2019 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Peter1919
Peter1919

Re: 2019 Scuderia Toro Rosso F1 Team - Honda

miguelalvesreis wrote:
04 Mar 2019, 23:39
Last year's Toro Rosso gearboxes weren't already for Honda's engines?
They were but this year they are using RedBull gearboxes and are using the ones designed for the RB14 (i.e. last year's RedBull) at least to start with.

dtro
dtro

Peter1919 wrote:
05 Mar 2019, 01:16
miguelalvesreis wrote:
They were but this year they are using RedBull gearboxes and are using the ones designed for the RB14 (i.e. last year's RedBull) at least to start with.
Beat me to the punch! :lol: 8)

miguelalvesreis
miguelalvesreis

Peter1919 wrote:
miguelalvesreis wrote:
How does that works? Aren't ratios fixed for the year?

Are they using ratios calculated for renault's engine with honda?

Or are you just referring to the gearbox casing due to suspension pickup points?

Enviado do meu SM-T820 através do Tapatalk

Datco
Datco

Peter1919 wrote:
miguelalvesreis wrote:
Makes no sense at all. Sounds like a backward step. And why make 2 different gearboxes, that would be more expensive. Isn't the Honda PU sitting further back (with turbo at the front) that requires a shorter length gearbox than Renault. I know this was said in the article, but maybe something lost in translation.

etusch

If they decide to use longer wheelbase, what is the cause to make shorter gb. At the end it is Redbull's gb not Renault.

dren

miguelalvesreis wrote:
05 Mar 2019, 14:13
Peter1919 wrote:
miguelalvesreis wrote:
How does that works? Aren't ratios fixed for the year?

Are they using ratios calculated for renault's engine with honda?

Or are you just referring to the gearbox casing due to suspension pickup points?

Enviado do meu SM-T820 através do Tapatalk
Ratios are fixed for the year but they don't have to use whatever Red Bull was using with Renault. They are using last year's Red Bull rear end and share a few parts with the 2019 Red Bull as well. I'd guess some of those parts would be inboard suspension components.
Honda!

dren

Datco wrote:
05 Mar 2019, 16:06
Peter1919 wrote:
miguelalvesreis wrote:
Makes no sense at all. Sounds like a backward step. And why make 2 different gearboxes, that would be more expensive. Isn't the Honda PU sitting further back (with turbo at the front) that requires a shorter length gearbox than Renault. I know this was said in the article, but maybe something lost in translation.
Apparently the RB rear end mounted up to the Honda PU with little modification. Using last year's RB rear end allowed the team to focus on other areas of the car sooner.
Honda!

McMika98
McMika98

Last year TR were already using inner gears from RB so no change. RB already know the gear ratio. This year STR have gearbox casing from RB14 for now complemented with last years RB suspension. Given Gasly has already wrecked few gearboxes and suspension arms, RB will be thin on parts so probably wont be seeing the new gearboxes in STR until after summer maybe.

HPD

The packaging of Toro Rosso's STR14 with the Honda engine is the "most complex" the Faenza squad has ever undertaken, according to technical director Jody Egginton.

"Our chassis this year is probably the most complex we've done in terms of integrating it with the power unit. It's far more complex than last year's," Egginton said.

"We've not been able to do that because we've become smart overnight but we've had the opportunity to work with the power unit supplier to optimise it all.

"And Red Bull have done the same as far as they're concerned.

"Honda is delivering an engine that to all intents and purposes is the same across the two teams. Red Bull seem happy and we're very happy with what we've got."

"It's just a case of starting that design process earlier," he said. "It can be something quite minor, a wastegate actuator position.

"It's not a significant component but if you can think about it early enough and put it somewhere out the way where it suits everybody, it's not that something at the last minute you realise 'bugger, it's sitting out here'.

"With a customer power unit you get what you're given. The moment you start working with a supplier whose saying 'what do you want?' rather than saying 'how do we best use what we're given?'.

"Last year with Honda we had some possibility to make some changes but not so many because the engine was confirmed late-2017. For this year we've been able to ask some questions with Red Bull and Honda."

"If you can optimise the cooling as tight as possible you start needing less volume to put everything in, which gives the aero guys more freedom," he said.

"It allows you to integrate things more and gives the aero guys more freedom to do what they want without carrying round a bit too much cooling or a bodywork configuration that maybe wasn't quite right.

"The second year gives you that opportunity.

"On top of that, we were so aligned with Honda early last year and have a good relationship with them that it's been easier to have that communication and make sure we're doing the right thing.

"Then Red Bull come on board as well, you have further impetus on that process and it's just easier to find a solution. It's more time working with the PU supplier and having discussions earlier."

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/toro ... x/4348613/

Hino
Hino

Squid
Squid

Any time Abiteboul is unhappy, I'm happy.

etusch

He is completely wrong. He talks as if his team can not forward because of there is toro rosso. If we pull out toror rosso from F1 you can be up 1 place but you are still fast as how fast now. Nothing will be changed from point of technical abilities, lap times.
I’m not challenging, but I’m just saying how do we move forward for teams like us, like McLaren, like Williams?

GhostF1
GhostF1

How does that affect Renault in the slightest...

True the RB14 goodies probably helped a bit, but their aero development and the fact the team have said this is the first car with proper integration of the Honda engine and that the engine is pretty high on performance at the moment... it was always expected they would jump up in performance.

Abiteboul moans religiously, on a daily basis.

ivanlesk
ivanlesk

Yes and RB didn't have any use of technical data from TR over the years?

I'm no fan of the man, but he was referencing to all b-teams and use TR (and their lack of TD as an example).

C'mon guy, stop bitching and whining around when somebody says something.

Espresso
Espresso

“Toro Rosso had no technical director for most of last season. It’s very clear what went on. So we don’t even need a technical director to produce what is a very competitive car. For us that’s a problem.”
Abiteboul should stop moaning and put that energy in improving his team. I still have a soft spot for RIC and like to see RIC do well.

Truth is Torro Rosso got a great technical design team. It's not depending on 1 person like James Key. Off course Key put the pieces together...but it is team effort in the end and the team keep delivering without Key.

Abiteboul should in fact amongst others praise Torro Rosso with the innovative designs they come up with all the time without being a 'front-runner' team. Renault did copy a lot of concept and use it...
(and nothing wrong with that....it's what all teams do....)

Might as wel start counting how many design features from Ferrari, Red Bull, Torro Rosso are applied to the Renault...
Do you feel the need to post, comment or criticize in this forum?
Please substantiate (why, how, what) your reply!
This is no twitter or chatbox but a forum.

Stay friendly and keep away bashing, trolling & baiting from our wonderful technical forum. --> Forum Guide