2014 season - Ugliest noses ever?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Shrieker

Re: 2014 season - Ugliest noses ever?

f1316 wrote: Let's not also forget that Williams changed their car that year to move away from this concept, so it clearly didn't work as they had expected.
It should be kept in mind that back then they weren't constrained about the nose hight like current teams will be next season. Exhaust blowing is gone, beam wing is gone, rear wing profile will have to be shallower; all this stipulates a focus on the back end/diffuser section downforce and having a higher nose allows more air to work the underside of the car.

Given the above, there should be no doubt teams will opt for solutions that allow more air under the nose/front bulkhead section - which will more than likely result in short and stubby noses with front wing pylons reaching forwards. Enter, the walrus.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

SiLo

Given the above, worried about Red Bull as they seem to work their diffuser better than anyone (speculative)

I prefer the lower noses, the just look nicer to me, what I don't understand is why teams use two pylons, do they have to? Can they not get the same strength from one? I don't know how the aerodynamics would be affected by having one pylon instead of two.
Felipe Baby!

krisfx
krisfx

SiLo wrote:Given the above, worried about Red Bull as they seem to work their diffuser better than anyone (speculative)

I prefer the lower noses, the just look nicer to me, what I don't understand is why teams use two pylons, do they have to? Can they not get the same strength from one? I don't know how the aerodynamics would be affected by having one pylon instead of two.
A single pylon has been done before. I don't think it was that great. I can't tenner which team it was but they weren't great.

beelsebob
beelsebob

krisfx wrote:
SiLo wrote:Given the above, worried about Red Bull as they seem to work their diffuser better than anyone (speculative)

A single pylon has been done before. I don't think it was that great. I can't tenner which team it was but they weren't great.
It was Beneton, and they won the championship with it.

Shrieker

I'm pretty sure both the b194 and 195 had raised noses with dual front wing pylons. Am i missing something here ?
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Sevach
Sevach

krisfx wrote:
The 97 Tyrrell i think, the pylon was very thick as thick as early 90's Williams nose.
The 96 Ferrari was also similar halfway between raised nose and low nose.

krisfx
krisfx

beelsebob wrote:
krisfx wrote:

It was Beneton, and they won the championship with it.

Yeah it was the 97 Tyrell, I've not seen the Benetton with a single pylon nose...

SectorOne

"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

flattyre
flattyre

I'm sure that I saw a similar solution on the 1991 Arrows, although I'm not sure if it was for the same intentions.

Yes, just found a picture, it was:

f1316
f1316

Brundle just tweeted that two teams have told him the noses will be ugly...

FrukostScones

http://grandprix247.com/2013/10/11/newe ... rix+247%29

names of 2014 Noses so far:
1. Force India: ugly thin banana
2. Mercedes: Bob's knob
3.Red Bull: hook
4. ....tba

who will have the ugliest?
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

krisfx
krisfx

I want them to look like this. I think the 2008 cars looked pretty win with the 2009 wings on them during testing!

FrukostScones

yeah krisfx, the Williams looke fine. But I think 2014 will look more like the Honda 2008 testing hybride!

FW17

FrukostScones wrote:yeah krisfx, the Williams looke fine. But I think 2014 will look more like the Honda 2008 testing hybride!

http://www.motorsport-magazin.com/image ... 171967.jpg
http://www.motorsport-magazin.com/image ... 171972.jpg
It is to be noted that the front wing is 75 mm above the reference, the honda nose looks a over 185 mm (nose tip almost in line with the front axle which would make the nose tip at around 240 mm above reference)

FrukostScones

WilliamsF1 wrote:
FrukostScones wrote:yeah krisfx, the Williams looke fine. But I think 2014 will look more like the Honda 2008 testing hybride!

http://www.motorsport-magazin.com/image ... 171967.jpg
http://www.motorsport-magazin.com/image ... 171972.jpg
It is to be noted that the front wing is 75 mm above the reference, the honda nose looks a over 185 mm
Yeah, it will be more inclined over its length :mrgreen: the Honda nose mixed with this thing is 100% 2014
medically inaccurate