2021 Pecking order prediction

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Jambier

Re: 2021 Pecking order prediction

LM10 wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 18:43

Honda not fully developing due to pulling out of F1 does not make sense to me. There is no reason for them not to push even if it was their last season (which it isn't as they're gonna develop 2022 PU as well) because who would not want their brand to be written on the title winning car at the end? Also, there could not be a better satisfaction after all Honda needed to go through in the first couple of years.

RedBull will be fighting for the title in 2021. They seem to be really serious about their business this time, more than ever. Their opponent will be Mercedes works team, not Aston Martin and McLaren.
Yes, Honda will push. Gains will not be enough though and Mercedes will easily win championship.

Renault is working on 2022 new engine with Mercedes concept since 2020, and even 2023 engine to bring it together with 2022

Ferrari will work on 2022 engine which is new also.

But anyway, aren't engine banned from upgrade in 2021 as it was in 2020 ?

LM10
LM10

Jambier wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 12:07
LM10 wrote:
09 Mar 2021, 18:43

Honda not fully developing due to pulling out of F1 does not make sense to me. There is no reason for them not to push even if it was their last season (which it isn't as they're gonna develop 2022 PU as well) because who would not want their brand to be written on the title winning car at the end? Also, there could not be a better satisfaction after all Honda needed to go through in the first couple of years.

RedBull will be fighting for the title in 2021. They seem to be really serious about their business this time, more than ever. Their opponent will be Mercedes works team, not Aston Martin and McLaren.
Yes, Honda will push. Gains will not be enough though and Mercedes will easily win championship.

Renault is working on 2022 new engine with Mercedes concept since 2020, and even 2023 engine to bring it together with 2022

Ferrari will work on 2022 engine which is new also.

But anyway, aren't engine banned from upgrade in 2021 as it was in 2020 ?
I always thought that one in-season upgrade will be allowed in 2021, but I’m confused and not sure anymore wether that’s still the case or not.

Wouter

Jambier wrote:
You are joking, aren't you? I hope so.
How do you know that the gains Honda made are not enough?
I think they are more than enough.
The Power of Dreams!

Herr_Koos

Same story every year...

The only thing we know is that we know nothing until Q3 of the first race. Speculation is fun but ultimately pointless.

El Scorchio

Wouter wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 13:08
Jambier wrote:
To be fair he could fire the exact same question right back at you. It's just two differing opinions at this point in time.

Tizz

Wouter wrote:
Jambier wrote:
I'm sorry Wouter but I think he's right. But Honda is not the problem, the aero is. It is the same disaster at the beginning of every season. I said it before and I think it is still the case that the only time you can beat Mercedes is when they don't have the time to think. And they took longer time to think about this years car than RB.
Last edited by Tizz on 10 Mar 2021, 13:36, edited 1 time in total.

Wouter

El Scorchio wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 13:19
Wouter wrote:
Jambier wrote:
To be fair he could fire the exact same question right back at you. It's just two differing opinions at this point in time.
You've got that right.

However, I get so tired that everyone just assumes Mercedes has the best engine again.
The Power of Dreams!

etusch

El Scorchio wrote:
Wouter wrote:
Jambier wrote:
I think @Wouter could say it according to Honda statements which we can read from motorsport websites. They(honda) are happy with what they get on dyno and says it match with their expectations. So I think they calculated the gap to mercedes last year. I think they added on it some development margin of Mercedes for this year and calculate where they are now. If their estimation of Mercedes development rate to this year matches with reality that we can see when season started and If Honda are happy according to these datas then we can say they did enough gains. If mercedes makes big jump again then it is same story with last year. But we can not know it until first race which is not far away. Every fan will speak hopefull about his favourite team, it is another fact.

Wouter

Tizz wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 13:28
Wouter wrote:
Jambier wrote:
I'm sorry Wouter but I think he's right. Honda is not the problem, the aero is. It is the same disaster at the beginning of every season. I said it before and I think it is still the case that the only time you can beat Mercedes is when they don't have the time to think. And they took longer time to think about this years car than RB.
RBR has also worked on the RB16B from mid season last year. I don't see the problem.
They also tested the new floor with different pieces on the car at the end of the season.
I think they have a great car from the beginning of the first race.
I know, I am cocky. :)
Last edited by Wouter on 10 Mar 2021, 13:36, edited 1 time in total.
The Power of Dreams!

El Scorchio

Wouter wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 13:30
El Scorchio wrote:
Wouter wrote:

You've got that right.

However, I get so tired that everyone just assumes Mercedes has the best engine again.
Definitely. It's far too early to tell either way, but right now a bold prediction either way is just as valid. It would be great if it's really close (and also if Ferrari have got their act together!)

Wouter

El Scorchio wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 13:36
Wouter wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:

You've got that right.

Definitely. It's far too early to tell either way, but right now a bold prediction either way is just as valid. It would be great if it's really close (and also if Ferrari have got their act together!)
I also think that Ferrari has got their act together. I will cheer for Sainz! :D It would mean a lot to him.
The Power of Dreams!

El Scorchio

etusch wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:
Wouter wrote:

I think @Wouter could say it according to Honda statements which we can read from motorsport websites. They(honda) are happy with what they get on dyno and says it match with their expectations. So I think they calculated the gap to mercedes last year. I think they added on it some development margin of Mercedes for this year and calculate where they are now. If their estimation of Mercedes development rate to this year matches with reality that we can see when season started and If Honda are happy according to these datas then we can say they did enough gains. If mercedes makes big jump again then it is same story with last year. But we can not know it until first race which is not far away. Every fan will speak hopefull about his favourite team, it is another fact.
But I'd say that's really just picking and choosing what you want to believe because of who has said it, rather than really giving credence to all sources. Of course RBR are going to make positive noises and you are right of course, it's only natural to cling to it if it's what you hope for. Mercedes are saying the same things though, as are most of the teams so I'm not sure how sensible it is to say one team is definitely right with all they say and the others are all wrong. (and that does of course go both ways for those only talking up Ferrari or Mercedes and disregarding all the other teams too.)

However, you're absolutely right in that it's all really a mystery to us right now, which is why these weeks are so exciting when all the noise starts! As I said to Wouter, I really hope we are in for a thrilling season with close racing all along the grid. I feel like the ingredients are closest to being there this time round.

El Scorchio

Wouter wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 13:38
El Scorchio wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 13:36
Wouter wrote:

You've got that right.

I also think that Ferrari has got their act together. I will cheer for Sainz! :D It would mean a lot to him.
Same- there's just something really likeable about him isn't there. And I think he's underrated by many as well. A true three horse race could be spectacular.

etusch

El Scorchio wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 13:44

But I'd say that's really just picking and choosing what you want to believe because of who has said it, rather than really giving credence to all sources. Of course RBR are going to make positive noises and you are right of course, it's only natural to cling to it if it's what you hope for. Mercedes are saying the same things though, as are most of the teams so I'm not sure how sensible it is to say one team is definitely right with all they say and the others are all wrong. (and that does of course go both ways for those only talking up Ferrari or Mercedes and disregarding all the other teams too.)

However, you're absolutely right in that it's all really a mystery to us right now, which is why these weeks are so exciting when all the noise starts! As I said to Wouter, I really hope we are in for a thrilling season with close racing all along the grid. I feel like the ingredients are closest to being there this time round.
Mercedes also expect a powerfull honda for their last season.
Second part of your comment is our only exitement until now unfortunately because of Merc dominance. I hope this season's winter testing excitement can last until the last race as wondering if redbull can beat mercedes when season is over.

El Scorchio

etusch wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 13:55
El Scorchio wrote:
10 Mar 2021, 13:44

Mercedes also expect a powerfull honda for their last season.
Second part of your comment is our only exitement until now unfortunately because of Merc dominance. I hope this season's winter testing excitement can last until the last race as wondering if redbull can beat mercedes when season is over.
As I'm sure Honda and RBR expect a powerful Mercedes! (even if they don't mention it outwardly)
Likewise, a really close fight will do wonders for the sport, with two or more teams genuinely in the mix for wins at multiple circuits all season long. It's been a while.