Honda's Horsepower

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
Aradea
Aradea

Shoot...

Well NickT, you're right... turns out that Jense is running on a light fuel load when he broke the lap record. So much for my excitement.. :(
What I dont undestand is if teams are testing with different kinds of fuel load, then what is the point comparing times ??
If a Honda car broke the lap record with its best times of the day, shouldn't other top teams best time is when their car is on the lightest fuel level too ??
Anyway, You've seen the lap times right ? If U have to guess, can U tell me if the other top teams can match Jense Lap times, carrying the lightest fuel load on their car (say.. within the 1'14 mark ..) ?

Reca
Reca

For the external viewers the point in comparing winter testing times is the same as in comparisons between the estimated power of different engines or between drivers of different periods/teams. It’s the adult version of the adage “my dad is stronger than yours”...
Teams have obviously better data than us so they can extrapolate more precise results, each team has a pretty good idea about the pace of the car at low fuel load, especially those still using ’03 cars, BAR was just trying to verify it. For example and neglecting most of the variables involved for sake of simplicity, we can consider the 15”4 of MS. If the German was carrying at least 30 kg of fuel, he could be as fast as Jenson, if not faster, with low fuel load. If on the contrary the GA was on fumes with no ballast and a 4.0 liter turbo engine, well, “Maranello, we’ve have a problem”...

BTW

What engine is Jordan using for testing? The CR5?

Irvingthien
Irvingthien

I don't know whether Jordan are using cr-5 or not, i know they are using cr-6 for '04.

SpeedTech
SpeedTech

As far as I have been informed, Jordan are not testing the new engine, only Jaguar have that previliage at the moment.

SennaFan
SennaFan

At Suzuka, Honda had one of the most powerful engines on the grid with over 19100-19200 RPM, and over 900 HP. It was probably as powerful or very close to BMW, albeit with around 5 kgs more weight. This year's engine however, is already more powerful, and lighter, it may be one of the best or the best unit in F1.

Aradea
Aradea

Wow, as a BAR fan, it's a really nice thing to hear.. :D I really hope that the RA004E will be more powerfull than The Suzuka Spec as they promised, And Lighter too..
Btw, Where did U get those numbers about the RPM & HorsePower of A F1 Car at A circuit ??