Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: Silly season 2021-2022-2023

Hoffman900 wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 18:50
mendis wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 09:38
FW17 wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 04:10
I wonder if Helmut Marko could sign a release with Chip Ganassi for Alex Palou starting September 11th to the end of the season.

Nyck de Vries just does not seem to click.

Liam Lawson will also be available

I was hoping Herta would get the points, but Andretti has dropped the ball yet again this year.
I don't follow much of Indycar, but how does one make a case for an Indycar driver to be an F1 driver? When there are ample examples of failed F1 drivers performing well in Indycar, it makes one wonder if an Indycar driver has what it takes to be a successful F1 driver? Unless a driver was a hotshot in GP3 and GP2 and then couldn't make it to F1 for some reason, moved to Indycar is making waves, it's understandable.
There are a handful of Indy Car drivers who are talented enough, they just didn’t have as big of a sugar daddy as some F1 drivers do
One needs really to get involved in the Formulae early on too. So doing the progression via F4 - F2, ideally. That gets you noticed by the teams. Of course, a superstar can move from Indy to F1 but it's going to need a lot of work to sell it to teams that have plenty of options in front of them.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Zynerji

I'm open to unlimited year-old chassis testing for the teams if they use non F1-drivers.

I can't believe that Netflix doesn't comission 10 2008 McLarens running 2013 Mercedes engines on synth-fuel for some kind of spec drama series... We could see lots of talent then.

JordanMugen

Hoffman900 wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 18:50
There are a handful of Indy Car drivers who are talented enough, they just didn’t have as big of a sugar daddy as some F1 drivers do
Maybe. The Andretti, Zanardi (albeit originally ex-F1), Da Matta and Bourdais cases sadly put teams off.

If a multiple CART/Champcar champion like Bourdais isn't the next Sebastian Vettel in parallel let alone the next Verstappen, and multi-champion Da Matta barely better than Olivier Panis if at all, the teams are obviously concerned of the likelihood of finding a Tier 1 driver from Indycar.

Obviously ex-Indycar drivers without backing are not going to be taking any of the pay driver F1 places, but rather the 'talent' places that go to the likes of Piastri on the basis that Piastri might be a tier 1 or at least tier 1B driver.

The Indy Lights/NXT series is not that competitive compared to Formula 2, so many of the Indycar rookies coming from Formula 2 will be drivers who have already been passed over by Formula 1 teams while the rookies from the American junior series are not that highly regarded by F1 teams due to that lower level and lack of relevant circuits and tyres (yes, F2 is a much more expensive series than Indy Lights and is a rort to extract money with the organisers having successfully killed off cheaper rival Formula Renault 3.5 V8 with the superlicense points allocation, but oh well).

You can appreciate it is a huge risk for Red Bull to simply assume Palou or Herta is better than Perez (or indeed at the same level as Verstappen or better than Verstappen) and put them directly into Red Bull Racing, hence Red Bull wanting to place them first at AlphaTauri for evaluation. Not only did their past pick Bourdais not progress beyond Toro Rosso, he wasn't picked up by any other F1 teams either after all...

mendis wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 09:38
When there are ample examples of failed F1 drivers performing well in Indycar, it makes one wonder if an Indycar driver has what it takes to be a successful F1 driver?
Even the best performing ex-Indycar/Champcar drivers in recent years (Jacques Villeneuve, Juan Pablo Montoyta) were not exactly the next Michael Schumacher, 7xWDC.

FW17 wrote:
19 Jun 2023, 12:02
Just that an Indycar champion would be further up the development curve in both mental and racing development in comparison to an F2 winner.
It seemed more valuable for Verstappen to get to F1 ASAP and forget doing both F2 & Indycar before coming to F1 entirely. Yes, Montoyta did both F3000 and Champcar before his F1 debut, but he didn't win a single WDC in the end (indeed his F1 career was unusually short, perhaps an F1 debut in '97 instead of doing F3000 would have given Montoyta a longer F1 career?).

Indeed, would Montoyta have done better if he had gone directly from Formula Ford or Formula Renault to Formula 1 like Button and Raikkonen respectively? :shock: :o

The evidence tends to suggest that drivers who skipped F2 like Button, Raikkonen and Verstappen did better. Speed of getting to F1 being of the essence, it seems. The best, most efficient learning for a young driver about F1 can, it seems, be done in F1. Before Hamilton, not a single F3000 champion had ever won a F1 WDC if I recall correctly.

(Though I'm not familiar with the old 2L Formula 2 before the change to Formula 3000/GP2/modern F2 and if that was a more useful training ground for drivers.)

