a shot at Brawn, clearly one of the most respected technical leaders of the sport and universially hailed as one of the few who could save F1 from itself.

Let's focus on one of your #alternativefacts, BOLDED above.

I'll let Pat Symonds respond for me, you know, one of the OWG members:
However, as Symonds explained, much of its work was negated by the decision of F1 to introduce DRS in 2011, which has made overtaking artificially much easier.
However, what really is quite telling about your disdain for Brawn and rationalism in general would be the comment above in ITALIC.

What is it about research and study that you think will hurt F1? Is that you Bernie?
Welcome to the layer cake, son.

bhall II
bhall II

FrukostScones wrote:Bernie and Briatore to start GP1. as he is pushed out by new owners.
https://twitter.com/andrewbensonf1/stat ... 7675431936
grandprix.com, Jan 25, 2017 wrote:[Chase] Carey said: "It will be up to us where and when [Ecclestone's] advice is of help and appropriate."

And he told the Sun newspaper: "Bernie is a one-man team -- it was not right in today's world."
It was a huge mistake for Liberty to push Ecclestone completely out of the picture. We're talking about a man who's worth $3 billion--over 6x more than Liberty's operating income in 2015, 12x more than the company's net income--and who's old enough to piss away every penny with no lasting consequences should he so choose.

I don't think enough folks realize that the popular perception of Bernie Ecclestone is often vastly different from that of the people who actually work with him...
Forbes, Feb 25, 2015 wrote:“I’ve done so many deals on a handshake,” [Ecclestone] told GQ magazine in 2013 adding that “the biggest thing for me is people trust me so people rely on me.” It has been lost on no one.

“At the end of the day, Formula One is a closet of hundreds of contracts and Bernie knows them all. He has done them all. The teams trust him and it is difficult to get trust with teams,” says [Alejandro Agag, head of Formula E].

Echoing this, Mr Ecclestone told the Independent in 2012 that “one day, I’m not going to be there and one of the biggest problems is I’ve got really, really good relationships with the race promoters. A few of them said to me, ‘if you’re not there, we’re not there’. That’s what the danger is. They feel that they trust me and wouldn’t want to let me down. That’s probably a very important issue.”

Ron Walker, chairman of the Australian Grand Prix, concurs and revealed to motoring magazine Autoweek that “there will be a number of promoters who will retire when Bernie retires.” Mr Walker explained that “promoters have a very special relationship with Bernie. He is more of a friend than a business colleague, and they are reaching the same age group.”
Say what you will about his outdated methodology, his devotion is unimpeachable, and he always delivers.

At best, Liberty is now pretty much obligated to offer very generous terms in its contracts with teams, promoters, licensees, etc., because Ecclestone will do everything he can to undermine those efforts. Hell, he can even shoulder the cost of breaching current deals (that he knows inside and out). It wouldn't be the first time he's used a fee to reach an end.

It sorta reminds me of this gem from the United States' new Secretary of Defense...

"I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fück with me, I’ll kill you all.”
--Gen. James Mattis, USMC (Ret.)

(To anyone who thinks this can't happen, I urge you to read about "The Split.")

Moose
Moose

toraabe wrote:If F1 is going to be successful in USA you need an oval race . Michigan or Texas would have been nice venues :)
Nope - if F1 is going to be successful in the USA there's only one single action that needs to be made. Don't put the races on at 5am (or 8am depending on the coast you're on).

If the races started 4 hours later, F1 would instantly be more popular in the USA.

Moose
Moose

Moose wrote:
Nope - if F1 is going to be successful in the USA there's only one single action that needs to be made. Don't put the races on at 5am (or 8am depending on the coast you're on).

If the races started 4 hours later, F1 would instantly be more popular in the USA.
(note, yes, I'm aware that different races start at different times, but the vast majority start at the same time, due to it being a good time for western Europe to watch them)

djos

Moose wrote:

Most folk would have a DVR (eg TiVo), this makes the broadcast time less of an issue imo.
"In downforce we trust"

djos

bhall II wrote: (To anyone who thinks this can't happen, I urge you to read about "The Split.")
He's 86, he could literally drop dead at any time - no-one in their right mind would hitch their wagon up to him now when chances are he'll be gone in 5 years!

My Grandfather was like Bernie (sans the Billions), he was in amazing health right up to the month before he was due to turn 91, then boom, pneumonia and we buried him a week before his birthday.
"In downforce we trust"