German GP 2011 - Nürburgring

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
raymondu999

Re: German GP 2011 - Nürburgring

Can anyone please tell me why Jenson is (at the time of this writing) labelled as having came 3rd in the race? I'm referring to this: http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/ ... 12348.html
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Pierce89

Both Red bull drivers have admitted that they had nothing for Alonso and Hamilton. The RB7 might still be marginally the quickest car, but the two best drivers in the world showed everyone why they're considered the two best drivers in the world. I still believe though, that either one of them would be even quicker in the Red Bull. I believe Fred and Lewie are head and shoulders above Markie Mark and the Sea bass Bunch
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

zeph
zeph

HampusA wrote:
zeph wrote:I agree that Hamilton was pure awesome today, but I don't think Alonso could have fended that off. He just rolled out of the pit lane on cold tires, and I think it would have been a collision if he had tried.
I don´t know about that really. Hamilton believe it or not have huge respect for Alonso. He won´t exactly make room for Hamilton.
And it goes both ways really. Alonso knows Hamilton and what he can do.

Maybe I wasn't clear.

What I meant was that Hamilton carried much greater momentum and Alonso just came out of the pit lane on cold tires. The only way he could have stopped Hamilton's surge was by outright throwing his car in front of the McLaren and that would have certainly ended the race for both of them. I certainly did not mean that Hamilton would have crashed into him.

Morteza

raymondu999 wrote:Can anyone please tell me why Jenson is (at the time of this writing) labelled as having came 3rd in the race? I'm referring to this: http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/ ... 12348.html
Formula 1 website does this from time to time. They make mistakes like this, don't be surprised.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Traction

Pierce89 wrote:Both Red bull drivers have admitted that they had nothing for Alonso and Hamilton. The RB7 might still be marginally the quickest car, but the two best drivers in the world showed everyone why they're considered the two best drivers in the world. I still believe though, that either one of them would be even quicker in the Red Bull. I believe Fred and Lewie are head and shoulders above Markie Mark and the Sea bass Bunch
Mclaren certainly had the fastest car on the track today, by 10 k's an hour and I reckon they nailed the set up for the track as well.
Generally I don't care about what people say. I have to be clear with myself. When everything goes well, people celebrate you, when you make mistakes people criticize you.
Sebastian Vettel

HampusA

zeph wrote:Maybe I wasn't clear.

What I meant was that Hamilton carried much greater momentum and Alonso just came out of the pit lane on cold tires. The only way he could have stopped Hamilton's surge was by outright throwing his car in front of the McLaren and that would have certainly ended the race for both of them. I certainly did not mean that Hamilton would have crashed into him.
I see, well that was his only shot and thankfully he had enough momentum to keep it on the outside. We saw with Webber that if you don´t have enough momentum the door will close like Hamilton did.

Certainly a great overtake by Hamilton who spotted early what he had to do in order to get past Alonso. Something i don´t think he would have done if Alonso would have kept the lead there.

Was a miss-understanding from my part, i did not want to imply you meant that Hamilton would have crashed into him.
The truth will come out...

beelsebob
beelsebob

Traction wrote:That I did..your memory serves you well.I stand by my statement. Based on the race that Vettel had today he should have been even further down...like 10th or something...he was crappy today...
I'm not sure how those two statements align – how can you stand by your statement that Vettel's 4th was a great drive, but also say he was crappy today?

ringo

Traction wrote:
Pierce89 wrote:Both Red bull drivers have admitted that they had nothing for Alonso and Hamilton. The RB7 might still be marginally the quickest car, but the two best drivers in the world showed everyone why they're considered the two best drivers in the world. I still believe though, that either one of them would be even quicker in the Red Bull. I believe Fred and Lewie are head and shoulders above Markie Mark and the Sea bass Bunch
Mclaren certainly had the fastest car on the track today, by 10 k's an hour and I reckon they nailed the set up for the track as well.
what of button's car?

mclaren looked like 3rd fastest to me. Hamlton couldn't run away from webber or Alonso, and actually lost out when the got clean air.
For Sure!!

beelsebob
beelsebob

Traction wrote:
Fastest car on the track is not measured by speed on the straight – if it were, Lotus would never have beaten Ferrari into a pulp back in the day.

Traction

beelsebob wrote:
Traction wrote:
Fastest car on the track is not measured by speed on the straight – if it were, Lotus would never have beaten Ferrari into a pulp back in the day.
Overall..
Generally I don't care about what people say. I have to be clear with myself. When everything goes well, people celebrate you, when you make mistakes people criticize you.
Sebastian Vettel

Traction

ringo wrote:
Traction wrote:
what of button's car?

mclaren looked like 3rd fastest to me. Hamlton couldn't run away from webber or Alonso, and actually lost out when the got clean air.
Yet when LH was out front with a clear track he was clocking 1.34 odd per lap so I don't see how he lost out. His upgrades and his set up clearly worked out well. There is no ways Mcclaren was third fastest.
Sebastian Vettel

Shrieker

Traction wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
Traction wrote: Mclaren certainly had the fastest car on the track today, by 10 k's an hour and I reckon they nailed the set up for the track as well.
Overall..

Jenson Button disagrees.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

myurr
myurr

Traction wrote:
ringo wrote:
Traction wrote:Mclaren certainly had the fastest car on the track today, by 10 k's an hour and I reckon they nailed the set up for the track as well.
what of button's car?

Yet when LH was out front with a clear track he was clocking 1.34 odd per lap so I don't see how he lost out. His upgrades and his set up clearly worked out well. There is no ways Mcclaren was third fastest.
In the first stint I think the Ferrari and Red Bull were slightly quicker. In the second stint it was just about even. Third stint and the Red Bull fell back with Ferrari just about hanging on to the McLaren. Final stint Lewis had a slight edge. Pretty even between those top three, with Lewis proving the best driver on the day, just ahead of Alonso with Webber beaten to third. With the way he was driving today I think that had Lewis been at the wheel of the Ferrari or Red Bull then the outcome would have been the same, probably the same for Alonso, but Webber would definitely not have been as close had he been in one of the other cars.

Behind them I think Massa and Sutil drove better races than Vettel, and it was only the natural pace of that car and a better pit stop that gifted fourth to an the off colour German.

ringo

Traction wrote:
ringo wrote:
what of button's car?

http://en.mclarenf-1.com/index.php?page ... k%20Webber
Hamilton faster on average only after the third stint started.
Up to that point webber has more faster laps.

That's up to half of the race webber was faster by a margin lap for lap. And this is the second best RB driver vs the best Mac driver.

At the end of the day Hamilton was only 35 laps vs 25 laps quicker to webber.
And we know webber's race was spent behind Alonso and in traffic. Hardly a dominant car here.

Compared to Alonos, they are literally neck and neck.
Hamilton has 30 laps faster and Alonso has 30 laps faster.

Looking on the chart it was a boxing match, blow for blow.
http://en.mclarenf-1.com/index.php?page ... o%20Alonso

Hard to say the car was best today. Sounds cliched but the driver made the difference. Proof is in the slower teammates, Massa was actually very good compared to Button. So you can say the Mclaren in the hands of Button, who is very good, was the worst of the 3 cars.

Massa whooped Button 25 to 10 laps. And i know Massa isn't not light years ahead of Jenson in terms of pace; though traffic skews jensons true speed.
For Sure!!

myurr
myurr

And yet when Webber got in front he never managed to pull even a two second gap. All three cars were pretty evenly matched, although we'll never know how much of that was down to the drivers and how much the cars.