A crisis meeting in the cards?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Re: A crisis meeting in the cards?

I don't know about the mojo, but the patience of some fans is at a premium.

Testing is now tight, and I wish the FIA allowed more time to sort the cars out. But everyone has the same problem, they all knew about it over a year in advance, and thus it is just another difficult technical issue to be resolved. Difficult decisions have to be made, priorities have to be mapped out, and the decisions in these next few days have a direct impact on the car's performance for the first few races, maybe the entire season. Because it pushes the boundaries of difficult technical decision-making, I appreciate the pressure cooker everyone is under.

For me personally, this is a wonderful time of the year, I spring out of bed early in the morning and rush to my computer to see what's happening.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

Maynard G. Krebs
Maynard G. Krebs

I think if I were a car designer I would try to make my car still be aero-good once the probiscus gets knocked off so I wouldn't have to pit for a new one.

CHT
CHT

DaveKillens wrote:I don't know about the mojo, but the patience of some fans is at a premium.

Testing is now tight, and I wish the FIA allowed more time to sort the cars out. But everyone has the same problem, they all knew about it over a year in advance, and thus it is just another difficult technical issue to be resolved. Difficult decisions have to be made, priorities have to be mapped out, and the decisions in these next few days have a direct impact on the car's performance for the first few races, maybe the entire season. Because it pushes the boundaries of difficult technical decision-making, I appreciate the pressure cooker everyone is under.

For me personally, this is a wonderful time of the year, I spring out of bed early in the morning and rush to my computer to see what's happening.
Looking at some of the front wing mounting so far, I think we are most likely going to see some spectacular FW failure later in the week. The 2014 F1 technical regulation is actually moving in the same direction as Boeing 787, but the difference is Boeing is not confined to any test restriction or dateline. This year, the has got to deal with ambitious fuel efficiency target as well as massive KERS unit, and not to mention the new aero restrictions.

I am not suggesting that teams will not turn up at Australia, but the team could end up running so conservatively due to reliability issue that they might end up lapping slower than GP2.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Technically (and this is a technical web site) this is a very exciting time. All the teams have come out with their baseline and preliminary designs. No doubt everyone is watching everyone very closely, and attempting to divine which is the better solution to their requirements, as well as generate a baseline reference for later testing. I am quite sure that almost all teams have more parts in the pipeline, and they will begin to appear as testing progresses.

I'm also quite sure the FIA have informed all teams that the Mercedes wing failure happened, and they would not appreciate if it happened to anyone else. Check your calculations, go back to the test rigs and verify that there will not be a repeat.

Busy, busy, busy, the lights will be on all night at all the team factories.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

Lycoming
Lycoming

CHT wrote:... but the difference is Boeing is not confined to any test restriction or dateline.
Not quite. Even Boeing can't keep hemorrhaging money indefinitely.
CHT wrote: I am not suggesting that teams will not turn up at Australia, but the team could end up running so conservatively due to reliability issue that they might end up lapping slower than GP2.
Then 107% rule kicks in and they won't lap at all.

Bazza
Bazza

Lycoming wrote:
CHT wrote: Then 107% rule kicks in and they won't lap at all.
Are you sure the 107% rule actually exists? There's been some mighty slow cars on track, ESPECIALLY DURING THE RACE, and I can't seem to recall any of the slowly moving chicanes being told to actually remove themselves from the race. Seems like it might as well be scribbled on the rule book in crayon to me.

Besides, wasn't actual race pace what triggered the 'GP2 is faster' comments at Barcelona last year?

WhiteBlue

My oh my! Ysterday went fully in line with expectations as far as prototypes are concerned. The cars this time are not evolutions of the nth degree of previous years and so we can fully expect bunches of fundamental bugs to be found in every sub system. Remember that they decided to test the new electronics and SECU last year because of exactly the problem they are facing now? And how we had electronic glitches even with a system that was completely known for almost a decade. Now we are dealing with a spanking new hyper complex system that nobody has any experience with. I think the teams did very well to come as far as Mercedes and Ferrari have come yesterday. The FiA should exactly do nothing, except investigating the Merc front wing failure. People with unrealistic expectations should keep their powder dry and not jump the gun and everything will be fine.

I do not expect slow cars. That has never happened before. The general experience is that the teams dupe the FiA in that game and the cars come out as fast or faster than they were the previous year. Even if they are a bit slower in testing and the first races the ground will be made up and more before the season ends. So hold your horses and enjoy the show. Btw. the new engines sound lovely in my view. Nice and throaty as they should with a nice turbo whistle on top for further entertainment. I did not like the banshee wail of the NA engines very much. This is more like my cup of tea.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Sombrero
Sombrero

I'm not surprised at all. But very soon (1-2 days of testing) it will be much better. Nothing is really significant before the first GP of the season especially this year with the new powertrains. But it's always nice to look (and hear) at the new cars...

