FIA wants to ban qualifying modes in 2021

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.

Re: FIA wants to ban qualifying modes in 2021

henry wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 17:34
Given that they don’t understand it might not be beyond possibility that having a single mode will make things worse.
Given the FIA's track record I think you can count on this happening...

63l8qrrfy6
63l8qrrfy6

MtthsMlw wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 17:37
henry wrote:

So now it’s the same “map”, whatever that is. Given that the teams run many different modes in the race will this practise have to stop? Removing the two selector dials from the steering wheels would seem the simplest move, and nicely visible to fans.

Given that they don’t understand it might not be beyond possibility that having a single mode will make things worse.
One mode only would benefit the most efficient engine wouldn't it?
And the one already designed to take some extreme qualy abuse.

henry

MtthsMlw wrote:
henry wrote:
Sieper wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 17:16

This tweet by Albert Fabregas

English text

From Spa ownwards , FIA ​​wants engines to run with the same map, both in quali and during the race. Details have not been send to the teams yet. That could cause changes. Some teams don't understand some perfomances during quali. They are pointing at Mercedes now.
So now it’s the same “map”, whatever that is. Given that the teams run many different modes in the race will this practise have to stop? Removing the two selector dials from the steering wheels would seem the simplest move, and nicely visible to fans.

I don’t think efficiency is a one size fits all thing.

For instance for qualifying lap efficiency it might be that ES cooling is the key maximising e-supercharge use, for race lap efficiency perhaps MGU-H output is what’s needed maximising self-sustain use.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

dans79

https://www.racefans.net/2020/08/13/ham ... they-want/

Hamilton
“It’s not a surprise, they’re always trying to slow us down,” said Hamilton. “But it doesn’t really change a huge amount for us so it’s not a problem.”

Mercedes’ rivals believe their engine ‘quali modes’ are a key part of their performance advantage. Asked whether he believes Mercedes have more to lose from the rules change than their rivals, Hamilton said: “No.”

“The guys at our team have just done such a good job with the engine,” he continued. “It’s obviously to slow us down but I don’t think it’s going to get the result that they want. But that’s totally fine if they do it.”
Bottas
Bottas suspects a ban could make it more difficult for drivers to overtake during races.

“Every team obviously has different modes, how much they’re going to risk in terms of wearing the engine and sometimes when they can – and also same for us – save the engine,” he explained. “And also in terms of strategic things in the race for drivers, many times we’re using different kinds of modes whether we are defending or attacking.

“So from my side it feels like if it would be same engine mode for everyone all through the race, there will be less overtaking because everyone’s just running the same modes instead of playing with them and trying to maximise the situation, sometimes using more power, sometimes less.
Last edited by dans79 on 13 Aug 2020, 17:59, edited 1 time in total.
197 104 103 7

dren

1158 wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 17:39
henry wrote:
Given the FIA's track record I think you can count on this happening...
Ferrari International Assistance AKA Fu<king Incompetent A$$hats
Honda!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

MtthsMlw wrote:

It will favour whichever team has an engine that makes the most power in the safest manner. So if they all run at e.g. 90% (in order to ensure they can do the required number of races), the team that makes the same at 90% as other need to run at e.g. 92% to achieve, will benefit the most. They can run with an effective power advantage throughout the race. Alternatively, the team that can make more power at 90% with less fuel can either run lighter during the race. That might mean a team can start with e.g. 5kg less fuel has a one tenth of a second laptime benefit from the first lap.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

El Scorchio

dans79 wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 17:50
Hamilton

https://www.racefans.net/2020/08/13/ham ... they-want/

Hamilton
“It’s not a surprise, they’re always trying to slow us down,” said Hamilton. “But it doesn’t really change a huge amount for us so it’s not a problem.”

Mercedes’ rivals believe their engine ‘quali modes’ are a key part of their performance advantage. Asked whether he believes Mercedes have more to lose from the rules change than their rivals, Hamilton said: “No.”

“The guys at our team have just done such a good job with the engine,” he continued. “It’s obviously to slow us down but I don’t think it’s going to get the result that they want. But that’s totally fine if they do it.”
Bottas
Bottas suspects a ban could make it more difficult for drivers to overtake during races.

“Every team obviously has different modes, how much they’re going to risk in terms of wearing the engine and sometimes when they can – and also same for us – save the engine,” he explained. “And also in terms of strategic things in the race for drivers, many times we’re using different kinds of modes whether we are defending or attacking.

“So from my side it feels like if it would be same engine mode for everyone all through the race, there will be less overtaking because everyone’s just running the same modes instead of playing with them and trying to maximise the situation, sometimes using more power, sometimes less.
I think Bottas is probably right there. So what will they do next if Merc are still qualifying 1-2 every race but then they've taken away the only means the other teams have of getting past them (or anyone past anyone) in the race?

