nosles on engines i do not understand

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
pyry
pyry

whats the fuel/air ratio typically in a f1 engine? compression ratio might be somethingg like 11-13?

does the regulation dave posted mean that direct injection is forbidden?
four rings to rule them all

manchild
manchild

Yes, direct fuel inj. is banned.

Regarding fuel/air ratio in F1 it can be changed during the race to add performance or save fuel. MIXTURE switch on steering wheel enables driver to choose level suggested by team via pit radio. Before two-way telemetry was banned teams were able to adjust engine parameters from pits and all driver had to do was to acknowledge new settings by pressing button.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 9926133763
Last edited by manchild on 01 Jul 2006, 17:55, edited 1 time in total.

pyry
pyry

ok, but whats the point in banning fsi? that would be a bonus on performance, as well as contributing pretty directly to fuel economy as well as having a direct link to production car technology.

i was already aware of adjustable fuel air ratio, but was wondering what it is generally and whats the possible variation and its effect on power/fuel ratio?

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

For gasoline fuel, the stoichiometric air/fuel mixture is approximately 14.7 times the mass of air to fuel. Of course, with different air densities and that additives in Formula One fuel, it's probably slightly different.
Burn at this ratio, you get maximum fuel burn, max power. Lean it out and the combustion chamber gets hotter, you get slightly better fuel mileage. Richen the mixture, you run cooler, and of course, just waste gas.

zac510
zac510

pyry wrote:ok, but whats the point in banning fsi? that would be a bonus on performance, as well as contributing pretty directly to fuel economy as well as having a direct link to production car technology.
That would be logical, but I believe they were afraid one team would get a too big advantage from it and the others would have enormous costs to spend catching up.

MrT
MrT

14.7 to 1 is indeed stoichiometric fuel ratio, however this does not yeild maximum power. When fuel is atomised by the injectors the dropplets are larger than the air molecules. This means that there is some fuel at the center of the droplet which will not burn properly. This is why richening yeilds more power, as a richer air fuel ratio (0.88 lambda, or 12.1ish A/F) yeilds the correct SURFACE INTERACTION area between the air and fuel rations so that a real stoichimetric ratio of fuel actually combusts.

Teentardpojo
Teentardpojo

Phoenix

Where is the combustion happening?

Woody
Woody

Word of warning, don't click on the link in the above post or any similar as this is a trojan that will download onto your PC and start sending personal information.

pyry
pyry

the link is a bit out of context anyhow, maybe a mod could remove it? :)

Phoenix

Can anyone tell me where the combustion is happening in the Renault video?

manchild
manchild

As in any 4 stroke engine - in cylinder. What you see on video is just a mist as the injectors spray fuel into trumpets.

Phoenix

Okay. I was confused on what I was seeing moving. I assumed that waht I saw moving in the hole was a psiton, but is it correct to say that its a flange like that of a throttle body?

pyry
pyry

there would be quite a dramatic failure in the engine if you can see the piston moving :)

manchild
manchild

Phoenix wrote:Okay. I was confused on what I was seeing moving. I assumed that waht I saw moving in the hole was a psiton, but is it correct to say that its a flange like that of a throttle body?
That's old V10 with butterfly so what you saw was a butterfly moving. Theoretically, you could see a piston moving trough such type of throttle body but that would require different angle of viewing and only few rpm or super fast eye.