Malaysian GP 2012 - Sepang International Circuit

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Abarth

Re: Malaysian GP 2012 - Sepang International Circuit

White Blue, what is actually your point? Are you a lawyer in court?

Vettel lost his points, and you can take that case into any court of the world, they can not give them back to him.
Vettel could have avoided this crash with driving either
- with more prudence (in german, as you know, it's called "Vorsicht". A very very good combination of words. Pre-Sight)
OR
- with more respect towards the little guys

For the former, it takes intelligence. I do not think that Vettel lacks some.

But for the second, it takes respect. He clearly proved, after the accident but especially in _more than one_ (one in German, and at least one in English with BBC) interview, that he completely lacks any respect towards some fellow drivers. Sad.

banibhusan

The immaterial has indeed become immaterial..

Abarth

A pretty good italian article about Dr. Seb and Mr. Vettel, comparing him to Jekyll and Hide, likable, nice and smiling when he wins, just as distrustful and intractable when he loses.

http://www.blogf1.it/2012/03/28/dr-seb- ... ne-acerbo/

Sorry, i do not have the time to translate it.

myurr
myurr

WhiteBlue - so you only want to consider a 1 second period of time from when Vettel draws alongside to the moment of impact, and consider everything else to be circumstantial or irrelevant?

Frankly I find that a bit of a joke, although I do love the way you hide behind pseudo lawyer speak, but let's consider that 1 second period. That one second figure, by the way, is based on there being at least a 16 mph speed differential which given then speed at which Vettel closes is probably very conservative.

NK wouldn't have even been able to see SV throughout that entire time period. I would postulate that the cars would have to be level before NK could have seen enough of SV's car with enough accuracy to be able to determine both position and trajectory. With a 16 mph speed differential this would have given NK just 0.5 seconds to react and change path.

The human visual response time is roughly 0.15 seconds but on average it takes 0.45 seconds to actually act upon that visual stimulus. So with just a 16 mph speed differential NK would have had just 0.05 seconds during which his actions could affect the positioning of his car. At 20mph he wouldn't have had time to react at all.

Contrast this with SV who had complete visibility of NK throughout the entire first part of the incident and therefore had all the visual clues to know he was on a collision course.

As shown on Giblet's image which has been corrected to eliminate camera movement, during that period you wish to consider both cars held a constant line. NK was following the racing line, SV chose an overtaking line that crossed that line. SV knew this throughout the entire incident and yet didn't change course.

Based on all the above SV caused an avoidable accident by setting his car on a path that crossed NK's path despite having full visibility of this.

Rule 20.5 does not apply as during this period NK has complied with letting SV past. There is at least 15 metres of track available to SV and SV has a large speed differential meaning he can make the overtake. NK has not changed line to block SV, and has therefore let SV make the overtake unimpeded.

Rule 16.1 can be applied to both drivers, nowhere do the rules state that 20.5 means that 16.1 does not apply to the overtaker despite your assertions and claims about a duty of care. SV can be shown to have caused a collision by choosing a trajectory that crosses NK's path.

But all the above is irrelevant at the end of the day. You can hide behind the rulebook all you like, spouting the unquestionable truth as judge and jury, and can cling to the non-punishment handed down by the stewards as justification for SV's behaviour. The simple truth is that SV chose a line that required NK to react and change course, something that didn't happen. That was SV's choice, his risk to take, and it went wrong. If he wants to be world champion again he either needs to pray for a dominant car, or he needs to stop taking unnecessary risks whilst passing back markers.

Citation for human response times: http://fias.uni-frankfurt.de/~triesch/c ... essing.pdf

gridwalker
gridwalker

In short, if das Wunderkind mit dem Finger Fetisch couldn't see his accident coming then he's not as good as Newey has made him appear.
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

WhiteBlue wrote:Those are excerpts of the sporting regulations which have been applied by the stewards. They are by no means a complete quotation of the applicable regulation sections. I have quoted the steward's document in full text and the full text of the relevant sporting regulation sections.

Nowhere in the regulations does it make reference to the lapped driver having to move off the racing line.

You invented that.

Can I assume now that you are stating you do not invent rules you are in agreement that the lapped driver does not have to move off the racing line?

raceman

gridwalker wrote:In short, if das Wunderkind mit dem Finger Fetisch couldn't see his accident coming then he's not as good as Newey has made him appear.
=D>

Exactly!

Giblet
Giblet

If we don't things in context, we might as well throw out all logic. What led up to NK hitting Vettel's tire is part of the incident.

This is why you can't shoot someone and say "The trigger was pulled, the pin engaged, and the bullet traveled out of the gun, shooting the person in the face. Everything that happened before that is inconsequential."
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

WhiteBlue

kris wrote:Would the stewards/driver's represntative deciding penalities have access to telemetry data when they decide to take action or are they also limited to video footage?
Could it be that the telemtry should some abnormality before the collision that they decided to penalise NK?
The stewards get to see everything that is available of the incident. That means video of over head heli cams NK's roll hoop camera if available, telemetry traces of both cars and the drivers official statements. They are in a much better situation regarding evidence than any fan or pundit.

Edited for typo
Last edited by WhiteBlue on 29 Mar 2012, 20:08, edited 1 time in total.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

WhiteBlue

GrizzleBoy wrote:
kris wrote:Would the stewards/driver's represntative deciding penalities have access to telemetry data when they decide to take action or are they also limited to video footage?
Could it be that the telemtry should some abnormality before the collision that they decided to penalise NK?
They gave the slowest, non point scoring car that was already at the back of the field a 20 second time penatly.

What changes? Nothing, pretty much.

When you look at it like that, it's not so much a penalty as it is the FIA doing the bare minimum to stop the "big boys" crying that he "got away" with sabotaging them.
The regulations specify the penalty and that was exactly applied by the stewards. A drive through penalty is applicable for NK's violation. Then it was decided to deal with the issue after the race and the drive through was automatically converted into a 20s penalty. All this is standard practise. Your comments show that you are plainly biased and do not recognize that in this case. The stewards simply did their duty.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

bhall
bhall

WhiteBlue wrote:The regulations specify the penalty and that was exactly applied by the stewards. A drive through penalty is applicable for NK's violation. Then it was decided to deal with the issue after the race and the drive through was automatically converted into a 20s penalty. All this is standard practise. Your comments show that you are plainly biased and do not recognize that in this case. The stewards simply did their duty.

16.1 "Incident" means any occurrence or series of occurrences involving one or more drivers, or any action by any driver, which is reported to the stewards by the race director (or noted by the stewards and subsequently investigated) which :
[...]
d) Caused a collision.
e) Forced a driver off the track.
f) Illegitimately prevented a legitimate overtaking manoeuvre by a driver.
g) Illegitimately impeded another driver during overtaking.

Unless it was completely clear that a driver was in breach of any of the above, any incidents involving more than one car will normally be investigated after the race.

16.2 a) It shall be at the discretion of the stewards to decide, upon a report or a request by the race director, if a driver or drivers involved in an incident shall be penalised.

16.3 The stewards may impose any one of the penalties below on any driver involved in an Incident:
a) A drive‐through penalty. The driver must enter the pit lane and re‐join the race without stopping.
b) A ten second time penalty. The driver must enter the pit lane, stop at his pit for at least ten seconds and then re‐join the race.

If either of the two penalties above are imposed during the last five laps, or after the end of a race, Article 16.4b) below will not apply and 20 seconds will be added to the elapsed race time of the driver concerned in the case of a) above and 30 seconds in the case of b).

c) A time penalty.
d) A reprimand.

###

The stewards didn't initially think the matter was clear, and they didn't pass judgment or issue a penalty until after being lobbied by the teams.

All of this is to say that there's nothing about this incident that's black-and-white, right-or-wrong. Any other portrayal is dishonest.

WhiteBlue

myurr wrote:WhiteBlue - so you only want to consider a 1 second period of time from when Vettel draws alongside to the moment of impact, and consider everything else to be circumstantial or irrelevant?
This case is rather clear cut. And yes you can do it because of the particular circumstances.
Frankly I find that a bit of a joke, although I do love the way you hide behind pseudo lawyer speak, but

You are the one who applies rhetorics here.....

.. let's consider that 1 second period. That one second figure, by the way, is based on there being at least a 16 mph speed differential which given then speed at which Vettel closes is probably very conservative. NK wouldn't have even been able to see SV throughout that entire time period.
The question or better the excuse of "I did not see him" is already eliminated from this case. NK did not make that excuse. He must have seen Vettel's approach or he would have used that excuse. If he did not see him and did not tell the stewards and the press about it I have even more doubts about his mental state than his driving.
I would postulate that the cars would have to be level before NK could have seen enough of SV's car with enough accuracy to be able to determine both position and trajectory. With a 16 mph speed differential this would have given NK just 0.5 seconds to react and change path.

