How Many Finishers in Melbourne?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

How many classified cars at the end of Melbourne?

Poll ended at 08 Mar 2014, 14:27

Fewer than 6
4%
6 to 10
19%
11-12
24%
13-14
28%
8%
7%
4%
5%
19-20
1%
21-22
0%

Total votes: 209

dren

Re: How Many Finishers in Melbourne?

There are 8 Mercedes powered cars and two Ferraris, so at least we will see some racing. If Renault gets its PU sorted, then maybe we'll have a show.
Honda!

Gridlock

Chilton is currently 2500 to 1 for a win but only 47 to 1 for a podium :D

ScottB
ScottB

Caterham managed a decent number of laps I guess, so Renault powered teams may have to decide between running slowly and finishing, or trying to run competitively, but failing.

I will guess between 10 and 16 finishers.

daveyrace
daveyrace

I wouldn't be surprised if we had a couple of drivers who do not start the race or qualifying. Finding and fixing problems on these cars seems to take a lot longer than previously. Previous years we have had mechanics scrambling to get damaged or non-running cars ready 'just in time' for qualifying and the race. Maybe this year they won't manage it.

Also they are supposedly more of a challenge to drive with high torque lower downforce through corners, Hamilton saying that they get wheelspin up to fifth gear in the sim. Not many crashes/spins yet since they were sorting rear brake balance issues but what happens when they really push it in qualifying :wink: .

It looks like the Mercs are pretty nippy, Ferrari are lurking, quietly testing and Mclaren seem to want to be up the front.
Jenson always seems to do well at Albert Park (probably not but my memory is selective), maybe he will win :o . Anyway I think the Williams will be right up with Merc, Ferrari and Mclaren waiting to pounce on any mistakes/car dramas.

6 if we are lucky... =D>

I have discounted the Renault powered teams as my armchair has a good view inside their Factory at Viry Chatillon :P .

bosanac1
bosanac1

I wonder if some will even make the 107% rule.

This first race will be complete farce unless some just run conservative just to get to finish.

ironrose
ironrose

number of finishers depends on where car number 13 ends up on the grid ... mind you he is racing after 5 months .. and would have pressed his reset button during the winter :lol: :lol: :lol:

SiLo

All Ferrari/Merc engined cars to finish with no Renault finishers. Heard it here first.
Felipe Baby!

Gridlock

Well after a reasonably significant number of votes, a quarter of us think there'll be fewer finishers than points-paying positions and over half expect half the field to retire.... Will bump this after second Bahrain test, when we have as much information as we can expect.

muelte
muelte

I say 12 cars getting the checkered flag (some of them crawling to achieve it)

Gridlock

P10, "-24 laps", Kamui? :D

MOWOG

I'm in the "13-14" camp. I think the results will not be quite as bad as feared, but bad enough to give the sport a significant amount of negative reviews from the fans and the media.

I'll know more in a couple of weeks! :P
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

myurr
myurr

Gridlock wrote:P10, "-24 laps", Kamui? :D
Unless it's a 240 lap race he wouldn't be classified at -24 laps. You need to complete 90% of the distance covered by the race winner.

WhiteBlue

I'm optimistic and have selected 16.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

NTS
NTS

I've selected 16 as well, because even if Renault screws up I would expect at least Caterham with their large cooling package to finish. They have done quite a distance in the last days of testing, just at a not really competitive speed.

erlik
erlik

10... would love to see that.