Button signs for Mclaren

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Giblet
Giblet

Re: Button signs for Mclaren

WhiteBlue wrote:
axle wrote:Eddie Jordan is quoted as saying Merc told Button to get another job...
strange, I saw the interview. he must have said that for back ground if that is correct at all.
Opinions are fickle, and change like socks.

Eddi Jordan, as much as he likes to think he is still in the sport, he is not. When you become a journo you become the enemy. You change fence sides, cross the track. when EJ walks into a pit stall, the conversation will hush now. his actual knowledge will start becoming a different animal than his perceived knowledge as time goes on.

As well, whatever opinions Ron might have had,and been closed off to certain drivers, Martin might not be. While obviously Ron is still in charge, but Martin will have his own little little opinions of what is good for Mclaren. And Martin has facial expressions.

Now we have a professor again in Jenson, and an animal in Lewis.

Now, an opinion few share. Jenson got better last year, and rose to the car, very quickly, and much to his teammates chagrin, got the better of him. You could argue that Rubens is driving better then he ever has. MS made him look bad, but Rubens has never been a slouch. MS makes everyone look bad.

If I had to put money on a driver rising to the challenge again, it would be Jenson before most in the field.

Considering what goony said, and the fact that Mclaren were unable to produce a car that suited any driver for beginning of the season, makes me think that cars are less sutied to certain drivers than we think, especially in modern simulated F1 (90s+). There is only one best nowadays, one quickest. Different lines and different cars are rapidly becomming things of the past as the optimum becomes apparent.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

freedom_honda wrote:As a Button fan I am MASSIVELY disappointed. But having said that, if Brawn really is only offering him 4.5-6m, then I sort of understand why Button chose to leave. I mean Kimi's salary was £27.35m, Alonso and Hamilton salary were about £10m, yet the latest Champion is only getting 6M? That's just ridiculous.
Refusing £6 million for something any of us would happily do for free?

Looking for a large pay raise when so many of the team were handed P45s earlier in the year?

Brawn knows who did the winning between car and driver, and rightly sent Button packing.

timd
timd

Well if i was button i would feel slightly miffed at the way Brawn have sidelined him and played around considering he didnt desert them last year. I think now if i was in his position i would move too. I would feel used.

Money is not imporant when your earning in the millions but mutrual respect and a feeling of value and worth in a team are. Yes Mclaren are a good team but i think theres two fingers up at brawn on this one too. Understandibly. Especially with his little comment about hopeing they wish him luck too. That sounds like all is not well within the team and maybe some split opinions.

Mclaren is a risky move for him but it'll entertain us so we should thank him :)

Lets see what happens.

Carbon
Carbon

Interesting development....will this free up a seat at MGP for Schu, creating a German Uber team?

Terrible3
Terrible3

Why does everyone make it sound like Button took a big hit this year signing to brawn for 6 million? I am sorry but what F1 career at the end of 2008 did he have left? To me it was a no brainier to sign knowing that at that point in time you are not in much demand and knowing that Honda put way more time and money into dev the 2009 car. Sorry but 2009 was handed to him on a silver platter.

What I find interesting is how much Brawn would complement Button and even compare him to Shumi at the start of the year.... when he was winning. Now it seems like Brawn has no interest at all with Button despite the fact that he is WDC and his team is WCC. Is it that Brawn knew all along that Button was midcore in a brilliant car or does it just come down to that merc wanted a German driving? None the less it just seems odd to say how your driver is so brilliant just to sack him several months later.

As far as Buttons move to mcl, its going to be exactly what he needs or its going to cement the idea of him being a midcore driver. It will be awesome to see him racing with equal machinery against, in my opinion, the best driver currently on the grid. If Button does well it will show that he had the talent all along and hush up everyone. On the flip side if he is destroyed by Hami then well its bad news for Button. I personally think the only drivers that can match Hami's raw pace would be FA, FM and SV.
Carbon wrote:Interesting development....will this free up a seat at MGP for Schu, creating a German Uber team?
If that ever happened it would make 2010 unreal. I just don't see Shumi coming back as he has nothing to prove.

