The curious case of Sebastian Vettel

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
GPR-A

Re: The curious case of Sebastian Vettel

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 13:48
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsp ... 743308.stm

This accident changed Webber, he was never as good after it, as he was before, and even still on some days he soundly beat Vettel, even on one of those rare error free days for Vettel. Webber was always at a disadvantage as he was one of the bigger, heavier drivers, while Vettel was one of the lightest. Webber was never a true test for Vettel, so in actuality we have no way of knowing just how fast Vettel really ever was. Vettel may not have slowed down, he may have just never been that fast.

I have no doubt that Webber after that bicycle accident vs Vettel, was not the same caliber as the Webber who outpaced young Rosberg regularly.
Schumacher broke his leg too in 1999, but he came back to his best and did everything he did. A F1 driver's physical and mental fitness is too strong to be affected by small accidents. Webber would have jolted more in that Valencia accident than breaking a leg. Concussions are for more impactful than any other physical injuries. Webber himself never made that an excuse on these grounds.

Look at Marc Marquez. The guy kept dislocating his shoulder, but still a monster on the bike.
Last edited by GPR-A on 02 Oct 2019, 14:58, edited 1 time in total.

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

GPR -A wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 14:43
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 13:48
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsp ... 743308.stm

This accident changed Webber, he was never as good after it, as he was before, and even still on some days he soundly beat Vettel, even on one of those rare error free days for Vettel. Webber was always at a disadvantage as he was one of the bigger, heavier drivers, while Vettel was one of the lightest. Webber was never a true test for Vettel, so in actuality we have no way of knowing just how fast Vettel really ever was. Vettel may not have slowed down, he may have just never been that fast.

I have no doubt that Webber after that bicycle accident vs Vettel, was not the same caliber as the Webber who outpaced young Rosberg regularly.
Schumacher broke his leg too in 1999, but he came back to his best and did everything he did. A F1 driver's physical and mental fitness is too strong to be affected by small accidents. Webber would have jolted more in that Valencia accident than breaking a leg. Concussions are for more impactful than any other physical injuries. Webber himself never made that an excuse on thise grounds.

Look at Marc Marquez. The guy kept dislocating his shoulder, but still a monster on the bike.
Valid points, but Webber just never seemed the same after that accident. Didn't he have a botched surgery stemming from that accident, which they had to reperform the next winter break. I remember it being a long string of medical issues for him, it wasn't just a matter of a broken leg.

izzy
izzy

lh13 wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 13:03

No he wasn't, it's just that he lost more points because of himself than he lost because of the failures.

Now what exactly were You doing quoting me for something I was not even talking about?
i quoted you and you weren't even talking about it? that's terrible! :lol: but your 56 points invention is about equally grounded in reality so i'll leave you alone now :P

if Rosberg didn't have that fluke wdc he wouldn't look that great, to be compared with Seb, is my point. Half his wins came from Lewis' car problems. Now, well Seb was great with a blown diffuser, but he misses it.

ferkan
ferkan

Phil wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 07:08
As much as i like Vettel, i never thought he was as adaptable as some other drivers, i.e. Hamilton or Alonso. I used to put it down to “narrow operating window”. Give a driver like that the perfect car to his liking and he will perform extraordinary. To a certain degree, Button was just like that too. The only difference is Button had that car to hinself for a little more than half a season in 2009 - Vettel had it for most of his career at RedBull.

That car was so planted, the blown diffusor era just suited his style perfectly. Mean while, you would see drivers like Hamilton and Alonso seemingly over driving their cars to miraculously split or beat the dominant RedBulls to pole.

In 2014 for the first time, we saw Vettel driving a completely different car and his team mate beat him. I’d also argue that these last few years (2017 and beyond), the car was also not quite a perfect match for Vettels driving style, hence the overdriving and costly mistakes..

This is not to say that Vettel isnt an extraordinary driver when all the pieces fall into place. To me however, it is evident that he is not at one with the car he is driving now and he is facing a team mate who can just perform better with it. Give that Ferrari a more planted and stable rear, more downforce and Vettel will improve.
I'm wondering what you are basing this on? Because, IMO only 2014 could be argued as being "outline" year.

After 4 years of very dominant RBs, of RBs with much more DF then other competitors, he got into car that was - by design, more on a slippery side. This is because rule changes in 2014 made cars slower in corners, but faster in straights. You can actually make a case of Vettel not being 100% duo to rule changes, but not in 2015 onwards.

2015/2016 because he had enough time to get used to a new cars. 2017-2019 because these cars have more DF then ever. Him being outperformed by Leclerc, especially on one lap pace in this way, is extraordinary. He still has strong race pace and knows how to work the tires, but when team mate beats you 9-0 in last 9 rounds with 0.4+ seconds on average...that is way to much to be ignored.

Wynters
Wynters

Jolle wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 14:42
He believes he’s right, even when he’s not.
Believing he's right, even when he's not, is far from unique to Vettel.

lh13
lh13

izzy wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 15:26
lh13 wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 13:03

No he wasn't, it's just that he lost more points because of himself than he lost because of the failures.

