Ferrari F138 Model - Alonso Fan

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
ajdavison2
ajdavison2

Re: Ferrari F138 Model - Alonso Fan

Good work by the way, the rib cage is an interesting way to shape the sidepods. Any idea how you'll get an even coverage?

Alonso Fan

ajdavison2 wrote:Good work by the way, the rib cage is an interesting way to shape the sidepods. Any idea how you'll get an even coverage?
thanks

er... maybe by covering it with paper or card, something like that. i haven't really thought about it properly yet. i'll have to try a few things before i can get it right.

i'm going to make the engine cover in the same ribcage way, and then put the bodywork at the back on, which the suspension will mount onto, and then the back light, of course. Do you have any suggestions as to what i should use to stick the suspension to the body of the car?

(i'm using BBQ wooden skewers for the suspension itself, but i need a way to mount it to the body once it's finished)

i'm open to suggestions
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

kosioBG

Alonso Fan wrote:Do you have any suggestions as to what i should use to stick the suspension to the body of the car?

(i'm using BBQ wooden skewers for the suspension itself, but i need a way to mount it to the body once it's finished)

i'm open to suggestions
you can use moment express fix to glue them, i used it and it produces a properly strong bond, hope it helps

Alonso Fan

you can use moment express fix to glue them, i used it and it produces a properly strong bond, hope it helps
http://hybris.cms.henkel.com/medias/sys ... 998494.jpg

thanks, i'll try to get hold of it.

do you think that super glue or PVA glue will give a good bond, as i already have those?

and what did you use for the material of the actual suspension?
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

kosioBG

PVA is good when you glue large surfaces, but i don't think it will work for the suspension as there you must glue pieces with a tiny area. as for super glue, i'm not sure, it might work. and for the wishbones i used cotton buds with removed cotton and covered with a layer of printed carbon fibre and varnish.

kosioBG

wait i just noticed on your pic of the back of the car that the difuser extends too further back fron the wheel line, why is that?
i mean if that's the floor: IGNORE the ***
****[------] <- floor
****[------]
{--} [ __] {--} <- where difuser should be
***** +++ <- where it actually is

Alonso Fan

kosioBG wrote:wait i just noticed on your pic of the back of the car that the difuser extends too further back fron the wheel line, why is that?
i mean if that's the floor: IGNORE the ***
****[------] <- floor
****[------]
{--} [ __] {--} <- where difuser should be
***** +++ <- where it actually is
yeah, thanks for pointing it out. i noticed too, and i've already fixed it, i'll post more pics as soon as possible

and, btw, wouldn't varnish damage the painted card suface?
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

kosioBG

Alonso Fan wrote: and, btw, wouldn't varnish damage the painted card suface?
no i don't think so but to be sure, make a test first- tha same card, paint and varnish on a small separate piece

Alonso Fan

kosioBG wrote:
Alonso Fan wrote: and, btw, wouldn't varnish damage the painted card suface?
no i don't think so but to be sure, make a test first- tha same card, paint and varnish on a small separate piece
ok, i will do. Thanks for the tip
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

kosioBG

one more thing: your cockpit ends vertically at the front, and actually it goes towards the front into the nose, like this:
What you've done is you've put a vertical piece of card where number 4 is. you should remove it, and when you build the front end of the monocoque place a smaller one there. if you want, you can also add the pedal arrangement, but personally i didn't because it's impossible to see. another pic from my F138 to illustrate what i mean:
hope this helps

Alonso Fan

kosioBG wrote:one more thing: your cockpit ends vertically at the front, and actually it goes towards the front into the nose, like this:
http://www.f1pulse.com/UserFiles/Image/ ... sights.jpg
What you've done is you've put a vertical piece of card where number 4 is. you should remove it, and when you build the front end of the monocoque place a smaller one there. if you want, you can also add the pedal arrangement, but personally i didn't because it's impossible to see. another pic from my F138 to illustrate what i mean:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-diQv ... G_4564.JPG
hope this helps
yep, thanks for the spot! i see what you mean
i actually only placed it there for support, and i was planning to leave it there, but i suppose you don't really need support there anyway because of the surrounding bodywork etc. i'll see what i can do when i come to making the bodywork for the nose etc, and then i'll sort it out.

thanks for pointing it out!

btw, does the f138 have a windscreen? (like the f10)

SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Alonso Fan

here's a few more pics of the car
it's starting to take shape now
the diffuser has been moved forward, and the cockpit will be adjusted soon.
i plan on continuing the ribcage design from the bodywork up the engine cover to give its distinct shape.
i've also added the gearbox/drive shaft bodywork at the rear of the car, and the LED rear light.

a close up of the rear of the car, with the moved forward and incomplete diffuser

here is the completed diffuser and there is an extra piece of bodywork which comes from the engine cover to meet the place where the rear light swoops down. this creates a sort of step, which will allow me to attach the rear suspension easily.

here the step is more visible

SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

kosioBG

there is a TINY windscreen:
but really it's insignificant
btw your reworked difuser is quite steep? and just another question- how are you planning to make the airbox?

Alonso Fan

kosioBG wrote:there is a TINY windscreen:
http://i.imgur.com/if4Om1y.jpg
but really it's insignificant
btw your reworked difuser is quite steep? and just another question- how are you planning to make the airbox?
i know, it is quite steep. i couldn't do it any other way, it would wreck the whole rear end if i tried amending it now. it looks ok from the back, i don't think its that steep. thanks for the pic, where do you guys get the pics from? they're so detailed. i spent ages looking for pics which could show me a windscreen, but i couldn't find one. thanks, that really helps with the steering wheel assembly as well.

the air box? i'm planning the same rib cage design, but i'll make an independent one for the inlet and join it on the the ribs that will be present behind it. it's hard to explain, but you'll get what i mean when i do it. then, i'll simply get rid of the card in the middle of the airbox inlet, so you won't be able to see a sort of splitter in the middle of the airbox.

just ignore me if it doesn't make sense. i'm pretty bad at explaining things! :wink:
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Alonso Fan

by the way, if you are wondering, i'm aiming to improve on my previous model of the Ferrari F10 which was a total disaster. i was only 13 then, and i had no idea of what technicality was. i had a bit of perception of updates but that's about it. the papier mache is so bumpy, its unreal.

so, the rubbishist F1 car that has ever been displayed on F1 Technical...

...here goes nothing...

excuse the bad image quality, and the fact that the tires don't have bridgestone logos on, and that the suspension is way too thick, and the fact that the side mirror is about to fall off...

your f138 is miles better than this :D
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord