2014 Design

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Kiril Varbanov

Re: 2014 Design

Scarbs has extensive number of pages on 2014 aero and design intricacies at the latest Motorsport Monday issue - http://digital.motorsportmonday.com//la ... 1e05c8534a

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

is it possible according to the regulations to have a inlet at the front of the car that'll direct air through the tub towards the rear through canals? or possibly from an opening in the airbox steering air towards the floor at the back?

like this? perhaps it's been discussed before

was just thinking about the lack of rear downforce and possibile solutions, paired with the possibility of 'taking advantage'
of the vanity panels. i recall the f-duct, s-duct, and the openings in the nose to direct air of redbull and sauber with the stepped noses, was wondering if something could be done to direct air to the rear.

possibly through slots in the tub, like a closed canal inside the carbon structure that has a closed path from the nose towards the rear part of the car where the air will exit possibly 'airblowing' the floor. maybe it's a stupid idea and probabyl the rules won't allow, but the idea crossed my mind [i'm sure i'm not the first to think of this]
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

BorisTheBlade

Kiril Varbanov wrote:Scarbs has extensive number of pages on 2014 aero and design intricacies at the latest Motorsport Monday issue - http://digital.motorsportmonday.com//la ... 1e05c8534a
Very nice article by Scarbs as always. But what I didn't get was his proposed alternative nose which was short and rounded. Can somebody explain the concept?

astracrazy
astracrazy

Manoah2u wrote:is it possible according to the regulations to have a inlet at the front of the car that'll direct air through the tub towards the rear through canals? or possibly from an opening in the airbox steering air towards the floor at the back?
are you talking about feeding that air through the starter hole? The inlets would be legal as far as i'm aware.

I think a few years ago there was rumours/suggestions Lotus/Renault were going to try something similar with holes through the bottom of the sidepod. I think scarbs might have looked into it and it wouldn't of been viable. It rings a bell anyway. So i see no reason why this would be, even though it would be legal.

I'd imagine with the fduct and ddrs thing these sort of ideas would have been looked up for all over the car.

BorisTheBlade

@Manoah2u
What you need to consider is that channelling air like you describe is not of benefit in itself. It does only make sense if you either can engerize it somehow (e.g. the exhaust blowing) or have another special purpose (e.g. the F-Duct). So I wouldn't count on anything like what you described happening.

f1316
f1316

This 'channelling' occurred to me before - I was actually envisaging something like the Ferrari 2013 'shark mouth'.

Isn't there also the possibility that this kind of thing could be used for greater cooling and therefore less is needed elsewhere (and the limits of tighter packaging etc. can then be exploited)?

techF1LES

Blanchimont
Blanchimont

Is the white part in the picture the nose and the distance marked in yellow the height above the neutral front wing profile?

And next to the survival cell close to the ground it looks like there is a seperate cooling inlet, maybe for the battery?
Dear FIA, if you read this, please pm me for a redesign of the Technical Regulations to avoid finger nose shapes for 2016! :-)

CoventryClimax
CoventryClimax

Looks like that...

BorisTheBlade

If this is the real deal that's a huge vanity panel.
Not sure about the inlet you mention. The new standard SIPS hasn't been attached, has it?

enri_the_red
enri_the_red

Blackout

IMO the yellow part is a pylon... Looks like a 2013/2012 nose...

Seamus
Seamus

yeh. it's '13 car i think. ( :

hollus

I posted this in the old RB9 thread, I am copying it here too. It is just a theory, but if this effect is indeed in place, then all front wings will have to be outwash wings even in 2014. An inwash wing would destroy or displace this vortex.
Apologies if this has been suggested earlier, I think it has been, just that then we hadn't seen...
...this incredibly static vortex:
Then there is this interpretation of where it is going:
Certainly the condensation trail goes all the way to the edge of the floor, so it is reasonable to think that the vortex itself extends well beyond the wider part of the sidepod.
This is an interpretation of what it might be doing there, rather than having its effect all the way down at the rear wheel:
In that case, the main effect of this vortex, for Red Bull an teams that get it this static only, would be to extract air from under the floor, "sealing" the floor sides. This would almost certainly work at the floor's edge, very likely at the (suspiciously round) sidepod bulge, and possibly well behind it. The exhaust is presumably still in charge of sealing the floor - rear wheel interaction area.

This might explain the ridiculously extreme rake of the RB9. Some of it from the blown exhausts, that other teams also had, some of it from this flap vortex making sure the air moves outwards (or at least it is pushed that way so some extent) all along the floor's side edge. It is a side skirt of sorts, with this effect alone allowing the middle of the floor to be quite high (a necessary side effect of having the very rear that absurdly high, with the exhaust blowing making that part possible).
Arguably it could be this effect that the other teams were missing, as a vortex that either moves or is shorter, like what the Ferrari showed, will die earlier, or move away from the floor, allowing air to rush in from the sides.
Rivals, not enemies.

SectorOne

Do you think teams will go the RB route with pretty much only using a cannon outlet as engine cover considering it will be even more crucial to get lots of air to the diffuser?

Also seeing as the exhaust has to exit there anyways?
Or will we see teams opening up the sidepod similar to what Ferrari has done?

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"