2018 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal June 8-10

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
turbof1

Re: 2018 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal June 8-10

Big Mangalhit wrote:
07 Jun 2018, 16:02
turbof1 wrote:
07 Jun 2018, 14:56
Just_a_fan wrote:
07 Jun 2018, 14:47
The real talking point here is that Mercedes are confident enough that the PU1 units will all be able to do an extra event over and above the expected "life" of the units.
It actually isn't. Most of the components have to do 7 race weekends...
True, but it is common to change the first PU before the average time because it has to do all the FP and races whist the second and third will have an old PU's to help them do the FP's. So I guess it is not optimal to have one PU for 7 races but instead have the first PU for less races (lets say 6) then the other two for 7/8 races each but resting during all the FP. I think the first PU of the season is always the one with most mileage if it doesn't break.

I remember a tweet last year with the mileage of the first Ferrari PU and with was unbelievable, probably because it did so many FP after introducing the second.
However, you can just the future FP mileage of the old PU earlier for the race mileage, using the new PU for the substracted FP time because you saved mileage on it by introducing it one race later? It just means you have to reshuffle a bit, but eventually you can get back to the same planned mileage on each PU before introducing the 3th. The reason why you they normally introduce a new PU at Canada is b/c these PUs are worn a bit and you need the power here. Conversively, if we had more ordinary circuits for this and next race, and Canada would be the 9th event, you'd see the manufacturers prefering to delay the second PU to Canada. Of course you can't endlessly delay the second PU introduction, but I think that is reasonable.
#AeroFrodo

djones
djones

I guess from Hamilton's point of view, at least he was cruising in Spain and Monaco. That must have saved a good percentage of 'maximum power' allocation.

dans79

IF i had to guess, I'd bet they found a QA issue during assembly of the units. The announcement seems far to late to be an issue found on the test bench.

Tinfoil time:
Since Ferrari's "Dual" ES was deemed legal, they are implementing one themselves, as they see a benefit.
197 104 103 7

Big Mangalhit

turbof1 wrote:
07 Jun 2018, 16:11

However, you can just the future FP mileage of the old PU earlier for the race mileage, using the new PU for the substracted FP time because you saved mileage on it by introducing it one race later? It just means you have to reshuffle a bit, but eventually you can get back to the same planned mileage on each PU before introducing the 3th. The reason why you they normally introduce a new PU at Canada is b/c these PUs are worn a bit and you need the power here. Conversively, if we had more ordinary circuits for this and next race, and Canada would be the 9th event, you'd see the manufacturers prefering to delay the second PU to Canada. Of course you can't endlessly delay the second PU introduction, but I think that is reasonable.
I'm so sorry but I can't quite understand with you wrote in the beginning.

I partly agree with you about changing in the power hungry circuits (next cycle probably at SPA) especially cause they can introduce a new one sooner and the rotate and older one for slower circuits. I do disagree they would delay the introduction of the SECOND PU. Just because the first PU is very especial cause it HAS to do all the mileage of all the FP whilst any other PU you introduce generally has an older version (2nd PU you can use 1st; 3rd you can use 2nd...). So even though I think you can easily postpone the introduction of other PU's the first change optimally needs to be a bit sooner than the average

Big Mangalhit

dans79 wrote:
07 Jun 2018, 16:23
IF i had to guess, I'd bet they found a QA issue during assembly of the units. The announcement seems far to late to be an issue found on the test bench.

Tinfoil time:
Since Ferrari's "Dual" ES was deemed legal, they are implementing one themselves, as they see a benefit.
The ES is quite independent of the PU no? they usually rotate them around especially this year with only two ES allowed.

Big Tea

Until they introduced the first unit, they had no 'real world' knowledge of its life. Could the 'issue' actually be that it is far better than they had estimated?

If nothing is coming to the end of its usable life, and the power drop off is less than they had estimated, having an extra event on the engine gives them all sorts of flexibility, including maybe extending the next change into a further development period? There is also the chance the engine could be damaged during an accident, so having a spare weekend or two in their pocked could be a bonus there too.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

dans79

Big Mangalhit wrote:
07 Jun 2018, 16:34
dans79 wrote:

Tinfoil time:
The ES is quite independent of the PU no? they usually rotate them around especially this year with only two ES allowed.
but you would most likely need some kind of changes to the PU to take advantage of changes to the ES.
197 104 103 7

Juzh

turbof1 wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
The real talking point here is that Mercedes are confident enough that the PU1 units will all be able to do an extra event over and above the expected "life" of the units.
It actually isn't. Most of the components have to do 7 race weekends, some components 10.5 race weekends, which means this PU would have been reused anyway, probably allocated to FP1 and FP2, possibly even FP3 of the next 7 race weekends.
FP3 is pushing it too far. Unless there's an imminent failure or crash, no one will change engines after fp3. They all do it on friday night/sunday morining before fp3.

turbof1

Juzh wrote:
07 Jun 2018, 17:44
turbof1 wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:
It actually isn't. Most of the components have to do 7 race weekends, some components 10.5 race weekends, which means this PU would have been reused anyway, probably allocated to FP1 and FP2, possibly even FP3 of the next 7 race weekends.
FP3 is pushing it too far. Unless there's an imminent failure or crash, no one will change engines after fp3. They all do it on friday night/sunday morining before fp3.
Probably pushing that too far indeed :mrgreen: .
#AeroFrodo

kptaylor
kptaylor

So if one of the Merc or customer cars suffers an off and loses an engine or component, what will they be replaced with? Older spec or newer QA-issue spec?

notsofast
notsofast

If cost savings is the only reason for engine restrictions, then Mercedes ought to be able to just take Sirotkin's engine and put it in Hamilton's car. That engine has a lot fewer miles on it.

LM10
LM10

dans79 wrote:

Tinfoil time:
Is it that easy to kind of spontaneously change the ES philosophy mid-season? Ferrari has been following this path since 2014.

djones
djones

Not sure how true it is, but apparently the Merc engines already got to Canada and were then sent back again.

I think it was also called a "quality" issue. So I dunno... it suggests to be a manufacturing problem rather than design flaw.

MtthsMlw

djones wrote:
07 Jun 2018, 19:56
Not sure how true it is, but apparently the Merc engines already got to Canada and were then sent back again.

I think it was also called a "quality" issue. So I dunno... it suggests to be a manufacturing problem rather than design flaw.
AMuS reports that during inspection they found a 0.02mm inaccuracy on the crankcase.

Edit: report updated 0.2 mm -> 0.02mm
Last edited by MtthsMlw on 07 Jun 2018, 21:53, edited 2 times in total.

dans79

MtthsMlw wrote:
07 Jun 2018, 20:54
AMuS reports that during inspection they found a 0.2mm inaccuracy on the crankcase.
I find that hard to believe. I can easily maintain that all day every day in my garage machine shop. If it's true several people need a pink slip.
197 104 103 7