The human visual response time is roughly 0.15 seconds but on average it takes 0.45 seconds to actually act upon that visual stimulus. So with just a 16 mph speed differential NK would have had just 0.05 seconds during which his actions could affect the positioning of his car. At 20mph he wouldn't have had time to react at all.
You are making an assumption that is not logical (NK did not see SV before) and then you construct a theory based on false assumptions that seemingly uses physical calculations for pseudo exactness. I'm not going to follow that flawed theory.
Contrast this with SV who had complete visibility of NK throughout the entire first part of the incident and therefore had all the visual clues to know he was on a collision course.
Vettel was by no means on a collision course. That is your invention.
As shown on Giblet's image which has been corrected to eliminate camera movement, during that period you wish to consider both cars held a constant line. NK was following the racing line, SV chose an overtaking line that crossed that line. SV knew this throughout the entire incident and yet didn't change course.
Giblet's manipulated image shows nothing if you ask me. Everybody can photoshop images from different cameras, points in time, angles and make any number of claims. I do not consider that proper evidence. I'm not buying the theory that they were on lines that would be crossing each other before Vettel's car would completely pass NK's car. There is no evidence for this theory at all. A helicam video could perhaps provide or not provide such evidence or NK's roll hoop cam, but we don't have such evidence. The steward's might have had it because they can call it in.
Based on all the above SV caused an avoidable accident by setting his car on a path that crossed NK's path despite having full visibility of this.
I totally reject that. It is ridiculous. NK made a steering move towards the right when SV was passing him. SV could not see that because he was already committed to the pass and held his course. The stewards clearly ruled that NK and not SV caused the collision.
Rule 20.5 does not apply as during this period NK has complied with letting SV past. There is at least 15 metres of track available to SV and SV has a large speed differential meaning he can make the overtake. NK has not changed line to block SV, and has therefore let SV make the overtake unimpeded.
Once again you are in error. §20.5 applies to the whole passing move until the passing driver is clear of the car that he is lapping. I'm not going to entertain your speculations and theories based on a flawed understanding of the rules.
Rule 16.1 can be applied to both drivers,..

Naturally §16.1 covers more than lapping. Everybody is aware of that.
nowhere do the rules state that 20.5 means that 16.1 does not apply to the overtaker despite your assertions and claims about a duty of care.

And what is that supposed to prove? The two paragraphs will always be applied in the way they fit the situation. In this situation NK was punished because he steered towards the right side into Vettel's car.
SV can be shown to have caused a collision by choosing a trajectory that crosses NK's path.
I totally disagree. You can speculate about trajectories all the time you like, but you have no evidence for that speculation. Apparently the stewards had none of this either.
But all the above is irrelevant at the end of the day. You can hide behind the rulebook all you like, spouting the unquestionable truth as judge and jury, and can cling to the non-punishment handed down by the stewards as justification for SV's behaviour. The simple truth is that SV chose a line that required NK to react and change course, something that didn't happen. That was SV's choice, his risk to take, and it went wrong.
This is your opinion of the accident to which you are entitled. Let me tell you simply that in my view it is not a proper reflection of what happened in reality.
If he wants to be world champion again he either needs to pray for a dominant car, or he needs to stop taking unnecessary risks whilst passing back markers.
Another piece of opinion that I don't share. Red Bull and Sebastian Vettel were beaten well below their value in a wet race that had many aspects of a lottery and in which the true dry pace of the cars never played a role. They will fight back and Vettel is well capable to win races and a championship with a car that has roughly the same pace on balance of qualifying and race. I'm not going to second guess Seb about the risks he needs to take. That is is job and not for Monday arm chair experts to decide.

WhiteBlue

kilcoo316 wrote:Nowhere in the regulations does it make reference to the lapped driver having to move off the racing line. You invented that.
I have invented nothing. The regulations do not specify how the lapped driver has to act in order to let the leading driver pass. They don't have to. They simply say: "has to let him pass as soon as possible"
Can I assume now that you are stating you do not invent rules you are in agreement that the lapped driver does not have to move off the racing line?
You may not assume anything that is based on faulty understanding of the rules.

WhiteBlue

bhallg2k wrote:The stewards didn't initially think the matter was clear, and they didn't pass judgment or issue a penalty until after being lobbied by the teams.
It was already announced during the race that the incident was under investigation. Vettel wasn't going to get his position back by any outcome of the investigation, so it was postponed for after the race. That is standard practise, as I have pointed out. The drivers and the teams are heard by the stewards after the race and they make their statements. They are not lobbying.
All of this is to say that there's nothing about this incident that's black-and-white, right-or-wrong.

I disagree. It was wrong of Karthikeyan to cause a collision while he was under duty to let Vettel pass as soon as possible.
Last edited by Steven on 30 Mar 2012, 12:43, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed personal comments

Giblet
Giblet

I don't even see why there is even discussion about the blue flags. He didn't ignore them, and Vettel was so much faster the only way the blue flag would have mattered is if NK pulled out in front of him.

Since he didn't and just hit his tire, it was 'causing a collision' which is the broken rule right?

As far as rules it was judged right IMO. The conversation about the accident being avoidable by either party is different all together.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute