Current downforce levels?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Pierce89

Re: Current downforce levels?

godlameroso wrote:What about the Peugeot 905, that car was 750kg, and had an F1 engine, and it was still slower. I guess the tires, and the efficiency of the aero plus the better chassis manufacturing allow for an easier car to drive on the limit, relatively speaking. I'm sure it's very difficult to drive an F1 car, let alone one of those old school prototypes.
old school prototypes are EASY to drive. I haven't but my father races historics and has driven a 962 twice and a XJR-14 once. He said the 962 was super easy to drive because the aero CoP is very rearward giving a nice benign understeer as the basic handling mode. He also said the xjr-14 had much less power(they had swapped to the F1 motors in 92) but handled much more quickly and had a more normal handling balance. It's also lighter with more downforce than the 962. Neither is on the same planet as a modern F1 car.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: Current downforce levels?

In fairness, the sports prototypes couldn't be as "live wire" as an F1 car because they had to be driven for much longer by the drivers. I doubt Alonso, Hamilton et al would be any good in an F1 car after being all but awake for 24 hours and then driving in the dark with a bit of rain and just headlights to see by...

Horses for courses...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.