Gearbox gears.. materials and size

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
marcush.
marcush.

hey ,it was Mr Jenkins and mr Anderson who spoke about 8mm wide gears and 100mm long gearclusters.....
My question was how do these dimensions go together with the quoted weight of the whole assembly.

Becker4
Becker4

perhaps much more is needed to strengthen the casing, or there could be more components used in the cooling and lubrication of the transmission . . . . like i was wondering earlier, it must be a huge task to get rid of all the heat and friction wear genarated by those gears at those speeds. frankly though, i couldn't really tell you.

that figure is for the entire unit with the case and outputs.. much of that weight is the structural elements, bearings, bulkheads, shafts, and cooling system if anything is internal.

marcush.
marcush.

still 40 kilos is a lot ,considering the small size ,the materials used and
looking at the weight of readily available off the shelf products.
The Gearbox was for a long time a unit everybody in formula 1 claimed to have saved 30% on weight over the winter...wich went on year after year.....
Thinking of a whole engine weighing around 90 kilos nowadays wich compares to a very very light 4 Cylinder productionengine,I stick to my
guesstimate we(they) are well under 30kilos with the new carbonfibreboxes.

Thats nonsense, the unit has to handle profound amounts of power, unthinkable rpm's, and lightening fast shift engagement, in 100+ temps. Not to mention its a structural member, which has to support the entire rear suspension/wheels and the downforce put on the rear of the car (7-800Kg+?).. and its not just a transmission, its a transaxle - it houses the differential and output shafts as well! *sigh* This is too elementary of a discussion..