Belgian GP 1995

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
andartop
andartop

Re: SPA 1995

More proof that the FIA doesn't really favor Ferrari, as some conspiracy theorists believe. I can't see something wrong, or something we haven't seen another million times done by other drivers and praised them for their skills! If Hill couldn't overtake in Spa a car that was - what? 1.5 sec per lap? - slower than his, well, it's just telling about Hill's skills!
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

Conceptual wrote:You admire him for being a great but dirty driver, but you do not condone dirty driving. That is like saying that you like donuts, but dont like what it is made of...

Oblique logic to say the least.
Dale Earnnhardt was a great driver, but he also resorted to dirty actions at times. For instance,he broke some ribs at one race, yet next weekend qualified on the pole at Watkins Glen. That was worthy of great admiration and respect. When he spun out Terry Labonte for a win at Bristol, I was disgusted and ashamed. Do you understand what I'm trying to tell you? I judge a driver on different factors, and do not group everything into one huge package.
I do the same with Michael Schumacher. He was a great driver with many, many positive attributes. But he also found himself involved in controversial situations.
I was just mentioning the truth, that he received a suspended penalty. If you don't like it, tough s--t. It's the truth, and it happened that way. If you don't like the penalty (or the truth), go whine to the stewards.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

ISLAMATRON

andartop wrote:More proof that the FIA doesn't really favor Ferrari, as some conspiracy theorists believe. I can't see something wrong, or something we haven't seen another million times done by other drivers and praised them for their skills! If Hill couldn't overtake in Spa a car that was - what? 1.5 sec per lap? - slower than his, well, it's just telling about Hill's skills!
What the hell does Ferrari have to do with it? MS was in a BEnetton and Hill in a Williams.

adam2007
adam2007

ISLAMATRON wrote:
andartop wrote:More proof that the FIA doesn't really favor Ferrari, as some conspiracy theorists believe. I can't see something wrong, or something we haven't seen another million times done by other drivers and praised them for their skills! If Hill couldn't overtake in Spa a car that was - what? 1.5 sec per lap? - slower than his, well, it's just telling about Hill's skills!
What the hell does Ferrari have to do with it? MS was in a BEnetton and Hill in a Williams.
calm down islamatron its only a commercial

allan
allan

I totally agree with Dave.
But seriously, name one successful driver who wasn't involved in any controversy. Hamilton and Alonso being involved in all the Mclaren spy/lie saga, Alonso blockin Hami in Hungary, Kimi blocking Hamilton in Spa, Hill hitting schumacher's car from behind in 2 races in a row (silverstone and monza i think, wasn't it?), and you name it!
I think they're all great men that deserve what they got, whether it was an F1 world title, or a punishment. After all, you gotta risk it to get the biscuit!

andartop
andartop

:lol:
Calm down Islam!
I got completely carried away!!!
You 're absolutely right guys, MS should have been banned from racing for life for what he dared do.
D. Hill was a fabulous driver, worthy champion! He should have been allowed to pass just because of his surname and origin!
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

FGD
FGD

DaveKillens wrote:
Conceptual wrote:You admire him for being a great but dirty driver, but you do not condone dirty driving. That is like saying that you like donuts, but dont like what it is made of...

Oblique logic to say the least.
Dale Earnnhardt was a great driver, but he also resorted to dirty actions at times. For instance,he broke some ribs at one race, yet next weekend qualified on the pole at Watkins Glen. That was worthy of great admiration and respect. When he spun out Terry Labonte for a win at Bristol, I was disgusted and ashamed. Do you understand what I'm trying to tell you? I judge a driver on different factors, and do not group everything into one huge package.
I do the same with Michael Schumacher. He was a great driver with many, many positive attributes. But he also found himself involved in controversial situations.
I was just mentioning the truth, that he received a suspended penalty. If you don't like it, tough s--t. It's the truth, and it happened that way. If you don't like the penalty (or the truth), go whine to the stewards.
While I think the Schumacher/Earnhardt comparison is very fair, let's not get carried away in thinking all other drivers have been clean. Let's not forget about Senna intentionally smashing into Prost at Suzuka 1990. Then there was Piquet vs. Mansell, Pironi vs. Villeneuve, and so on. So many great drivers are accused and guilty of dirty driving.

DaveKillens
DaveKillens

I wish to expand my position.
Many fans identify with a driver, and cheer for them. Many fans, once they have committed themselves to one driver, lavish unconditional praise upon that driver. Regardless of whatever happens, they never stop supporting their driver.
I do not see it that way. Drivers have varying levels of skill, intensity, endurance, mental toughness, to name a few characteristics. I separate these qualities, and do not allow one positive attribute to cloud the overall picture. So I may witness a fantastic exhibition of driving skill, but if the driver is a jerk, he's still a jerk no matter how quick he goes.
Dale Earnhardt was a very good driver. In fact I easily compare him to Michael Schumacher. But despite Dale's immense car control talents, he was willing to resort to underhanded tactics. That makes him a jerk. Just a jerk with immense driving skills.

Just because I state I am a fan of a certain driver, that does not mean I totally endorse everything they do.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

Conceptual
Conceptual

It is called an apologist fan.

Myself, I take the driver as they are. I understand that at this level, sometimes those "jerk" manouvers is the only way to pass (Alonso on Heidfeld in 07, JPM on Schumacher in the bus-stop at Spa). Technically, outbraking someone is a jerk move too, since you are slower, but blocking the line to get out first.

I call them Pig F**kers, but just like in a good chess match, that is the only way to win against a high level opponent. I may not like them when I see them, but I can admire the fact that they even bent their understanding enough to see their way around it.

ISLAMATRON

andartop wrote::lol:
Calm down Islam!
I got completely carried away!!!
You 're absolutely right guys, MS should have been banned from racing for life for what he dared do.
D. Hill was a fabulous driver, worthy champion! He should have been allowed to pass just because of his surname and origin!

ISLAMATRON ALWAYS REMAINS CALM!

Giblet
Giblet

I have fans in life, and I do jerk maneuvers all the time :)
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

FGD
FGD

I'm just a jerk. No fans.

Project Four
Project Four

FGD wrote: Let's not forget about Senna intentionally smashing into Prost at Suzuka 1990.
While this may be true do not forget that Prost drove Senna off the road the year before.
Then there was Piquet vs. Mansell, Pironi vs. Villeneuve, and so on. So many great drivers are accused and guilty of dirty driving
When did Pironi smash into Villeneuve, or when did Villeneuve smash into Pironi. I can not recall this ever happening, Pironi cheated Gilles of a win at Imola, but I do not think they ever crashed into one another. This was a different racing era, hard but fair (Pironi at Imola apart)

ISLAMATRON

Re: Belgian GP 1995

With MS, it was not just any single incident, it was a number of bad moves on his part, how many times ramming other competitors, or blocking, or race fixing, or blocking the track during qual... the list just goes on and on.

andartop
andartop

Re: Belgian GP 1995

...Just imagine how many more Championships he would've won if his "moves" actually brought about the intended result!!!