Now what exactly were You doing quoting me for something I was not even talking about?
i quoted you and you weren't even talking about it? that's terrible! :lol: but your 56 points invention is about equally grounded in reality so i'll leave you alone now :P

if Rosberg didn't have that fluke wdc he wouldn't look that great, to be compared with Seb, is my point. Half his wins came from Lewis' car problems. Now, well Seb was great with a blown diffuser, but he misses it.
Yup, as terrible as your comprehension.

I gave you details of where he lost points and how, keep making smily faces as that is all people can do instead of putting a better argument.

I never said anything about Rosberg being better than Seb, get that through your thick skull. That was out of your sh***y imagination, so better start thinking with your brain, or get one.

lh13
lh13

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 13:56
lh13 wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 08:40

1. All of that is true, but, in China, Lewis also tangled with a back-marker (he could have easily avoided that by being cautious during the first lap), had he avoided that, could have won the championship, event with all the failures, so it is still not black and white. And, the person I quoted, said there were two main reasons for Rosberg winning the title, and my response was intended for that post.

2. He lost ~56 points because of bad start and mistakes, which is more than what he lost because of reliability, so he wasn't perfect during 2016, and him winning the championship wasn't certain.
#1 is patently false. That was the famous "you came in like a torpedo race" where Kimi half spun, Vettel hit him, Kimi went off track and then rejoined unsafely which caused a car to swerve to avoid him, that swerving car went into Hamilton who was starting from the back because of PU failure. That was in no way Hamilton's fault.
I never said it was his fault, but he could have done better knowing that he was starting from last, among not-so-good drivers, and could have been more cautious.

Jolle
Jolle

Wynters wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 16:12
Jolle wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 14:42
He believes he’s right, even when he’s not.
Believing he's right, even when he's not, is far from unique to Vettel.
True, but in Vettel's case it goes beyond the normal "top dog ego" from other sportmen. You can only really improve if you work on your weaknesses and mistakes. Although many not-fans of certain drivers don't want to see it, but especially Hamilton, Leclerc and Verstappen are (in most cases) pretty honest about their own driving and mistakes.

It doesn't mean that they won't make the same mistakes again, but they are improving a lot. Hamilton doesn't crash in a "I make everything up on the first two corners" anymore (imo his weak point for several years), Verstappen limits his crashing into Raikkonen for once a year and I don't think we'll see Leclerc forcing his way through a crowded Monaco again.

Manoah2u
Manoah2u

Total to the contrary i've seen Vettel after the race in Silverstone where he rear ended Verstappen and laid blame with himself.
Explaining his view of the crash to the media, Vettel said: “I thought the inside will open up, [but] it didn’t open up. It looked for a second as though he was pulling to the middle of the track, but then he stayed left and then I was too close and couldn’t avoid the crash.”

When asked for his view of the penalty he’d received, Vettel said: “It’s fine, it was my mistake.”
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Jolle
Jolle

Manoah2u wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 18:27
Total to the contrary i've seen Vettel after the race in Silverstone where he rear ended Verstappen and laid blame with himself.
Explaining his view of the crash to the media, Vettel said: “I thought the inside will open up, [but] it didn’t open up. It looked for a second as though he was pulling to the middle of the track, but then he stayed left and then I was too close and couldn’t avoid the crash.”

When asked for his view of the penalty he’d received, Vettel said: “It’s fine, it was my mistake.”
True, and that was so out of character that I even commented on it. But general he blames everything, everybody and does what he wants. I wonder if someone at Ferris will sit him down after Sunday and tell him that he was wrong to go against team orders or if they will keep working around it.

Phil

ferkan wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 15:37
Phil wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 07:08
As much as i like Vettel, i never thought he was as adaptable as some other drivers, i.e. Hamilton or Alonso. I used to put it down to “narrow operating window”. Give a driver like that the perfect car to his liking and he will perform extraordinary. To a certain degree, Button was just like that too. The only difference is Button had that car to hinself for a little more than half a season in 2009 - Vettel had it for most of his career at RedBull.

That car was so planted, the blown diffusor era just suited his style perfectly. Mean while, you would see drivers like Hamilton and Alonso seemingly over driving their cars to miraculously split or beat the dominant RedBulls to pole.

In 2014 for the first time, we saw Vettel driving a completely different car and his team mate beat him. I’d also argue that these last few years (2017 and beyond), the car was also not quite a perfect match for Vettels driving style, hence the overdriving and costly mistakes..

This is not to say that Vettel isnt an extraordinary driver when all the pieces fall into place. To me however, it is evident that he is not at one with the car he is driving now and he is facing a team mate who can just perform better with it. Give that Ferrari a more planted and stable rear, more downforce and Vettel will improve.
I'm wondering what you are basing this on? Because, IMO only 2014 could be argued as being "outline" year.