Let everyone else line up and hit the black cars with spanners on the grid before the race?
Last edited by El Scorchio on 13 Aug 2020, 17:58, edited 1 time in total.

dren

Just_a_fan wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 17:54
MtthsMlw wrote:

It will favour whichever team has an engine that makes the most power in the safest manner. So if they all run at e.g. 90% (in order to ensure they can do the required number of races), the team that makes the same at 90% as other need to run at e.g. 92% to achieve, will benefit the most. They can run with an effective power advantage throughout the race. Alternatively, the team that can make more power at 90% with less fuel can either run lighter during the race. That might mean a team can start with e.g. 5kg less fuel has a one tenth of a second laptime benefit from the first lap.
I would assume they are already doing this to some extent.
Honda!

the EDGE
the EDGE

The FIA also raised concerns that the nature of some teams’ engine modes could put them in violation of rules prohibiting driver aids. Article 27.1 of the sporting regulations states “the driver must drive the car alone and unaided”.
I was wondering how long it would take before the FIA use this regulation to implement yet another change, they really do believe it’s the sentence that encompasses everything

I fail to see how pushing an engine to the limit could possibly be considered a driver aid, are they all going to have to add pedals, And race ‘Flintstone‘ style?

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

dans79 wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 17:50

Bottas

That would be one of the Unintended Consequences I mentioned earlier. The drivers have an overtake button that basically allows them to use more of the engine's extreme performance (much like quali modes do) in order to have a brief bit of extra performance to attack/defend. Taking it away removes a tool from the drivers that will probably reduce racing on track.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

the EDGE wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 17:59
The FIA also raised concerns that the nature of some teams’ engine modes could put them in violation of rules prohibiting driver aids. Article 27.1 of the sporting regulations states “the driver must drive the car alone and unaided”.
I was wondering how long it would take before the FIA use this regulation to implement yet another change, they really do believe it’s the sentence that encompasses everything

I fail to see how pushing an engine to the limit could possibly be considered a driver aid, are they all going to have to add pedals, And race ‘Flintstone‘ style?
The obvious item that breaks this rule is the gearbox. The driver doesn't use it unaided. A computer does it for him when he presses a button. No missed changes, no burnt out clutches, no over-revved engines.

So let's ban the semi-auto gearbox too.

Ban all people in the pits. No race engineers, no pit radios. Heck, no mechanics - make the driver change his own tyres when he decides they need changing. :lol:

Back to this from Spa onwards:

It's the only way to even up the spectacle... 8) =D>

dans79

Just_a_fan wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 18:00
That would be one of the Unintended Consequences I mentioned earlier. The drivers have an overtake button that basically allows them to use more of the engine's extreme performance (much like quali modes do) in order to have a brief bit of extra performance to attack/defend. Taking it away removes a tool from the drivers that will probably reduce racing on track.
Yep, we will go all the way back to pre KERS. The only way drivers will be able to pass after the first few corners will be with a huge tire offset, and DRS. And at most tracks even that won't be enough. It will be a cacophony of complaints about every race being a procession.
197 104 103 7

dans79

Just_a_fan wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 18:08
It's the only way to even up the spectacle... 8) =D>
Forget the spectacle, I want cold blooded cut throat engineering.

If I wanted to watch an engineered spectacle, i'd watch wrestling, or sleep in on saturday and sunday and watch NASCAR at a reasonable time for those of us that live in North America.

I haven't watched nascar since I was a teenager because I thought it was to dumbed down.
197 104 103 7

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

dren wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 17:57
Just_a_fan wrote:
13 Aug 2020, 17:54
MtthsMlw wrote:

I would assume they are already doing this to some extent.
To a degree they do, they manage the engine to manage fuel use, component life etc. But with no active management allowed - no changing maps to effect this management, the teams will have to run conservatively all the time.

"What can we run the PU at constantly for 72 laps?"
"87%"
"Ok, set it up"
"But we'll get hammered by the guys able to run theirs at 90%, especially on the first lap!"
"Yeah, I know, but we can't do anything else."
"Why are we bothering then?"
"Good question..."

the EDGE
the EDGE

So this is the only explanation I have managed to find so far of how this new role will be Implemented
One theory is this will be enforced by requiring teams to use their qualifying modes for a percentage of the race that would not be achievable with the current peak performance setting because of the impact it has on engine life and battery management.
https://the-race.com/formula-1/special- ... ter-spain/

This would obviously seriously impact any supplier with reliability issues far more than the team with the best track-record for reliability

Have the FIA actually released any details of the new regulation yet? Or is this just another poorly thought out knee-jerk reaction that will make things worse like all of her other knee jerk reactions have done