2011 F1 car concepts

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
autogyro
autogyro

Re: 2011 cars

The whole idea of a driver operated rear wing with a regulated operating envelope is at total odds with the concept of F1 technology and sporting definitions.

It is an artificial method used to replace the need for sensible regulations, based on a need to bring F1 into a new technology future.

It will simply prove that F1 regulated in this way has no development future and will be forced to follow 'variations on a theme' drawn from past ideas already used and done to death. F1 will be locked in the past.

Shrieker

gridwalker wrote:I thought what I meant was reasonably clear ...

Basically, I want to know what happens to your rear wing after you have made your pass.

If the wing only works when you are within X seconds of the car in front, I would like to know what happens after the overtaking maneuvre has been completed : Leaving the rear wing on the incorrect DF setting could have serious safety implications, so I would have thought that the wing wouldn't just freeze in place.

Does your wing :
A) Freeze in its current setting?
B) Return to a default setting?
C) Give you a limited time to select the setting that is most suitable for running in clean air?

From my POV : The wing will have two settings, x is normal, y is when you get close to a car in front.

When the driver activates the rear wing, it'll simply go from setting x to y.

After that;

a) The wing returns to x setting after a given time -say- 2 secs. ?
b) The wing returns to x setting when the driver pushes the button again (which sounds more plausible IMHO).
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

segedunum
segedunum

I don't like artifical stuff, I must admit. Formula 1 will lose a great deal of its identity and differentiation from other motorsports if this artificial rear wing nonsense is brought in. The regulations are either well thought out or they're not.

deus1066
deus1066

The rear wing is supposed to adjust back the next time they press the brakes. Remember it can only be used on a predetermined bit of track when they are within a given time of the car infront.

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2010/06/n ... esistance/

I agree, I hate these artificial racing tools.

It will be interesting to see where they mount the adjuster mechanism, in the endplates, the central supports or the sharkfin?

wesley123
wesley123

I have to say one thing about that, it is the most ridiculous thing i have ever seen. I mean, your car gets it activated and you are behind someone, that guy doesnt got a chance at all to defend when your car runs 30kph higher.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

agip

Its the most stupid and artificial thing I've seen in my years following F1.

Giblet
Giblet

So now two cars on equal pace following closely will be passing each other every other lap? Just trading?

Great.....
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

kalinka
kalinka

Hope that they'll all agree not to run it after winter testing. Like KERS this year. Sure there will be tests with teammates to test how it operates, and I'm sure they'll found it ridiculous. Maybe the small teams wouldn't agree, because they could get big tv-time overtaking some faster cars on the straigth...but it will get boring after some time when they would get overtaken again in next corner.

nacho
nacho

Wouldn't the movable wing make it highly diffucult to runaway, even a slower car could hang behind a faster car with it? Or 2 or more cars could work together passing each other and a poor guy ahead of the road would be quickly caught.

King Six
King Six

The adjustable rear wing returns to its high-downforce state as soon as the driver presses his brakes. So that should clear up any confusion regarding what it does during an overtaking manoeuvre.

It activates when the car's within one second and deactivates when the driver presses the brakes.
At the meeting of the FIA World Motor Sport Council in Geneva in June 2010, an adjustable rear wing system was confirmed as an addition to the 2011 rules.[2] It will be introduced to aid overtaking, serving as a substitute for the F-duct system. In a similar system to the KERS regulator used in 2009, the adjustable rear wing would only be available under certain conditions; namely, drivers will only be able to use it when they are within one second of the car in front, but it would not be usable within the first two laps of a race except in the case of an early safety car. The system is expected to offer drivers an additional 15 km/h (9.3 mph) when passing,[69] and will deactivate when the driver first touches the brakes after using the rear wing. The concept, which has been negatively received by drivers and fans alike,[70] could be dropped if it proves impractical or unmanageable.[71]
The sources are there, Autosport. But they're old so you need to subscribe.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Formu ... al_changes

---

Also I remember reading that reduces the angle of attack (and thus drag) by lifting the wing up instead of pulling it down, thus if the mechanism does fail it defaults to the high drag setting which is much safer.

bjpower
bjpower

i put money on accusations of "cheating" by the wings being flexible when in the low setting. im thinking July maybe august.

gridwalker
gridwalker

Thanks for the info guys. I am glad to see that they have regulated it with a failsafe position : designing them so that the wing defaults to a high downforce setting is extremely wise.
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

King Six
King Six

Anyone here able to give insight on how or if the EBD's will work for 2011 considering that they've finally got 'round to banning the dubious diffusers?

Carlo's
Carlo's

King Six wrote:Anyone here able to give insight on how or if the EBD's will work for 2011 considering that they've finally got 'round to banning the dubious diffusers?
I guess it will still have the positive influence on the car, but definitely not as good as with DDD's.

gridwalker
gridwalker

I guess they will have to simply blow over the diffuser, rather than through the slots that were created using the "hole that is not a hole" loophole that is being closed to ban the DDD.

Unless someone gets creative with their exhaust venting, it is doubtful we will see anything near the complexity of the 2010 EBD.
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."