Sauber C31 Ferrari

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Sauber C31 Ferrari

I think we could have three things here or combination:

1. drag reduction. higher pressure Air from under the nose or from the cockpit will fill the low pressure gap.

2. The signal hole for the front wing f-duct.

3. Just a simple device to create air circulation to cool the driver.

πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

β˜„οΈ Myth of the five suns. β˜„οΈ

β˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈβ˜€οΈ
LxVxFxHxN

PlatinumZealot

raymondu999 wrote: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7giPDNHf0Uo[/youtube]
Lord God, somebody buy this guy some English lessons!

He's lucky he's a good driver.

LxVxFxHxN

Robbobnob
Robbobnob

n smikle wrote:I think we could have three things here or combination:

1. drag reduction. higher pressure Air from under the nose or from the cockpit will fill the low pressure gap.

2. The signal hole for the front wing f-duct.

3. Just a simple device to create air circulation to cool the driver.

Or maybe a manufacturing fault... haha i joke
"I continuously go further and further learning about my own limitations, my body limitations, psychological limitations. It's a way of life for me." - Ayrton Senna

Fil

It's clearly a vent for air to escape from; logical assumption is it would be hot air extraction..

What's in the front nose that would need cooling?

In terms of it being for an F-Duct of some sort, I don't remember a single team's F-Duct intake being anywhere near that large, so that's my most basic logic for dispelling that concept for this.
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

blackwell68
blackwell68

Is it possible to blow the side pods to increase the flow through the radiators?

MIKEY_!

The only things in the nose that need cooling are suspension components, power steering and sweaty feet.

PlatinumZealot

blackwell68 wrote:Is it possible to blow the side pods to increase the flow through the radiators?
Ferrari had an exhaust air ejector installed last year on their car. It supposedly helped radiator cooling.

LxVxFxHxN

bhall
bhall

Is development allowed during a shakedown?

raymondu999

I don't think so. But I could be wrong.
ε€±θ΄₯θ€…ζ‰Ύη†η”±οΌŒζˆεŠŸθ€…ζ‰Ύζ–Ήζ³•

kris
kris

raymondu999 wrote:I don't think so. But I could be wrong.
I think the launch is just a business affair rather than an technical one. So couldn't the just show a dummy car during launch, and use an actual version which they intend to test in the shakedown.

raymondu999

Yes. But I think bhallq's point was asking whether or not, for example, they could use different parts between the 1st and 2nd laps of the shakedown.

kris
kris

raymondu999 wrote:Yes. But I think bhallq's point was asking whether or not, for example, they could use different parts between the 1st and 2nd laps of the shakedown.
Oh ok.. I remember reading somewhere on this forums that shakedown was basically a 50KM limit test with no other restrictions. Do not remember if this was the before or after the testing restriction introduced in the recent times.

[later..] Found the link here viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5792

MIKEY_!

Did they use two cars? Then they could have different setups.

raymondu999

Mikey it's not just setup - take a look at the pictures a couple of posts above. One has a monkey seat wing. The other hasn't. I think the shakedown is limited to one car? Or maybe 2 cars at half distance each? Either way I don't remember much about the shakedown regs otherwise

MIKEY_!

That's what I meant by setup. But they could also run different (actual) setups for a little extra data to tune things before testing or to check their simulator data matches at an earlier opportunity.