Massa can't passa

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Ray

Re: Massa can't passa

That journalist has it right. Just got the name wrong. It should say DC refuses to accept blame.

Ray

Spencifer_Murphy wrote:Good point Ray, although I think (i would though wouldn't I? lol) that its being a little bit harsh on Lewis.

Granted his wins have come from pole, two of them though (Canada 2007, Australia 2008) he had to deal with his lead being erroded by safety cars on four, and then three, occasions. Winning from Pole isn't always an easy task of simply running and hiding. More importantly though, I think Lewis has proved time and time again that unlike Massa he CAN overtake, and he CAN battle it out on the track.

I think though he has lacked the restraint sometimes to know when to stop, hopefully with a year under his belt he'd have learnt that, maybe if he can marry that to his wheel-to-wheel ability he'll prove that he CAN win races from other than pole.

Basically I'm saying - you're right that both haven't won many (any?) races from other than pole, yes this can be seen as a fault or lacking on their part - but maybe Lewis is better than Massa.

Just my humble opinion on the matter.
I have nothing but respect for Lewis Hamiltons driving ablities. Never have I said, at least not that I can remember, he lacked skills. He is phenominal behind the wheel. He absolutely is capable of pulling off some fantastic passing. No doubt about that at all. I didn't mean to imply I felt it was easy from pole, sorry if I did. I just think it's easier from pole.

I'm just not a fan of Lewis Hamilton the regular person. I felt the same about Schumacher. I don't doubt he has the ability to slice throught the field to victory. I just haven't seen it yet, and I refuse to give credit where it isn't merited. Same with Massa. He's a fantastic driver. All my feelings and opinions about Lewis apply to Massa. They both have won races, but only from pole. Until either one does like Kimi and go from 17th on the grid to win in commanding stlye, they don't get that same level of respect from me.

Metar

My problem with Massa's move on Coulthard is simple - it looked as if there "was no corner" for Massa. While Coulthard turned in correctly (and not even that hard on the inside), Massa kept going straight, probably hoping to block Coulthard's way - similar to what Hamilton did with Raikkonen at the 2007 Monza race. But the idiot miscalculated the distances, and just ran straight into Coulthard, "Gran Turismo gaming" style.
Ratatouille wrote:The same arguments you've been stating against Massa could be stated twice on Kimi Raikkonen. He also screwed up big time, and I don't see a thread yet stating how much Kimi sucks at overtaking, or let alone keeping his car off the grass while chasing Timo Glock.
I just wanted to comment that when I saw the thread - if one driver showed some very bad driving at Australia, then it's Raikkonen. Even ignoring his Saturday blockage on Kubica, which he wasn't punished for (while Glock got two!), his overtaking and driving were horrendous. Not quite the "machine" he was considered in testing...

He hopeless against Barrichello (who put up a fantastic drive, especially early on) until a mistake by the latter, about 19 laps too late - but once he overtook, he nearly forced Barrichello off the road. People bitch and complain about the Alonso/Hamilton battle at Spa's La Source, but this is when it gets dirty. While Hamilton could escape to the runoffs (and Alonso knew that), Barrichello had nowhere to go, and had to stop completely as Raikkonen, from his inside line, just went straight to the outside, cutting him off.

And his move on Kovalainen was pure insanity. He braked, just like Massa, an age and a half too late for the corner - it was Kovalainen's luck that he braked extra hard in order to avoid Kimi, else the two would've been out of the race. Running off the track was part of the deal.

The move behind Timo was pure bad driving. Instead of waiting another corner for a better opportunity (he was catching up fast anyway), he braked hard enough to start locking the rears, sending one to the grass. Doing that was a very useless maneuver.

And then losing the two places to Alonso and Kovalainen... Well, that could be forgiven, considering the crash that happened right in front of him.

Ray

Metar wrote:My problem with Massa's move on Coulthard is simple - it looked as if there "was no corner" for Massa. While Coulthard turned in correctly (and not even that hard on the inside), Massa kept going straight, probably hoping to block Coulthard's way - similar to what Hamilton did with Raikkonen at the 2007 Monza race. But the idiot miscalculated the distances, and just ran straight into Coulthard, "Gran Turismo gaming" style.
Forgive my rudeness, but I call bullshit. Raikkonen did not turn in on Lewis because he had the upper hand. Unlike Coulthard. Also, Lewis came from WAY far back. Massa was alongside him the whole time in the braking zone. The two were very dissimilar. DC is completely at fault and should shut up about it.

Metar

Yes, but Massa's idea was to take a wider path through the corner, turning in later (which is the slower way, over a single lap), hoping to cut into Coulthard's way and force him to stop behind him. Unfortunately, he misjudged it, and ended up going too fast, while Coulthard already braked and began turning - and not even on the inside line. Massa had space there.

GTO

I'm not sure I understand all those criticizing Massa. #-o Don't jump all over him because of one race & one "racing incident" with (IMHO) a second rate driver who has had worse racing incidents in his career. Yes, I criticize him because he wasn't cautious enough to bring his car out of the first turn at the start of the race. Not crucifiable though. Turn 1 at most tracks are notoriously too narrow. I hate this situation at most tracks. Yes, he has won from pole many times. Look at Hamilton yesterday. Without having to pass anyone & no pressure from cars behind him, he made it look easy. But, in fact it was much harder that it looked. That's why P1 is so important in qualifying.
Massa raced a few years along side MS in equal car & yet was not severly outclassed.
Keep in mind Massa's salary at Ferrari is nowhere near the others. I would wait at least 'til end of this season to pass harsh judgement on him. In the meantime, world champions Kimi & Alonso's driving yesterday was (IMHO) third rate & much more disappointing.

