Formula E

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
strad

Re: Formula E

Maybe they do just look smaller...I'd have to check the specs I guess, but J.A.W. is probably right as well.

According to the FIA there is no set specs for the size of the brake discs. At least none I can find in their rules .
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Andres125sx

Sorry but I think he´s not, to me they look pretty similar, it´s the wheel rim

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Andres125sx wrote:
14 May 2018, 08:55

https://i.redd.it/5aqv3ax5q01z.jpg
https://www.motoryracing.com/images/not ... 4206/2.jpg
Yeah, that's actually pretty funny.. as if you can see brake specs & deduce they're pretty much identical - from looking at pix!

What does Brembo have to say about it?
They'd surely know..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

ajprice
ajprice

I watched some of the Nurburgring 24h this weekend, part of it had Alan McNish in with the commentators and they talked about FE. McNish said the battery hardware hasn't been changed since the first year of FE to this season, and since Audi came on board with the Schaeffer team, bringing people from the Audi WEC team, they have gained 15% battery efficiency, or an extra 6 laps per race, through the software. This was on Saturday evening, about 5 hours in, if anyone else was watching it on YouTube.

Andres125sx

J.A.W. wrote:
14 May 2018, 13:19
Andres125sx wrote:
14 May 2018, 08:55

https://i.redd.it/5aqv3ax5q01z.jpg
https://www.motoryracing.com/images/not ... 4206/2.jpg
Yeah, that's actually pretty funny.. as if you can see brake specs & deduce they're pretty much identical - from looking at pix!

What does Brembo have to say about it?
They'd surely know..
Yes it´s funny how you assume the brake discs are small based on a picture....
J.A.W. wrote:
13 May 2018, 00:14
Seems likely that - no repeated hard braking from ~350 km/h, for a much longer race - would have a fair bit to do with it..
But if I post that same picture again along with a similar picture of a F1 car with 18´rins to compare, then a picture is not enough to see brake specs :lol: :lol: #-o

mzso
mzso

Andres125sx wrote:
14 May 2018, 18:08
But if I post that same picture again along with a similar picture of a F1 car with 18´rins to compare, then a picture is not enough to see brake specs :lol: :lol: #-o
If the diameter (including tyre) is claimed to be identical, at the very least you need a proper sideways photo for both and scaling them to an identical height. Otherwise it's just impressions.

Andres125sx

Agree, but they´re exactly same impressions wich motivated some people to assume FE discs are small, so a picture can be enough or not (I really don´t care) but some consistency will be much appreciatted :wink:

Andres125sx

Interesting article(s) about batteries in FE

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/ ... batteries/

MtthsMlw

J.A.W.
J.A.W.

Funny indeed - that anyone would assume that Brembo would find it needful to fit F1-spec brakes.. to a piddling FE..
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

Andres125sx

J.A.W. wrote:
18 May 2018, 09:16
Funny indeed - that anyone would assume that Brembo would find it needful to fit F1-spec brakes.. to a piddling FE..
Who? Where did you read that? :roll: #-o

santos
santos

Formula E
Brakes - Brembo package; bespoke carbon discs and pads 278 mm in diameter at the front and 263 mm at the rear, callipers and tandem master cylinder - brake-by-wire at the rear.

Formula 1

Each wheel must have no more than one brake disc of 278mm maximum diameter and 32mm maximum thickness.

They have the same diameter.

http://www.fiaformulae.com/en/news/2018 ... in-geneva/

strad

Thanks
I saw that but skipped on to the Technical regs and didn't find that there.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

henry

Size and capability are not the same thing. There’s a little more goes in to braking capability than disc diameter.

Manufacturing facilities may have infuenced the size as much as any performance criteria.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

jjn9128

strad wrote:
19 May 2018, 03:54
Thanks
I saw that but skipped on to the Technical regs and didn't find that there.
Probably because being a single spec series all the teams run the same brakes :shrug: . I've not managed to work out why the tech tegs for FE cover so much for bodywork and other things they can't change. All it needs to say is don't modify the bodywork, surely?! I dunno, maybe brembo use the same sizes as F1 so they can re-use the moulds!?!
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica