Le Mans 24 hours 2010

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
dumrick
dumrick

Re: Le Mans 24 hours 2010

Qualifying has ended and at the top of LMP1, the status quo has little varied.

You'll find the results and the timing data here.

I hope not, but it's starting to look a lot like the 2009 for me. I don't know where Audi's superior top speed from the 8h du Castellet is gone and looking at sector time data, the Peugeots look faster all-around. Furthermore, the image of the Audis in the box, seemingly for setup work, mirrored last year's Le Mans week. The Peugeots seemed to go round a lot more and the relaxation at the pits was perceivable.

Every pundit looks sure the Audis will have longer stints, but my peeks at Paul Ricard and Spa data seem to demonstrate otherwise. Maybe Audi has traded some power for fuel efficiency for the big one? Let's wait and see, keeping in mind that unstable weather could play a part also. So far, in light rain conditions experienced at Spa and Paul Ricard, the Audis rushed earlier than anyone else to take the slicks out, but in heavier rain condition, the open cockpit could be an advantage (at least Wolfgang Ullrich hinted at it).

Let's hope there will be some close battles and that the TV direction is intelligent enough to show them, in any class they may unfold...

WhiteBlue

Unless all the Peugeots hit unreliability (which I don't think they will) Audi will loose that one like last year. The Pugs have sandbagged nicely and should be in for top honors.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

raceman

Bourdais for pole in Le Mans 24 Hours

=D> =D>

Front roe lockout by Peugeot!

Pandamasque

raceman wrote:Bourdais for pole in Le Mans 24 Hours

=D> =D>

Front roe lockout by Peugeot!
First and second rows in fact :)

dumrick
dumrick

It seems the #82 Risi Competizione failed tech inspection and could be demoted from its GT2 pole.

Another thing: can someone confirm if the #81 Jaguar RSR is really the first Indian vehicle to compete in Le Mans?

Pandamasque

dumrick wrote:Another thing: can someone confirm if the #81 Jaguar RSR is really the first Indian vehicle to compete in Le Mans?
:lol: What could be more Indian than a very private American outfit with a car that's vaguely similar to a British car by a manufacturer owned by an Indian businessman.

dumrick
dumrick

It's almost time, so I'll post some video appetizers.

The first is a (in my opinion) superbly edited video, with some beautiful footage, called "Summer Night At Le Mans", that touches the nostalgic chord, going from the 1950's to early 1980's.

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/gDnKGYk85Cs/

The second is a video with some poor image and audio, but nicely edited (it shortens the outlap with some clever outboards) of the inboard cam from Blundell's Nissan R90CK in his famous 1990 qualifying lap, where he ignored the engineers asking him to turn the engine down and made pole with boost enough for reported 1100bhp. It was a lot wilder like that :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lMItc4cy8U[/youtube]

Are you now in the mood? :lol:

Shrek
Shrek

NO I NEED MORE!!!!! :D
Spencer

WhiteBlue

dumrick wrote: The second is a video ... of the inboard cam from Blundell's Nissan R90CK in his famous 1990 qualifying lap, where he ignored the engineers asking him to turn the engine down and made pole with boost enough for reported 1100bhp. It was a lot wilder like that :D
The insane speed combined with the early downshifts (in comparison with F1) make this really look weird. Look at how much steering work he does.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

WhiteBlue

The Peugeots are leading the race as expected and the Mansell car is already out. Nigel had a spin and crashed out probably related to mechanical failure.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Word is Nigel is OK.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

dumrick wrote:It seems the #82 Risi Competizione failed tech inspection and could be demoted from its GT2 pole.
The #83 Risi Competizione LM GT2 Ferrari F 430 GT driven by Tracy Krohn, Niclas Jönsson and Eric van de Poele set a potential LM GT2 pole time, only to have it cancelled last night when an ACO official discovered a minor irregularity with the car's rear wing during a routine check. This will mean that they start the race from the back of the grid.

The team are obviously disappointed with their own mistake, but they are still confident, and with good reason. They have won each of six major sportscar races in which it has competed since June 2008.
http://www.lemans.org/en/news/Risi-82-L ... y_717.html

Some fasteners on the rear wing were missing, and led the officials to believe the that some parts of the rear wing could have flexed under aero load, and resulted in a loss of drag on the straights.

Great stuff going on, and the battle between the Audis and Peugots is fascinating.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

Richard
Richard

Shame Mansell's Ginetta is out already, they're a local firm. The father & 2 sons was a bit gimmicky, but I suppose without that publicity they wouldn't have got the funding to get on the track?

Caused by a puncture apparently.

Anthony Davidson sets fastest lap. I'm glad for him, but it barely compensates missing his commentary from Canada ;)

fenix4life
fenix4life

Already one peugeot down.
Suspension failure

WhiteBlue

Boullion in the 13 Rebellion spins out and damages the rear. He is ok but probably out of the race.

The Peugeots can go the higher pace and will have put two laps on the Audis by half way time. Unless they mess up with reliability or driver error they should win this one.