FOTA agrees to drop KERS from 2010

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
FGD
FGD

Re: FOTA agrees to drop KERS from 2010

flynfrog wrote:
FGD wrote:
flynfrog wrote:There is a team that is running one it has yet to work in racing environment.

I dont think its a terrible idea in it's self but id rather see it stand on its own with more open engine rules none of this revlimiter multi race engine crap.
I would prefer that F1 would be, with an exception to driver safety, essentially unlimited and exotic.
I agree along with the engine. set a misplacement and let the teams do as they with
Right on! 2.4 litre V8 is cool. Fat slicks and modest wings. No bargeboards, traction or launch control, flip-ups or silly aerodynamic apendages. No rev limit, of course.

All the restrictions and need to have F1 technology directly applicable to road cars takes away the exoticism of the sport. If F1 isn't exotic, it's nothing but F2 or Indycar.

flynfrog

FGD wrote:
flynfrog wrote:There is a team that is running one it has yet to work in racing environment.

I dont think its a terrible idea in it's self but id rather see it stand on its own with more open engine rules none of this revlimiter multi race engine crap.
I looked it up and found the Ginetta-Zytec Hybrid was driven to 13th place a few weeks ago at Miller Motorsport Part. That's dead last for it's class. Interestingly, the car was driven by Stefan Johanssen.
there are some pictures of it I took in my ALMS thread

also my dyslexia is kicking in early today that should be displacement and wish

Scania
Scania

F1 with no High technology, why don't me watch NASCAR or Top Fuel racing?

flynfrog

Scania wrote:F1 with no High technology, why don't me watch NASCAR or Top Fuel racing?
high technology like spec engines and spec wings

the KERS was a publicity stunt like indy burning earthanol.

I say allow the KERS to be unlimited but also remove the stupid engine rules lets see what it can really do

Scania
Scania

flynfrog wrote:
Scania wrote:F1 with no High technology, why don't me watch NASCAR or Top Fuel racing?

I say allow the KERS to be unlimited but also remove the stupid engine rules lets see what it can really do
But I don't need 20000rpm engine & aome aerodynamic crazier than US Air Force.

maybe it will be better to allowe Toyota Prius style Hybrid system + plug in hybrid

FGD
FGD

flynfrog wrote:

The higher an engine revs, the more efficient it must be. Limiting revs just saves money but does nothing to advance knowledge of how to better design and construct internal cumbustion engines.

flynfrog

FGD wrote:
flynfrog wrote:

The higher an engine revs, the more efficient it must be. Limiting revs just saves money but does nothing to advance knowledge of how to better design and construct internal cumbustion engines.
also opening up the matls. that can be used in an engine. Ti is pretty low grade stuff when it comes to making cool engines. We use it in our civilian stuff at work.

I would like to see a small turbine/hybrid used in racing.

Scania
Scania

flynfrog wrote: also opening up the matls. that can be used in an engine. Ti is pretty low grade stuff when it comes to making cool engines. We use it in our civilian stuff at work.

so bugget cap in needed.
maybe we can have one make aero dynamic

flynfrog

Scania wrote:
flynfrog wrote: also opening up the matls. that can be used in an engine. Ti is pretty low grade stuff when it comes to making cool engines. We use it in our civilian stuff at work.

so bugget cap in needed.
huh?

FGD
FGD

Scania wrote:

so bugget cap in needed.
No turbines, please. But I would like to see a return to use of exotic metals... with exception to those which might pose a health risk to mechanics (i,e.; plutonium, etc.)

flynfrog

FGD wrote:
Scania wrote:

so bugget cap in needed.
No turbines, please. But I would like to see a return to use of exotic metals... with exception to those which might pose a health risk to mechanics (i,e.; plutonium, etc.)
a small turbine coupled to a hybird electric system would be cool.

It also opens the option for afterburners.
:twisted:

FGD
FGD

It also opens the option for afterburners?

I can see piles of melted nose cones and wings in the garbage after each race. Too Batman.

flynfrog

FGD wrote:It also opens the option for afterburners?

I can see piles of melted nose cones and wings in the garbage after each race. Too Batman.
:D you can hear the announcers now well the BMW has activated its KERS but the Toyota has activated its after burner and has reached super cruise.

WhiteBlue

flynfrog wrote:

Yes, KERS makes no sense if it is castrated, so it needs to be unleashed. What do you mean by stupid engine rules? Surely an engine needs limitation of some sort. What do you think it should be?
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

machin

Agree WhiteBlue: KERS is the one technological advancement that makes sense... and now they plan on banning it?! I say allow the teams much more storage capacity and higher discharge rates.... wasting all that braking energy when it can be used for performance gain (and fuel saving) is definitely a good technology to develope...

The problem with today's KERS systems is that they're not being allowed to use them to their full potential.... with no changes to the actual equipment, only changes to the FIA control system (i.e. allowed to store and discharge more often per lap) they could really improve the performance of the car.....
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH