Williams FW45

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
organic

Re: Williams FW45

SiLo

organic wrote:
20 Sep 2023, 17:36
Xavier Gàzquez 📸

https://i.imgur.com/17QThA1.jpeg
Teams seem to be converging on really thick, rounded floor entrances. Is this a more efficient entrance? Does it help direct air where they want to go more?
Felipe Baby!

pipm1
pipm1

I've wondered that too, Red Bull's has always had a large radius. I don't know why though, but could it be that it allows the stagnation point to drift in a favourable/the air to flow in smoother depending on car rake/speed? Probably not, is just an idea. :)

Farnborough
Farnborough

SiLo wrote:
22 Sep 2023, 13:04
organic wrote:
20 Sep 2023, 17:36
Xavier Gàzquez 📸

https://i.imgur.com/17QThA1.jpeg
Teams seem to be converging on really thick, rounded floor entrances. Is this a more efficient entrance? Does it help direct air where they want to go more?
If you look at the top surface of the leading edge of floor, as it curves downward going back along the car. Then if that was a very thin in depth it would provide lift from the underside, especially given it's angle of attack to the incoming air.
By making it thicker, much deeper in section, and giving something of a "belly" curve to it, then it should cancel that lift with the now opposed under surface. Should be relatively efficient too, as it moves the air from front leading edge more gently and without trying to break up laminar flow characteristics, leaving the airflow more efficiently attached to surface as it moves further back along the car.

Think more of a leading edge of an aircraft wing for appreciation of this detail.

organic

Quite a beamwing... Is the largest BW element I've seen in the new regs

Stu

organic wrote:
01 Nov 2023, 08:42
Quite a beamwing... Is the largest BW element I've seen in the new regs

https://i.imgur.com/K5Yn2yn.jpeg
Single element, using all of the available legality box. A low air density special!!
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Moctecus

On Sargeant's car, they were running a second element on the beam wing throughout the weekend.
Perhaps related to him having to run the pre-Silverstone front wing?

via Motorsport Images

Farnborough
Farnborough

In that half~half comparison photo above, look at the top rear front wishbone shape/location/pickup point as it looks like it's lowered for Albon example.

Very slight alignment of photo image (specifically alongside the tub, but minor) but vertically all but the same view, with the two showing differences in chassis arrangement one to the other.

The Albon one showing that rear link dropped in comparison.

Moctecus

Everything apart from the front wing and beam wing looks identical to me:

Stu

Farnborough wrote:
01 Nov 2023, 12:16
In that half~half comparison photo above, look at the top rear front wishbone shape/location/pickup point as it looks like it's lowered for Albon example.

Very slight alignment of photo image (specifically alongside the tub, but minor) but vertically all but the same view, with the two showing differences in chassis arrangement one to the other.

The Albon one showing that rear link dropped in comparison.
I would say that they are the same, nice little up-wash detail at the hub end.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Farnborough
Farnborough

I think you're all right and that I was conflating? The lead edge of sidepod with the rear arm, on a small screen.

Can see now, in full size, that's the light illumination of that lead floor edge in LS car :oops:

Mark4211

In a Sky F1 segment on dashboard displays, Albon revealed that Williams will be changing their steering wheels from 2024, with the most notable change being the actual display being mounted back onto the wheel, since the last change ten years ago in 2014.