My F1 car - LegendaryM

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
wesley123
wesley123

Re: My F1 car

yep it is true, but the single keel will disrupt the airflow under the tub, wich still has to be clean. A big splitter over there withoutt he keel would simply keep better airflow as the air flowing there will move all the way donw the sidepods to the diffuser, where it does generate some downforce. If you wanna keep the arms at the same height, you rather make a twin keel so those walls used for the keels cna move some air too.

Clean airflow is always better for a car, the keel itself and the wishbones will only disrupt the airflow over there, it might not generate downforce, but it is still usefull for the rear end.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

I was thinking that with the zero keel the air flow is so pure, that shurly the V keel could be used somehow to generate downforce.

Im surprised that many teams havnt tried to develop something likt that!!!

wesley123
wesley123

there can be generated downforce from it, but it wpuldnt be efficient and it would create more drag then downforce.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

LegendaryM

I have made a few updates while i have been on holiday, all regarding the front of the car:
New wing mirror supports, very similar to brawns:

A slightly revised front wing endplate with a hole similar to toyota and renault:

A completely new front wing. The lower plane has 3 elements and the upper plane has 2 large elements. The upper plane is connected to the nose by the placing of a camera housing in a similar place to redbull's new nose.

Also the vertical supports between the nose and the front wing have been made similar to ferrari's so the don't interfere with the flow from the camera housing

Finally I have modified the nose to make it wider and shorter, so it is similar to brawn's. I have also added red bull style humps on the nose
MRVC: Tolo Racing

Conceptual
Conceptual

I would very much like to see some actual renders of this model, especially with some color!

Good work so far. It looks as if it is all made from solids instead of planes however, so it probably won't translate into any type of CFD, right?

Shrek
Shrek

what does the hole in the endplate do?
Spencer

machin

A completely new front wing. The lower plane has 3 elements and the upper plane has 2 large elements. The upper plane is connected to the nose by the placing of a camera housing in a similar place to redbull's new nose.
I think the body has to be fully defined before the placement of cameras so I don't think this would be allowed.. plus the camera housing would need to be very long to fill the gap within the "exclusion zone" where only the FIA mandated aerofoil section is allowed....

...The car is looking better and better though! Keep it up!
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

LegendaryM

Quite a large update - completely new sidepods, similar to brawns and a revised lower rear wing element

@machin - ill post and image of the front wing without the camera housing, so you can see where it fits in, also if you look at redbull's nose the camera extends quite far out

EDIT:

NormalChris
NormalChris

wow looks really good. Do you have an estimate of about how much time youve spent on this so far?

LegendaryM

NormalChris wrote:wow looks really good. Do you have an estimate of about how much time youve spent on this so far?
I dont have an exact figure, but I have been working on it for years on and off.

Small update: Some vertical fins added to the central 500mm part of the diffuser to direct the air to the central 150mm

LegendaryM

A few small updates;

A revised front wing endplate:

An extra turning vane on the sidepod

A turning vane just below the airbox inlet

Revised diffusers inlets, so it is similar to redbulls and toyotas

A brand new engine cover, with a shark fin which joins onto the rear wing

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Youre pace of development is just crazy, if you were in a F1 team, id say that youd be about a good thre-quaters to four fiths of the way thrugh the R&D cost now.

Callum

@legendaryM... Can we have a zoomed out view of the current car with all the updates??

LegendaryM

Sorry i haven't posted for a while, I've been quite busy with school work and stuff, but I have still done quite a lot of updates since i last posted;

1. A heavily changed front wing endplate with a hole in, similar to williams' car, an extra turning vane and an updated connecting between the large turning vane and the upper element

2. A revised upper element which is deeper and more curved. Also a brand new nose which is higher, which means the camera housing is now at an angle.

3. The bargeboards now have a jagged edge to induce vortices, the end of the main turning vane is curved at the bottom to direct air around the outside of the front wheel, and I have reverted back to an older wing mirror mount.

4. Basically a brand new diffuser; the outer channels are curved to make a venturi channel, and the central channels droop down away from the centre line of the car, to increase the exit area but keep the central 75mm of the diffuser the same. Also I have added a toyota style vanes on the rear wing endplates to aid extraction from the large double deck diffuser

5. This image also shows the diffuser, however i have completely changed the rear crash structure so it is lower, and with that had to change the rear suspension aswell. This is so more air flows over the lower rear wing element

Shrek
Shrek

yay its back
Spencer