Advantages of pushrod suspension

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
GSpeedR
GSpeedR

Re: Advantages of pushrod suspension

Yes you can minimize compliance (or maximize installation stiffness) with a bell-crank setup, but adding components in series will increase your overall installation stiffness. I guess I don't need to be so picky. Anyway, weight, heat-dissipation, control of geometry, compliance, and damping control are all competing factors and most are likely to be disadvantages of a bell-crank setup for that application. I've never seen anything but direct mount for off-road vehicles (though I'd be curious to see otherwise).

riff_raff
riff_raff

Re: Advantages of pushrod suspension

nathauto wrote:Hi,I would like to know the advantages of pushrod suspension over conventional suspension system where shock absorber are installed between the spindle/wishbone and chassis
Other than aero or packaging concerns, there is not much benefit. Using a pushrod and rocker makes it convenient to package the dampeners, springs and roll bars, and produce variable rate geometries. But installing the spring and dampener in the conventional fashion can also actually be quite effective.
"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"