The best driver yesterday was Rosberg. =D>

Metar

I blame him for that mistake, but I don't believe he really was that bad. If one of the two Ferraris was terrible today, it's Kimi.

Though, were did Alonso mess it up? He did manage a double-pass - how often do we see that in F1? And reaching 4th in this messy race, despite getting screwed over twice by safety-cars, was no easy feat either. Even though he just finished two places in front of last.

P_O_L

i too, am baffled about that last one..where did alonso go wrong? He scored more points than both ferrari drivers. In the 40 laps i did watch the race both ferrari drivers took out bucket and spade and played in the gravel traps while alonso satyed on track.
Last Tango In Paris

RedMaple
RedMaple

It looked like a case of an old donkey and a young mule trying to occupy the same corner in time. Personally thought it was DC fault, extended an invitation by letting Massa get alongside and then quickly shut it. If DC saw Massa as he says then he should have driven a bit more defensively down the straight. Even him manager Brundle could not blame Massa.

Ray

Metar wrote:Yes, but Massa's idea was to take a wider path through the corner, turning in later (which is the slower way, over a single lap), hoping to cut into Coulthard's way and force him to stop behind him. Unfortunately, he misjudged it, and ended up going too fast, while Coulthard already braked and began turning - and not even on the inside line. Massa had space there.
I'm soory, I don't understand how Massa hoped to take a wider path. When DC turned in on him he was over the effing curb! How is that wide?!?

Metar

One of the overtaking tactics is to get ahead of your opponent, possibly slightly away from the ideal racing-line, and "block him". See case: Hamilton Vs. Raikkonen, Monza 2007. Unfortunately, Massa went in with a little too much speed for this maneuver, while Coulthard went right ahead, apparently oblivious to it.

Ray

Metar wrote:One of the overtaking tactics is to get ahead of your opponent, possibly slightly away from the ideal racing-line, and "block him". See case: Hamilton Vs. Raikkonen, Monza 2007. Unfortunately, Massa went in with a little too much speed for this maneuver, while Coulthard went right ahead, apparently oblivious to it.
So how exactly is DC being oblivious to the move Massa threw on him not DCs fault? Massa did not have too much speed. He was well within a safe margin to pass DC, but DC left him absolutely no choice but to hit him. You're wrong. The thing about Kimi and Lewis is that KIMI GAVE LEWIS ROOM ENOUGH TO AVOID A COLLISION. DC did not do that. They threw the same manuever but Lewis came from much further back. DC has no room to talk after what he did to Wurz.

Spencifer_Murphy

I gotta agree with Ray, I see DC as the "culprit" here. He just didn't give massa any room. BUT I also think that this is because he didn't know Massa was there, maybe he thought "He's too far behind, he's not gonna make a move on me from there." Hence, as far as DC's concerened there's no need to leave room, because there'd be nothing there to leave room for.

Probly DC's fault if you HAVE to place blame, but really its a racing incident.
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.

G-Rock
G-Rock

I'm not sure I understand all those criticizing Massa. Don't jump all over him because of one race & one "racing incident" with (IMHO) a second rate driver who has had worse racing incidents in his career. Yes, I criticize him because he wasn't cautious enough to bring his car out of the first turn at the start of the race. Not crucifiable though. Turn 1 at most tracks are notoriously too narrow. I hate this situation at most tracks. Yes, he has won from pole many times. Look at Hamilton yesterday. Without having to pass anyone & no pressure from cars behind him, he made it look easy. But, in fact it was much harder that it looked. That's why P1 is so important in qualifying.
Massa raced a few years along side MS in equal car & yet was not severly outclassed.
Keep in mind Massa's salary at Ferrari is nowhere near the others. I would wait at least 'til end of this season to pass harsh judgement on him. In the meantime, world champions Kimi & Alonso's driving yesterday was (IMHO) third rate & much more disappointing.
Yes agreed, Massa is a good workhorse No 2 driver but then he should admit that...not pretend he's going for the championship like he did last year. If I were a Brazilian F1 fan, I would be disgusted that Brazil has produced yet another "yes guy" after many good years of Senna. When is a Brazilian driver going to step up and say "I am the No 1 driver, take it or leave it!!"

That move that Massa made (whether is was DC's fault or not) was not the calibre of judgement that a champion driver would take. It was as DC put it a"speculative attempt" Watching drivers like Kimi, Lewis, or Alonso really makes that apparent. Kimi tried so many times to pass Barichello but not once did he just dive bomb it. He was carefull and measured. A pass in F1 with its aero affects on the following driver has to be confident and forcefull, not just a gamble.
--------------------------------------------------------

G-Rock
G-Rock

Well maybe it was because of a lack of downforce from Raikonnens wake... I would like to pass the blame on Massa but I'm open to any explaination as to why he spun off all of a sudden. My guess is a differential problem but if it is we should hear about it from Ferrari today.
Still Massa was clearly the fastest qualifier and then in the race should
v pulled away from KR but didn't. Then when KR passed him in the pits, he could somehow pull away from Massa. I think that Massa gets demoralized very easily and needs to be replaced. You can't have such a weakness in F1 these days.
--------------------------------------------------------