After 4 years of very dominant RBs, of RBs with much more DF then other competitors, he got into car that was - by design, more on a slippery side. This is because rule changes in 2014 made cars slower in corners, but faster in straights. You can actually make a case of Vettel not being 100% duo to rule changes, but not in 2015 onwards.

2015/2016 because he had enough time to get used to a new cars. 2017-2019 because these cars have more DF then ever. Him being outperformed by Leclerc, especially on one lap pace in this way, is extraordinary. He still has strong race pace and knows how to work the tires, but when team mate beats you 9-0 in last 9 rounds with 0.4+ seconds on average...that is way to much to be ignored.
You are right, the recent cars have more downforce than ever - however i think Vettels ‘inability’ to extract the most from the car stems more from balance and how balanced the rears are. If you are lacking the confidence because the car is instable in how you drive it, it’s always going to be an uphill battle to get close to the cars ultimate limit.

To a certain point, the Ferrari this year is exactly rather instable at the rear, something Vettel has noted in interviews when saying that he isnt feeling one with the car.

This is where i think some drivers are just better at driving around problems and excelling in particular difficult circumstances (i.e. rain).

I also think that Vettel perhaps didnt quite show the true pace of the car in the last few years - neither did Kimi. Just imagine it this year: if Kimi were still driving that second car, we would probably be applauding Vettel for performing “miracles”. Yet because we can see what Leclerc can do with it, we are having a very different perception and to a certain degree it is now also putting a question mark over his relative performances these last few years when teamed up with a clearly worse team-mate (sorry Kimi).

Again, not to say Vettel isnt a good driver. Given the right car, he might be the fastest. But i do think he has a “narrower comfort and performance zone” than some other drivers. But this is something i think that can be overcome, with experiencd, adaptability and growth.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

lh13 wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 16:54
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 13:56
lh13 wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 08:40

1. All of that is true, but, in China, Lewis also tangled with a back-marker (he could have easily avoided that by being cautious during the first lap), had he avoided that, could have won the championship, event with all the failures, so it is still not black and white. And, the person I quoted, said there were two main reasons for Rosberg winning the title, and my response was intended for that post.

2. He lost ~56 points because of bad start and mistakes, which is more than what he lost because of reliability, so he wasn't perfect during 2016, and him winning the championship wasn't certain.
#1 is patently false. That was the famous "you came in like a torpedo race" where Kimi half spun, Vettel hit him, Kimi went off track and then rejoined unsafely which caused a car to swerve to avoid him, that swerving car went into Hamilton who was starting from the back because of PU failure. That was in no way Hamilton's fault.
I never said it was his fault, but he could have done better knowing that he was starting from last, among not-so-good drivers, and could have been more cautious.
Kimi(who started at least 15 places ahead)rejoined the track unsafely after sponning, Nasr swerved to avoid him and into the side of HAM, it had nothing to do with "not-so-good" drivers. He was plenty cautious, you are just repeating nonsense. HAM was in 2nd in Bahrain and was hit from behind by BOT on the start, should HAM have been more cautious then too? Your entire argument is false.

lh13
lh13

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
02 Oct 2019, 22:05
Kimi(who started at least 15 places ahead)rejoined the track unsafely after sponning, Nasr swerved to avoid him and into the side of HAM, it had nothing to do with "not-so-good" drivers. He was plenty cautious, you are just repeating nonsense. HAM was in 2nd in Bahrain and was hit from behind by BOT on the start, should HAM have been more cautious then too? Your entire argument is false.
Do some research before calling others' arguments non-sense. Ham was on pole, got a bad start, and that was the reason he was in the position to be hit by Bottas in the first place. Had he had a normal start, this would not have happened.

And in China, he could have dropped back at the start, knowing that he would be fighting for championship all year, unlike the drivers he was starting around, or better yet, could have started from pitlane, but that must have been the team decision so yeah, he could have easily dropped back at the start knowing the complexity of turn 1-2 complex of China and anticipating some carnage.

NathanOlder

lh13 wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 08:11
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
Do some research before calling others' arguments non-sense. Ham was on pole, got a bad start, and that was the reason he was in the position to be hit by Bottas in the first place. Had he had a normal start, this would not have happened.

And in China, he could have dropped back at the start, knowing that he would be fighting for championship all year, unlike the drivers he was starting around, or better yet, could have started from pitlane, but that must have been the team decision so yeah, he could have easily dropped back at the start knowing the complexity of turn 1-2 complex of China and anticipating some carnage.
Your comments on Hamilton in China were total trash, so please do some research too buddy.

If Hamilton drove how you said he should in China, he would have needed to wait behind the pack right round to the end of the first sector (thats turn 6 to save you looking it up)
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Zarathustra

NathanOlder wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 11:19
lh13 wrote:
03 Oct 2019, 08:11
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
HAM was in 2nd..
Ham was on pole..
If Hamilton drove how ..
:roll:
I thought this topic was about 'the curious case of Sebastian Vettel'.