For their single non-pay-driver place it would be quite the risk for Williams to replace Albon with Palou IMO. Would Albon have really learnt more by going to Formula E (as planned) or Indycar before F1 and delaying his F1 debut?! :wtf: Many years of Formula E training does not seem to have done De Vries all that much good, if at all...

raymondu999

Just_a_fan wrote:
02 Jun 2023, 10:24
raymondu999 wrote:
02 Jun 2023, 09:17
dans79 wrote:
25 May 2023, 22:20

Sadly that seems to be what the vast majority of F1 related journalism is now!
I think that there is sadly, or worryingly, a possibility that the rumors are true but Fred also being honest -- that perhaps upper board management has indeed approached Lewis, with no information being handed down to Fred about it.
I don't buy that at all. Lewis and Toto are quite clear that they are just thrashing out the stuff about media involvement and PR stuff in Lewis's contract. The big ticket stuff has already been agreed.
I don’t think we’re arguing on the same topic. I’m not saying Lewis wants to move. We are discussing (as per my quoted post) whether or not Ferrari made Lewis an offer — which is not the same
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

raymondu999 wrote:
21 Jun 2023, 15:39
Just_a_fan wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:
02 Jun 2023, 09:17

I think that there is sadly, or worryingly, a possibility that the rumors are true but Fred also being honest -- that perhaps upper board management has indeed approached Lewis, with no information being handed down to Fred about it.
I don't buy that at all. Lewis and Toto are quite clear that they are just thrashing out the stuff about media involvement and PR stuff in Lewis's contract. The big ticket stuff has already been agreed.
I don’t think we’re arguing on the same topic. I’m not saying Lewis wants to move. We are discussing (as per my quoted post) whether or not Ferrari made Lewis an offer — which is not the same
So it's in to conspiracy theory stuff, is it? Someone high up tried to poach Lewis and didn't tell the team they were doing it? Yeah, that's as likely as me getting the call to take Leclerc's seat. :roll: :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

mendis
mendis

Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Jun 2023, 16:54
raymondu999 wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

So it's in to conspiracy theory stuff, is it? Someone high up tried to poach Lewis and didn't tell the team they were doing it? Yeah, that's as likely as me getting the call to take Leclerc's seat. :roll: :lol:
What would you do with his used seat? :lol:

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Jun 2023, 16:54
raymondu999 wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

Are you not familiar with how things work at Ferrari?

mendis
mendis

Rumors are more or less certain that Ricciardo would be driving for AT next year.

Stu

That seems a strange move (for him), but a good move for the team.

Now for a super-silly idea…
Tsunoda being very much a Honda appointment, will he move to AMR for the 2026 season? If he does, where does Alonso go (assuming that he he doesn’t retire)?
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

TimW
TimW

I don't see a direct move to a seat at a top team happening anymore for Ricciardo. And if he has to prove himself in another team first, Alpha Tauri -Red Bull seems by far the easiest / most straightforward path to a top seat . To the fastest car of the grid as well...

So from Ricciardo's point of view it makes perfect sense (once he has accepted that a direct move to a top seat is not on the table)

chrisc90

Maybe the AT seat is just a stepping stone to get him used to the cars, back racing each weekend before replacing Perez at RB IF he decides not to continue after 2024.

djos

chrisc90 wrote:
25 Jun 2023, 23:39
Maybe the AT seat is just a stepping stone to get him used to the cars, back racing each weekend before replacing Perez at RB IF he decides not to continue after 2024.
Perez needs to lift his game and stop having bad weekends, if he keeps them up I’d be shocked if Daniel didn’t take his seat for 24, or even earlier.
"In downforce we trust"

Zynerji

If Ricciardo is putting in great quali and race performances in the sim, and RBR have high correlation, it would be tough to not give him a go.

I imagine it would start like Ric doing FP1 in Perez car. If Ric is within 2 tenths of Max, he just stays for the weekend...

djos

Zynerji wrote:
26 Jun 2023, 01:36
If Ricciardo is putting in great quali and race performances in the sim, and RBR have high correlation, it would be tough to not give him a go.

I imagine it would start like Ric doing FP1 in Perez car. If Ric is within 2 tenths of Max, he just stays for the weekend...
Sounds plausible. At least RBR know that Daniel is consistent and rarely ever had a bad form weekend when driving for them in the past.
"In downforce we trust"

Zynerji

djos wrote:
26 Jun 2023, 01:39
Zynerji wrote:
26 Jun 2023, 01:36

Sounds plausible. At least RBR know that Daniel is consistent and rarely ever had a bad form weekend when driving for them in the past.
Oh, I think he's laser focused and smells Perez's blood in the water...👀