The new V6 Turbo engine sounds

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of the new engine sounds?

Love it!
14%
Pretty good, better than the V8s
10%
Pretty good, but not as good as the V8s
11%
Acceptable
18%
Don't really like it
15%
They've taken its soul away
32%

Total votes: 241

CriXus
CriXus

Re: The new engine sounds

I don't know what is the live sound, but from the broadcasting is pretty damn awful.
“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw

Vettel Maggot
Vettel Maggot

The 1980s turbos sounded a lot more brutal.

I agree with Vijay Dodgy Haircut Mallya pn the TV broadcast during practice. Something is now missing.

kishigae
kishigae

Live sound is awful as well imo. But on the positive side, you don't need ear plugs and you can have a chat during the race.

idfx

if it were legal, this could be the solution:
Exhaust Valve
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rCT5FfwBl0[/youtube]
----------

beelsebob
beelsebob

The reason the engines are so quiet is because tech has moved on, and they're more efficient. Of course they're not going to add loudeners to the cars – that would defeat the point.

CHT
CHT

I remember when i first attended F1 race in the 90s it was actually the sound of the roaring engine that wow me over, something which I never though could be possible. And every time I attended the race since then, it is still the noise of the roaring cars zooming around the track that provide the excitement of being at the race. What will likely to make it obvious is when you have feeder series running with roaring V8 engine.

Now its like asking a Heavy Metal fans to start listening to classical music

Powershift

There is no option for "I don't care", on a technical forum its sad to see a group of people who are complaining about sound when we have finally moved forward from 1980's era engine technology.

The NA engine is dead, and should have been dead a long time ago if it wasn't for some backward team owner who has idiotic quotes such as "the horse should pull the cart not push it" and "Aerodynamics is for people who don't know how to build engines".

In 1988 the McLaren mp4/4 won 15 out of 16 races with a boost limited and fuel limited 1.5L v6 turbo against 3.5L V8's running unlimited fuel, THE NA HAS LONG SINCE BEEN DEAD, I don't care what the v8's sounded like because the race was over when the turbo's passed the finish line.

You can have loud, I would rather win, and your loud crapwagon can't beat me in my quiet turbo.
Winning is the most important. Everything is consequence of that. Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.-Ayrton Senna

MOWOG

A friend said the cars sound like they are powered by Ducati engines. I disagree. I think the sound is more Briggs & Stratton. :(
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

vtr
vtr

Powershift wrote:
You can have loud, I would rather win, and your loud crapwagon can't beat me in my quiet turbo.
Yes, and F1 should be proud of the new Engines/Power Units! I remember watching the first "Truth in 24" Audi Le Mans documentary and they interview Ulrich Baretzky (Audi Engine Boss) and he mentioned that noise is wasted energy when discussing the sound of the TDi.

beelsebob
beelsebob

For some reason the forum thinks I voted "they took the soul away", I actually voted "love it".

langwadt
langwadt

kishigae wrote:Live sound is awful as well imo. But on the positive side, you don't need ear plugs and you can have a chat during the race.
the onboards are a bit dull, maybe it just that the mic in the cam mostly pick up the intake sound and not much exhaust

Hail22

Vijay Mallya during FP2 and his opinion on the new power unit whilst on the pit wall:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAwBI5ZRzvo[/youtube]
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Holm86

idfx wrote:if it were legal, this could be the solution:
Exhaust Valve
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rCT5FfwBl0
How is that supposed to help anything?? They are already straight pipe exhausts. The turbo is what is muffling most of the sound.

timbo
timbo

I feel that FOM does something wrong to the sound on broadcast. When all those vids from tests appeared I thought the sound was not that bad, but on official broadcast it is horrible. Especially on onboards.
I wonder if FOM applies some filtering for whatever reason, and filter settings were not adjusted for V6s.

CriXus
CriXus

timbo wrote:I feel that FOM does something wrong to the sound on broadcast. When all those vids from tests appeared I thought the sound was not that bad, but on official broadcast it is horrible. Especially on onboards.
I wonder if FOM applies some filtering for whatever reason, and filter settings were not adjusted for V6s.
Yeah, after i watched FP3 on SkySports, i am quite sure that is the only explanation for the poor sound. I watched plenty of videos on YouTube and the cars sounded very good.
“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” - George Bernard Shaw