Giblet
Giblet

Terrible3 wrote:Why does everyone make it sound like Button took a big hit this year signing to brawn for 6 million? I am sorry but what F1 career at the end of 2008 did he have left? To me it was a no brainier to sign knowing that at that point in time you are not in much demand and knowing that Honda put way more time and money into dev the 2009 car. Sorry but 2009 was handed to him on a silver platter.

What I find interesting is how much Brawn would complement Button and even compare him to Shumi at the start of the year.... when he was winning. Now it seems like Brawn has no interest at all with Button despite the fact that he is WDC and his team is WCC. Is it that Brawn knew all along that Button was midcore in a brilliant car or does it just come down to that merc wanted a German driving? None the less it just seems odd to say how your driver is so brilliant just to sack him several months later.

As far as Buttons move to mcl, its going to be exactly what he needs or its going to cement the idea of him being a midcore driver. It will be awesome to see him racing with equal machinery against, in my opinion, the best driver currently on the grid. If Button does well it will show that he had the talent all along and hush up everyone. On the flip side if he is destroyed by Hami then well its bad news for Button. I personally think the only drivers that can match Hami's raw pace would be FA, FM and SV.
Carbon wrote:Interesting development....will this free up a seat at MGP for Schu, creating a German Uber team?
If that ever happened it would make 2010 unreal. I just don't see Shumi coming back as he has nothing to prove.

Sorry was the silver platter his when he thought the team was folding, when he thought he had no drive, or when he payed for all his own travel last year with a big pay cut to boot? Maybe you mean the car that was good at first and then caught up to by most of the other teams, including Force India?

That platter?

That platter was more of a torn Royal Chinette paper plate. He was also given a car with a lot of early potential, and very little in season development. He did what he had to do, including a very nice drive in the penultimate race to secure the title.

Maybe the title has gone to his head, and we would not be as privy in this guarded contract seeking time to that as people closer to the teams.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

ringo

I don't think 2010 will change anything about him. losing to Hamilton, doesn't expose him as mediocre. It's how he will lose, and even then Hamilton has beaten all his teammates so it says nothing really. As for shumachers teammates, no one could say any of them was mediocre, regardless of their performance compared to his.
If button has the same attitude in 2010 as 2009, he should do well enough to maintain some sense of worth and value. So long as he can deal with real competition now.
For Sure!!

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

Giblet wrote:Sorry was the silver platter his when he thought the team was folding, when he thought he had no drive, or when he payed for all his own travel last year with a big pay cut to boot?
So... he got paid "just" a couple of million this year.

The boy is virtually on the bread line.

Catch a f**king grip of yourself.

He made absolutely no sacrifices to stay with Brawn this year as he had no alternatives and still made a sh!tload of money due to his wage. Travel costs... christ. :lol:

Giblet wrote: Maybe you mean the car that was good at first and then caught up to by most of the other teams, including Force India?
Due to the two mediocre drivers (Barrichello used to be good, but he is well over the hill now).

That will become painfully obvious to you next season.

Giblet wrote: That platter?
Yes, that platter.

Giblet wrote: He was also given a car with a lot of early potential, and very little in season development.
"Early potential"...

Is that what you call a second on the field in Aus?
Last edited by kilcoo316 on 18 Nov 2009, 19:51, edited 1 time in total.

hecti
hecti

Yay german uber team!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Michael schu just left his post at ferrari too, according to f1-live

axle
axle

Good god some people write guff on here.
1. MS has said he's not going to be an F1 Adviser for Ferrari anymore, preferring instead to concentrate on the Road Car side of things, with probably half an eye on a job with the FIA...HE HAS NOT LEFT FERRARI!!!!!
2. MS has stated he CAN'T race due to injury.
3. Button, whether he was pushed or pulled it doesn't matter, Brawn wouldn't offer him the contract he wanted, McLaren would and will arguably be there or there abouts from the outset next year. He's got a great car, 3 years to bed into the team and all the trappings that come with being part of the McLaren setup. His alternative was a 1 shot deal for a comparative pittance. I'd take the 3 year deal anytime. Every recent WDC is paid double or more than Button's McLaren contract and so he's not expensive...Brawn's loss IMO.
- Axle

Giblet
Giblet

kilcoo, brawn recently stated that they barely developed the car in the last half of the year, making his job harder. I don't know why that fact is lost on you.

