2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
dans79

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

lh13 wrote:
06 Jun 2021, 17:31
Mchamilton wrote:
06 Jun 2021, 17:30
lh13 wrote:
06 Jun 2021, 17:28

What would be the benefit of putting all bias to the front? How does this help with race (re)starts?
Tyre warm up on lap to grid and behind safety car. Hence why he turn it off.
Accidently flickin it back on is a tiny error with major consequences.
It would surly help with the front tire warmup but aren't the rears more important during race starts?
Getting the front tires warm by dumping brake heat into them, means better front end grip. Thus you can take turns faster, and you can break a little later.

The drivers can already put a lot of heat into the rear tires if they choose to by spinning them up before the start.

However, if going into turn one he had no brake by wire that would explain why he locked both fronts.
197 104 103 7

lh13
lh13

dans79 wrote:
06 Jun 2021, 17:35
lh13 wrote:
Mchamilton wrote:

It would surly help with the front tire warmup but aren't the rears more important during race starts?
Getting the front tires warm by dumping brake heat into them, means better front end grip. Thus you can take turns faster, and you can break a little later.

The drivers can already put a lot of heat into the rear tires if they choose to by spinning them up before the start.

However, if going into turn one he had no brake by wire that would explain why he locked both fronts.
Yeah, I understand now. Front brakes alone are not capable of stopping the car at full speed.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

dans79 wrote:
06 Jun 2021, 17:35
lh13 wrote:
Mchamilton wrote:

It’s easy to heat up the outside of the rear tyres by spinning them up. But getting the inner Carcas warm can still be a challenge. That surface heat doesn’t radiate that easily. So has to be done with brake heat really

Marty_Y
Marty_Y

Just so gutting.

DarthPlagueisTheVise
DarthPlagueisTheVise

Lewis' restart onboard
Technical Noob

nacho
nacho

Any comments about Bottas, something wrong with the car?

littlebigcat
littlebigcat

Toto said on Sky that Bottas couldn't get the setup to work and didn't have confidence in the car

pursue_one's

Toto said after the race that Lewis had somehow accidentally triggered the magic button, and was unaware until he hit the brakes.
I think they need to redesign on the steering wheel.

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

I support Ham for his try on RB. If Mercedes called him in right time into 1st pitstop he would be front of Perez. First Mistake by Mercedes.
Second Mistake came from HAM has he wrongly touched the button which caused him the break.
I know Ham very will. If he faces these kind of deficts, he will come very strong and aggressive in next couple of races.
Finally RB lost 28 point lead to HAM if Max won and Ham in 3rd place. However Ham lost only 15 points and still the point standings are same.
Looking forward to France GP. I bet he will be very fast....

e30ernest
e30ernest

selvam_e2002 wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 03:37
I support Ham for his try on RB. If Mercedes called him in right time into 1st pitstop he would be front of Perez. First Mistake by Mercedes.
Second Mistake came from HAM has he wrongly touched the button which caused him the break.
I know Ham very will. If he faces these kind of deficts, he will come very strong and aggressive in next couple of races.
Finally RB lost 28 point lead to HAM if Max won and Ham in 3rd place. However Ham lost only 15 points and still the point standings are same.
Looking forward to France GP. I bet he will be very fast....
Nah, Hamilton was not quick enough to keep the Red Bulls behind even with a quick stop. Both Max and Perez had really fast laps as Hamilton pitted. At that stage of the race, the Merc didn't have the pace to keep the Bulls behind.

Shrieker

"That looked like brake failure" :(

I was suspecting the 'brake magic' story, but coupled with this, looks like he indeed hit the button/toggle on the wheel, when he was bringing his hand back from the top. What an unfortunate thing to happen.

With that said, every button press on the wheel should give both a visual and audible warning to the drivers. A simple audible 'magic on' warning could've given him ample warning to restore it back to the setting he should've been on...
Last edited by Shrieker on 07 Jun 2021, 09:09, edited 2 times in total.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

e30ernest
e30ernest

Yeah the post race radios seem to indicate it was indeed an accidental press. I'm with you here that something like the Brake Magic should not be something that can be switched on by a single press. I feel sorry for Lewis there, but it does keep the championship excitement alive. Both Lewis and Max will be fired up next race.

wickedz50
wickedz50

littlebigcat wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 00:26
Toto said on Sky that Bottas couldn't get the setup to work and didn't have confidence in the car
Am I the only one who thinks that below par performance from Bothas is one prime reason now that Redbulls leading the WCC by a good margin.
There is excuse every other race and very frustrating to see way below par performance by Bothas. When will Toto wake up to this harsh reality? after they lose the WCC?

e30ernest
e30ernest

wickedz50 wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 10:21
littlebigcat wrote:
Am I the only one who thinks that below par performance from Bothas is one prime reason now that Redbulls leading the WCC by a good margin.
There is excuse every other race and very frustrating to see way below par performance by Bothas. When will Toto wake up to this harsh reality? after they lose the WCC?
Merc is behind RB because the whole team is underperforming. They were leading up to Monaco, but Bottas had a DNF due to no fault of his own from 2nd while Hamilton languished down the grid. This time around, Bottas did not have the car setup to his liking so he did not have the confidence required to go to the limit in a street circuit like Baku. Also, Lewis dropped the ball here.

e30ernest
e30ernest

e30ernest wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 10:26
wickedz50 wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 10:21
littlebigcat wrote:
Merc is behind RB because the whole team is underperforming while RB are performing really well. They were leading up to Monaco, but Bottas had a DNF due to no fault of his own from 2nd while Hamilton languished down the grid. This time around, Bottas did not have the car setup to his liking so he did not have the confidence required to go to the limit in a street circuit like Baku. Also, Lewis dropped the ball here.