Vibration

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Spencifer_Murphy

I'm still convinced its because of the weight of the camera.

Obviously the airflow & resonance of the turbulant air cause the vibrations, but the weight of the camera is what causes them to be greater in one rather than the other.

Look carefully at it, u'll notice it only vibrates more on its "downward stroke". It doesnt deviate up from its normal position much, but it drops a lot.

Put it is way: it vibrates up to here
Say I call the normal position of the Mirror is HERE

but it vibrates down to here.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

But if the left mirror has a camera and more mass, then it's frequency should be lower than the right, but the amplitude higher. Left should move more, but slower than right.

rsfocus
rsfocus

i would have thought it was because the right hand mirror (on clockwise tracks) has the radio and data transmitter in it (as mentioned by Mikey_s) you will probably see at brazil the right mirror will shake.

have mclaren had the camera that has shots from the mirror this year? i cant recall seeing any? also is the camera in the mirror? i always thought for some reason it was in the cockpit?

Spencifer_Murphy

Surely the radio transmitters should be in the mirror facing the pits? Therefore at the last two races they have been in the right, but the left has been the one moving the most.

manchild
manchild

Why would cam be in left mirror only or in left by must if only one mirror cam is used?

http://www.fia.com/resources/documents/ ... awings.pdf

Spencifer_Murphy

Why would cam be in left mirror only
I dont know but they often have asymetrical cameras on the cars nose. Back in the early 90's they had asymetrical cameras on the car's engine cover.

rsfocus
rsfocus

the diagram has both mirrors showing. i guess the camera in the left mirror (in the last two gp's) could be for asthetic reasons, more to see out the right hand side??? could be talking out my arse here, i really dont know!

Spencifer_Murphy

Well it could be, purely a random decision to put the camera in one mirror and not the other.

Also, you think maybe more advertising came be seen from that camera than the other???

Just a little finacial conspiracy theory for ya :wink:

taleed

The side mirrors are used for only two purposes...
one: is to see the opponents behind you
two: is to check your rear tyres now and then to see if they're
not wearing out and so on.....

I believe that there must be a fault on the mirror otherwise there
wouldn't be any other purpose for the mirrors to exist.

Any comment??

Spencifer_Murphy

I believe that there must be a fault on the mirror otherwise there
wouldn't be any other purpose for the mirrors to exist
Doubtful seeing as this was occuring on Renaults & Mclaren's cars, and at Both the Bahrain & malaysian GP, in BOTH Quali & race (i didnt see any practice sessions so I cant comment on them). If it was some sort of fault it would have been fixed.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

The FIA regulations require mirrors, and consider them safety equipment. Their dimensions and location are specified by the rules (14.3) but apart from that, there's a lot of latitude allowed in their use by the teams. These devices stick out, and are not that easy to mount. With the aero forces and vibration they are subject to, it's no surprise we now see noticeable movement on some cars. Don't be surprised to see an amendment to the rules very quickly, these fall under safety equipment, and thus, the rules can be altered immediately.