The fact that you are trivializing he took a big pay cut and paid his own travel expenses, which nobody in the sport does, takes nothing away form the fact. He did make sacrifices, and you are ignoring that, for some reason as well.

He hardly had a silver platter, unless you have a different definition of what that means?

Schumacher got a silver platter, albeit well earned, for a few years with his team and car. The differences are clear.

Telling me to "Catch a **** grip on myself" is just plain ass-speak. Please don't bother if you can't keep a level head or conversation with me.

Conceptual
Conceptual

I think Button stayed at BrawnGP for a much lower salary because he was promised by Brawn that the car was a winner (like he told Honda). Barrichello is not a bad driver... It is hard to stay in F1 for 15 years and be a bad driver.

The real question is this...

What did Button see when he saw the 2010 McLaren machine and compared it to the 2010 MGP machine?

I don't see Jenson jumping to a team that he felt was going to underperform. I think that he took more money to race in what he felt was going to be the better car.

That doesn't mean that I think it is a good idea, but the amount of opinion expressed here as if it is the truth makes my teeth ache.

Unless you were in the room when these decisions were made, please preface your responses with the words "This is what I THINK...." Please stop acting as if reality bends to the whim of your opinion.

Terrible3
Terrible3

Giblet wrote:he silver platter his when he thought the team was folding, when he thought he had no drive, or when he payed for all his own travel last year with a big pay cut to boot? Maybe you mean the ...........................

My whole point is that He was basically over the hill and was offered a drive at a reduced pay stub. So here is JB thinking he was on the verge of a curtain call and then he is handed the best car on the grid by a longshot. So what if he paid for his own travel, he was still making over five million!!!! That does not included the extra cash I am sure he is making on the side with monster energy drink. I am sorry but if I was offered a drive in F1 for any amount of money I would take it, its not like other offers were rolling in for button. So now just one year after JB being nothing special he is now at one of the top teams and considered to be one of the top drivers. Sorry but if the Brawn car was not a silver platter than what is?

Please dont think I am saying he is a terrible driver and does not deserve any of the success he has had this year. I am just saying that he was at the right place at the right time nothing more. People try to make it look like he had it so bad at the start of the year with low pay and a team that came out of nowhere. I am very sure he knew along with everyone else at the team that their car was going to be vast.... very very fast.

Dont compare Shumi and Button, two drivers of vastly different talent. Shumi was able to make a slower car competitive, something in my view Button never did this year. It seemed that as soon as Brawn lost their half second advantage Buttons win streak folded and for the rest of the year he bitched about the balance of the car while Rubens was still winning races.

Giblet
Giblet

I guess I think silver platter means handed to you with no personal worries or losses, like the definition of the term.

This is not the case for the 2009 season with Jenson Button. The perspective is that he was on a failing Honda team, that he stuck with, not that he lucked into some team that handed him a car on a silver platter. His career with this team did not start at the track debut of the BGP-01.

He earned that car from that team, and that is why I am beginning to think I am the only one that understands what a silver platter is.

Nico Rosbberg might be getting handed a Silver Arrow Platter next year.

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

Giblet wrote:I guess I think silver platter means handed to you with no personal worries or losses, like the definition of the term.

This is not the case for the 2009 season with Jenson Button. The perspective is that he was on a failing Honda team, that he stuck with, not that he lucked into some team that handed him a car on a silver platter. His career with this team did not start at the track debut of the BGP-01.
Personal worries? About what?

Losses? He still made a few million in wages last year.

Button stuck with Brawn? What choice did he have? Did he have another drive lined up? No. Did he lose money last year as a result? No, he still made a few million.

Giblet wrote: He earned that car from that team, and that is why I am beginning to think I am the only one that understands what a silver platter is.
He earned nothing.

Barrichello might have earned that car since he convincingly outperformed Button in 2008.

You have an extremely warped view of a silver platter, and/or a warped view of F1. Which is why I'm getting somewhat pissed off.