CHT
CHT

After week 1, best time is 1.23.276, about 5 second slower than what Jenson did on the 1st day in a car that didnt even win a podium last year.

Totally agree with Bernie's view. It will be unthinkable if F1 end up quieter and slower than GP2 car this year.
Bernie Ecclestone has labelled this week's testing in Jerez "a farce" and blamed rule changes, many of which he has not supported, for a less than satisfactory four days.

"Look at the last few days. I said it was going to be like this … a total farce," he told the Daily Mail. "They [the FIA and the teams] insisted on these new engines. If they wanted to race like this they should go to Le Mans.

"They talk about saving fuel. They don't need these new engines to achieve that. They should get smaller motorhomes. Then they wouldn't need so many trucks going all round Europe. Mercedes are taking 23 trucks with them everywhere. If they really wanted to save fuel they should stop that.

"The whole thing with the new engines is totally absurd. People want noise - something special, that's what F1 is all about - and now we have quiet engines and nobody on the track."

Few would disagree that the changes are likely to result in some surprises early on in the season. Red Bull headed home from Spain with its tail between its collective legs, Daniel Ricciardo admitting: "Adrian [Newey] has gone back to the drawing board."

Ecclestone thought that was one good thing to come out of the changes. "The season could be extremely interesting … really unpredictable, and that is the exciting thing."

F1NAC

why ecclestone can't use some kind of veto against this silly rules by FIA

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Have to call BS on the "F1 needs to be loud" bit. I'm sure the turbo cars of the 80's were similarly attenuated. Though.. they could also turn it up to what, 1200+ hp in Q trim? Between that and proper 'E' compound GY qualifying tires - could turn some sporty lap times.

Come to think of it I think teams could buy / use whatever compound tire they wanted in those days. Make for some interesting strategy.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

SectorOne

CHT wrote:After week 1, best time is 1.23.276, about 5 second slower than what Jenson did on the 1st day in a car that didnt even win a podium last year.
That´s only half the story. First you have new engines, nobody is pushing anything.
On top of that you had Button running an "illegal" car which was what produced this impressive laptime according to Massa.

Wait until Australia Q3. Then we´ll know exactly how much slower the cars are and if a GP2 car can keep up with it (which i find highly unlikely)
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Juzh

SectorOne wrote: Wait until Australia Q3. Then we´ll know exactly how much slower the cars are and if a GP2 car can keep up with it (which i find highly unlikely)
Gonna be hard to compare it to Q3 in australia. Green, drying track with less than optimal conditions. 2011 would be better imo.

edit. oh yeah, i meant comparison with 2013 is gonna be hard.

ScottB
ScottB

The noise comments are a nonsense, the cars will still be incredibly loud in person I'm sure, and the sound on TV was always neutered and modified compared to actually being there, so I'm sure the broadcasters will do what they do with the sound once more, it's hardly going to be silent.

And please, giving Bernie veto power over rules? So by now we'd have medals, sprinklers and scalertix split chicanes in place! He's a dottering old man, stuck in his ways trying to deflect attention from his court case. The manufacturers wanted the new engine regs and it's already attracted a new one to the sport. It's time for Bernie to keep his mouth shut, not least because it's no longer his job.

321apex
321apex

ScottB wrote:The noise comments are a nonsense, the cars will still be incredibly loud in person I'm sure, and the sound on TV was always neutered and modified compared to actually being there, so I'm sure the broadcasters will do what they do with the sound once more, it's hardly going to be silent.

And please, giving Bernie veto power over rules? So by now we'd have medals, sprinklers and scalertix split chicanes in place! He's a dottering old man, stuck in his ways trying to deflect attention from his court case. The manufacturers wanted the new engine regs and it's already attracted a new one to the sport. It's time for Bernie to keep his mouth shut, not least because it's no longer his job.
Disagree with you with your anti Bernie banter. Bear in mind that it is Bernie Ecclestone, whether you like it or not that has for the past 30 years been putting F1 onto the world stage of global, mega advertising business. You fail to give the man credit or respect that is very much due.

He developed F1 into what it is and it is easy to take it for granted. If he was clueless and as you suggest was ignorant of the nature of his business, then the power brokers of F1 advertising and promotional business would not waste a minute to keep him.